Clod 3-motor ESC?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
hardedge
Approved Member

Clod 3-motor ESC?

Post by hardedge »

I have one for two motors and I've jury-rigged my Jurassic SCI for 3 but it's in use. Anybody know a reliable ESC for 3 stock motors?
The last man standing has often cheated...

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: Clod 3-motor ESC?

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Bear with me but as I understand it if you want to run say 3 motors take your motors and wire them in parallel. Then to figure out your esc let's say you have 3 - 27 turn stock can motors. 27/3= 9 so you'd need an esc rated for at least 9 turn motors. Going by that I'd try a Duratrax Intellispeed 8T. New I see them going for anywhere from $60 - $70 online. It can take a sustained current draw of 420 amps with a burst up to 1410 amps so I think you'd be okay. You are dealing in very unique territory as I'm not sure many other people have ever been in your situation lol.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

Oh no!! Math!! :lol:

UH-OH! Forward only! Is that a stream?

mavrick0
Approved Member

Post by mavrick0 »

Personally I'd be looking more at the 1/8 scale ESC's. They are a lot more robust and usually have better/higher BEC. If it was my project I would look at a Gen2 RX8 with a 6 or 7.4v @ 7amp BEC to power your steering servos and good for up to 6s. Not that you'll go that high but if you find the truck too slow on 2s then you can always up it to a 3s battery without worry.
A off roader may be able to jump and run around a track. A on roader may be able to run circles around the road but a monster truck will run over anything and everyone.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

http://www.duratrax.com/motors/dtxm1075.html

Looks like it has reverse to me?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Castle Creations makes the Mamba Max Pro..... a brushless esc that has Brushed mode.
It has NO brushed motor limits.
You will need to make up wiring harnesses for the 3 motors to plug into it's leads though.

If that's not enough they also make a 1/8 scale esc called the Mamba monster, and it also has a brushed mode in it's programming.

If you choose to go this route, I strongly suggest getting the programming card. You can program it manually, but the card makes things a LOT easier.

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 »

Andy made a good recommendation. The Duratrax esc's do not deliver power very well, its what I started with in my clod and hated it. If you are just building a cruiser and don't care about the potential of the stock motors, then it would be fine though.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

Gotta tell you, $200 for a speed controller is a bit beyond my disability check budget in the overall scheme of things.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

A programming card for the Mamba Max Pro? After finally escaping 32 years of all things computing there's an ESC that needs a programming card? I long for the days when you pulled the trigger to go forward and braking was what happened before you went in reverse.
I'm not sure that overall benefits of all changes are commensurate with the increases in complexity and cost --and not just a reflex response to the "Tide, New Tide, New and improved Tide, New Tide with Bleach, Borax, and Brightners" way of thinking.
Last edited by hardedge on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

I sit corrected. The descriptions on eBay indicated it didn't have reverse.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

I'm not really looking for power. I need mobility. It's fun, not competition. A hobby --you know, those things that live in the Shire. :) I've owned a Corvette, built my Z28 into a 10-econd car, and made my 6-cyl S-10 SS pickup faster than most 8cyl vehicles --years ago. Not only am I over the need for speed, I can't afford it any more. :wink:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I get that, but an esc that runs 3 motors..... well since you have built some fast cars....

Remember the old adage about good, fast, and cheap?....pick any 2?..... :mrgreen:

mavrick0
Approved Member

Post by mavrick0 »

To do something like this, even without speed, is not going to be cheap. You can either watch ebay or some of the facebook groups for people selling used ESC's. I haven't personally used them but I know a few racers that use the Hobbywing 1/8 ESC's in their e-buggies and they swear by them. I know a lot of people that swear at castle stuff, me included. I've seen more castle failures at the track and just out bashing then I've seen anything else. As much as the price is higher in the end what is cheaper, running a budget esc and then having to replace it because it melts or buying something once and never having to worry about it again.
A off roader may be able to jump and run around a track. A on roader may be able to run circles around the road but a monster truck will run over anything and everyone.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

mavrick0 wrote:I know a few racers that use the Hobbywing 1/8 ESC's in their e-buggies and they swear by them.
I like hobbywing, but they did away with brushed mode on thier brushless stuff. not sure if they offer a high power brushed esc. (?)

I know a lot of people that swear at castle stuff, me included.

Myself also, so it pained me to post that, although my issue is with their motors.

I've seen more castle failures at the track and just out bashing then I've seen anything else.
Would you believe it's tekin that fails the most here?

Sometimes I think it's just people pushing the limits too far.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

To do something like this, even without speed, is not going to be cheap.
I'm not worried about cheap but I do have an issue when something is so expensive that it detracts from the ability to purchase other needed items --especially when buying the big ticket item is mostly capricious.

But I think I've eliminated the need for a third motor so that should help greatly.