My Clod Pounder

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

My Clod Pounder

Post by shadowfocus603 »

So I recently acquired a Clod mess from a kid on Craigslist. The axles were kinda sorta maybe mated to a Hot Racing Serpent Eagle chassis. Cost me $120 for everything including the stock silver cans and the lipo EVX2. Also had the stock hardbody albeit in rough condition. Flirted with making my own chassis based on the Clod Killin Pounder that Fatboy came up with awhile back on RCMT. Decided to put that on hold and just bought a GP on ebay to use as a donor. Seller took a new RTR and stripped wheels, tires, body, and electronics and sold the rest. It was the v3 so it had the low profile motor mount as well as the double braced tranny. I set the axles and trans aside and set to work joining my clod axles to the bare chassis. Used the stock lowers as uppers mounted in the lowest shock mounting hole and used some homemade lowers at the bottom. Lowers are too long but at least I got it together enough to see what it would look like. Current wheelbase is about 14.5". It has Level3RC lower link mounts, upper link mounts, and 1 CPE servo mount in the front. For the rear servo I made my own copy of the front mount and tossed it on with a couple of waterproof Traxxas 2075 servos. I bought a reverser for the rear servo on eBay. Will be using the EVX2 along with 2 Traxxas 4200 id batteries and a set of Revo titans. I got them since one motor was made for reverse rotation so helpfully this will help guard against toasty motors. I have motor mounts on the way and will be using 17t pinions at least to start. I tend to drive hard and kaboom stuff often so I will be swapping in a CPE upper link mount as soon as it gets here and I still need to sleeve the steering and lower links. I also want to do the quick swap tube mod and have already modded all 4 knuckles for maximum steering throw. In the pics you will see I also cut and lowered the electronics tray for cog as well as clearance. Alright enough typing. Pics.

At some point I will paint the chassis plates and throw a Digger body on it from Parma. I know it's been done to death but it's something I have always wanted to do. Need to find someone who actually likes to shave tires to get mine cut down. First I need to get the links shortened to get the wheelbase at 13.5".
Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: My Clod Pounder

Post by andymac0035 »

Looks pretty good. :thumbsup:
Your going to want some metal geared servos and some heavy duty servo savers on there though.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

The servos are bits I already had and the horns cost me $3 from Hong Kong so that's what got put on there for now. I'm hoping CPE get's more of their servos in stock soon and I'll get a couple of them with some Kimbrough savers.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Good plan, I was just saying, your going to want to go easy on it if you drive it like that. I replace servo gears on a somewhat regular basis in my slash, and that's with a servo saver.... I can only imagine what clod tires would do to a 2070.... lol

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Got the wheelbase set tonight and electronics installed. I cut the battery tray out of a broken slash chassis and am running two 7 cell packs in it on their sides. I'll secure them in with velcro battery straps once I get them. It took the better part of a couple hours to set everything for no binding/hitting etc but it's all set now. As you can see I need spacers which should be here next week and I need my motor mounts then I should be ready to do a shakedown run. Then once it's all dialed in it'll be time for some cosmetic work. I used the good camera for this round as my cell camera has seemingly gone potato on me.

Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Nice to see I'm not the only guy using slash battery trays. :thumbsup:
If you put lipo's and adjustable motor mounts on there you will have a lot of speed on your hands. :twisted:
That also leads to lots of these tho.... :explosion:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

I have a Slash 2wd that was built for skate parks when I lived in Nevada. I'm no stranger to kabooms. How do you think that chassis got broken? Lol. Skate parks plus 3s plus 4600kv brushless. i could come off a vert at full trigger and flip 5+ times before it landed.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Yup, I have broken soooo many as well, great that they have other uses. :thumbsup:

jdmerrill1240
Approved Member

Post by jdmerrill1240 »

Hey shadow, if your wanting to get some new servos I would grab two of these if I were you.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

I'm running these in my KK-1 clod and my Boyer truck and love them way more power than CPE servos and they are waterproof!
Juggernaut 2, Retro chassis Bigfoot, KK-1 Bigfoot 20, CPE Super Stallion, Boyer Digger , Why so serious?? Dark Knight KK-2

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Haha that's awesome JD. I have that exact servo bookmarked. There is another one I like with 30kg/cm or 466 oz/in of torque for about twice that price on their site. I love hobbyking. I'm looking at a couple of their gunmetal aluminum hd servo savers as well. Thanks for the link.
Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

xDezor
Approved Member

Post by xDezor »

jdmerrill1240 wrote:Hey shadow, if your wanting to get some new servos I would grab two of these if I were you.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

I'm running these in my KK-1 clod and my Boyer truck and love them way more power than CPE servos and they are waterproof!
Interesting. Thanks for the link.
Rob

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

So tonight was a bit of a two steps forward one step back type of situation. Due to a lack of suitable length hardware to accompany my new upper link mount from CPE I had to ditch the uppers I was using that came with the ground pounder chassis and make a set of my own. The GP ball ends have sizable stand offs and the hardware included in the package wasn't long enough and I had nothing on hand. Then I ran into the situation that I am using 6-32 rod ends from Dubro instead of the smaller M3/4-40 size ones CPE usually sells on their kits so that necessitated using 6-32 hardware. The CPE upper link mount is drilled for the smaller hardware so I got creative and threaded the hole to accept 6-32 threaded bolts. After a decent amount of time I finally got everything sorted so I used the piece of aluminum tube I got in today to sleeve a few of my links. I got one to start in case the size was wrong but it turned out to be dead on so I ordered three more pieces to leave me with extras when all the links are done just in case I bend something down the road. Overall I like where I am at and should be able to test drive it sometime the middle of this coming week. The aluminum tubing, motor mounts, and CPE wheel spacers should all be here by Tuesday so I'll throw it all together and try to get a video of it running. Pics.

In this pic you can see the threads I cut into the bottom hole on my mount. I threaded both holes in case I want to move stuff around down the road.

My final measurements on my links are 4" (101.6mm) for the uppers and 4.75" (120.65mm) for the lowers. Uppers are mounted to the frame using the lowest shock mounting hole while the lowers are mounted in standard position. I might fab up a set of sway bars and zip tie them to the links but that'll be after I get a few test runs in to see how it handles. Sometime before I run it I still need to pull the bottom o-ring on the shocks as it seems they are sticking which is a common thing for these from what I have read and I'm going to drop to 20w shock oil as well.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Tonight was a semi productive night. After we got home from Christmas shopping (I know I know it's July but I loathe waiting last minute) I rebuilt the shocks and finalized their placement. I think more than anything I'm stuck waiting for parts to come in and I'm getting fidgety. Never been the patient type. I am running 20w shock oil with the stock 3 hole pistons and have the preload at about 1/4". The suspension feels supple yet firm. Static sag is around 1/2".

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

So close yet so far. Wheel spacers from Brett came today. Also the bearings got here. Spent a couple hours tearing the axles down to put the bearings in then installed the spacers. I love the way the truck looks. Motor mounts are SUPPOSED to be here tomorrow. I'm itchy with anticipation. The functional part of this build is nearly over. Once I get the motor mounts and get the rest of the links sleeved I can call the main portion completed. Then it'll be strictly cosmetic.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I really like how that's coming along.

On your mounts, have you prepped the gearboxes yet?