My Clod Pounder

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: My Clod Pounder

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Its from the Redcat Racing Ground Pounder mt. Brett at crawford performance sells just the side plates for $35. Electronics tray and spacers have to be bought separately.

WWhiskey

Post by WWhiskey »

shadowfocus603 wrote:Its from the Redcat Racing Ground Pounder mt. Brett at crawford performance sells just the side plates for $35. Electronics tray and spacers have to be bought separately.
Thanks,, looks great!
Sit down, strap in, shut up and hold on!

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

So I got a full run in today with no kabooms. Got my servos from hobbyking and took a bit of time to bench set the steering link. Nailed it pretty close. This truck is like nothing I've ever driven. 4 wheel steer is a handful at 20+. I managed to drain my 8.4 4200mah batts without breaking anything. Only issue I have now is I need to brace the rear frame more. I rolled the truck and bent the rear portion of the frame drastically to the right much like KingKlod did on his pounder. I was running no body so that's part of it as well. I'm going to order a couple extra braces from Brett and see if that helps. Otherwise I'll try doubling up the plates on the chassis. The roll and bend flaked some of the paint which irked me but its not unexpected. As a driver she is gonna get dirty and chipped. I'm not one for building shelf queens. I'm charging the packs now and I'm going to try to get the fiance to film for me since I'm not Joe Smooth with camera and radio like Andy lol.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Pics!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

:shock: You got it dirty!........ bout danged time..... :mrgreen:

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 »

Looks good!

Please give us a report on the servos after you have some time on them.

xDezor
Approved Member

Post by xDezor »

rex21 wrote:Looks good!

Please give us a report on the servos after you have some time on them.
+1
Rob

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Servo review will be no problem. I'll run the truck a few times this week and see what's up. So far so good though. More than anything the savers are helping but the servos themselves center perfectly and can turn the wheels full lock either direction even with a couple bricks weighing the chassis down. I've had a couple encounters with my fence that yanked the wheels good and have had no issues. I cringed bad the first time with shades of stripped servos past still lingering in my mind but the kimbroughs and metal gears served me well.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Big update tonight :o Stay tuned :mrgreen:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Got a pretty present in the mail tonight so after a bit of work I am pleased to present:

Where it's sitting now is about spot on where I want it. Am in the process of fabbing up the velcro side mounts. Should be done maybe tomorrow. Tried to run it tonight but parked it after hearing gears jumping. Turned out the nuts that hold the tube to the gearbox loosened and fell off allowing the tube to partially separate. Gonna grab some 6/32 hardware and do up the quick change mod. I'll pull the masks tomorrow after the paint has fully cured and I'll be able to call this truck (mostly) finished. Couple small things still to do but the bulk of the work is done.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Having seen this in person today, I must say, the pic doesn't do it justice.
That digger body is awesome! :thumbsup: (and this from a Bigfoot fan)

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Thanks Andy. Coming from you that's high praise.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

As most of you have probably seen I posted these pics for Truck of the Month.

After looking at those pics I realized how glaringly the wheels stood out as out of place. So I set to work today ripping the glue off the tires (going with the rubber band method) and doing some sanding and painting. Also, I absolutely hated trying to align the wheels on the 3d printed wideners I got from CPE and had troubles with the wheels not holding tight regardless of torque and threadlock. So I drilled the wheels and and wideners and threaded in some M5 bolts and did a bit of other detail work and here are the final results.

I know I still need to dab some black on the small moulded lug nuts on the front like I did on the back. I just got ahead of myself getting pics lol. Body has taken a bit of a beating so I will be trying to get another one for a show body. Next time around I am going to find someone to airbrush the flames on the front as I have never been happy with the way the Parma decals laid down. Last update is that I shortened the upper links by around .5" to get some negative caster going for the front to try and get some stability. Side positive to that was it rolled the motor down away from the frame so I don't have that contact to worry about anymore.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Nice work!
Hoping to see it in person Sunday.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

So today is somewhat bittersweet. I have officially closed the book on this truck. She went to a new home. Her new daddy seems like a good guy with lots of knowledge and the ability to treat her well. Here's what came home in her place :twisted:

Ofna Hyper SS converted to brushless. It has a 2650kv motor in it but otherwise came as a roller. Needs a couple suspension arms (cracked) and an esc (on the way, 120a Hobbywing clone, may or may not work out but hey $22 and the class rules say 2s so) and it needs a servo (up in the air here, need to do some research). I feel like I came out a bit upside down in the trade even considering I sent it with no servos but honestly I never really clicked with the Clod (I think the chassis deforming every run was the main culprit) and I am super happy with the Hyper. Fun days ahead.