My Clod Pounder

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: My Clod Pounder

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Yes both gearboxes have been prepped as per your method in your T2 thread. I made sure to remove the anti rotation bracket mounts as well.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

So... um... I got to run it today... :explosion: :oops:
I definitely should have listened to Andy on the fragility of those Traxxas servo gears. I didn't realize just HOW fragile they were. I was driving the truck out the door and bumped the door frame. Barely. And RIP. Okay. Tossed in another Traxxas servo (I know but I have waited a long while to run this) and CARRIED it outside and finally got to run it. Insane is the only word for it even with 17T pinions. Gonna have to dial out or eliminate the rear steering (probably dial it out some as I'm stubborn and want to have it). Corrections were hairy. I got a couple speed passes in until I lost it and head on slammed a curb.... Nothing actually broke that time however I bent my lower link mount, link, and popped the rod end off the ball. Popped the rod end back on and straightened the link bare handed and decided to just limp around to try and kill the packs. I was driving it around my legs to make a pass into the yard and bumped my foot. Guess what? Yup. Ripped my second servo :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: I broke down and ordered a couple coreless ball bearing metal gear servos from Hobbyking's USA East warehouse (Arkansas) and got a couple Kimbrough 124's from Omni Models on eBay. I need to dial the steering something fierce. It was crab walking a little bit as I was running it (while it lasted :evil: ). I'm going to pull the tires off the rims and break out a machined straight edge and zero the toe then dial in center on the servo link once I get the new servos and savers. It was an absolute hoot while it lasted though lol. I brought it inside and disassembled the lower link mount I bent and flattened it out as well as the inner axle stiffener (it was tweaked as well) and also straightened the mounting hardware. How I didn't :explosion: a tube or knuckle is beyond me. I'm surprised I didn't trash the servo when I hit the curb but I didn't. All in all an ok first run. I'll get new gears for the servos I stripped and put them back in the parts bin.

For those wondering I got two of these servos
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=70740
I'm pretty sure the EVX2 only puts 6.0 volts to the servo so they'll be around 18kg/cm (250 oz/in). Not bad at all for $20 a pop.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Glad you got to run it, now the process of break-upgrade-repeat has begun. :popcorn:

EDIT, make that *not* having link mounted shocks... LOL
Having link-mounted shocks probably saved you a lot. I don't run axle stiffeners by the way, just the stock axle braces and that's it. Usually it makes the weak point the hub/carrier, which is also..... the easiest part to change/replace. :idea:

Those servo's being power hungry concerns me though, as I do believe the EVX-2 only has like a 2.5 or 3A bec in it. I know mine is just barely happy running the analog units from CPE.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Yup, Andy has tested a lot of different applications, and Traxxas Servos are not reliable to say the least. I have learned the hard way as well. Glad you were able to get some run time on it.
Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

I don't have link mounted shocks. My shocks are mounted to the lower link mounts. I need to find a set of axle braces but I don't want to buy the whole stamped parts bag for them lol. I may have to unless I can find another option.

Edit: Shades of things to come 8)

Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I meant to say *not* having link mounted shocks. #-o

Verachy
Approved Member

Post by Verachy »

I really like how its looking! how durable are the lower links when they only are threaded rod?

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

They are durable enough to withstand a 20mph shot into a curb. The aluminum sleeving on them gives them strength as it is a very tight fit over the rod.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

So just a "small" update tonight. :twisted: Still waiting on the servos and savers so decided it was time to take advantage and do some cosmetic work. Hope you all enjoy.

Like I said before I know the Grave Digger thing has been done to death but I need to do it and get it out of my system lol. My next clod will be original (maybe lol).

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

This pic is a bit blurry but I didn't use flash so you can better see the actual color of the paint.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Last shot of the night. My electronics installation. I'm sure some will disagree with it but it's making the best use of the space available and everything is waterproof so it should be all good.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I like the color, hope it holds up against chipping. :thumbsup:

On the electronics, it took a minute for it to register what you did there. :shock:
Ummm... yeah, your gonna find out that ain't gonna' fly... :explosion:
Your gonna rip some wires and maybe break some casings if you bash your truck set up like that.
Your gonna need to fab some skids if you want to make that work.

Verachy
Approved Member

Post by Verachy »

shadowfocus603 wrote:Last shot of the night. My electronics installation. I'm sure some will disagree with it but it's making the best use of the space available and everything is waterproof so it should be all good.

i also debated placing my electronics under there, decided not to in the end, was too afraid of debris and dirt to damage my precious toros, im sure its a different story with the traxxas stuff though!

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

I like the color and it turned out really nice!

For the electronics, maybe find a skid plate for it so the wires are not exposed so much.
Jeff

WWhiskey

Post by WWhiskey »

shadowfocus603 wrote:So I recently acquired a Clod mess from a kid on Craigslist. The axles were kinda sorta maybe mated to a Hot Racing Serpent Eagle chassis. Cost me $120 for everything including the stock silver cans and the lipo EVX2. Also had the stock hardbody albeit in rough condition. Flirted with making my own chassis based on the Clod Killin Pounder that Fatboy came up with awhile back on RCMT. Decided to put that on hold and just bought a GP on ebay to use as a donor. Seller took a new RTR and stripped wheels, tires, body, and electronics and sold the rest. It was the v3 so it had the low profile motor mount as well as the double braced tranny. I set the axles and trans aside and set to work joining my clod axles to the bare chassis. Used the stock lowers as uppers mounted in the lowest shock mounting hole and used some homemade lowers at the bottom. Lowers are too long but at least I got it together enough to see what it would look like. Current wheelbase is about 14.5". It has Level3RC lower link mounts, upper link mounts, and 1 CPE servo mount in the front. For the rear servo I made my own copy of the front mount and tossed it on with a couple of waterproof Traxxas 2075 servos. I bought a reverser for the rear servo on eBay. Will be using the EVX2 along with 2 Traxxas 4200 id batteries and a set of Revo titans. I got them since one motor was made for reverse rotation so helpfully this will help guard against toasty motors. I have motor mounts on the way and will be using 17t pinions at least to start. I tend to drive hard and kaboom stuff often so I will be swapping in a CPE upper link mount as soon as it gets here and I still need to sleeve the steering and lower links. I also want to do the quick swap tube mod and have already modded all 4 knuckles for maximum steering throw. In the pics you will see I also cut and lowered the electronics tray for cog as well as clearance. Alright enough typing. Pics.

At some point I will paint the chassis plates and throw a Digger body on it from Parma. I know it's been done to death but it's something I have always wanted to do. Need to find someone who actually likes to shave tires to get mine cut down. First I need to get the links shortened to get the wheelbase at 13.5".
What frame is that?

It looks great. I'm thinking I need to get one!
Sit down, strap in, shut up and hold on!