Old Skool Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Re: Old Skool Clod build

Post by 80's MonsterMan »

Thanks, Alex & Andy! 8)

Andy that's funny that you mentioned that because that's exactly what I did its the only way with these 120mm will work on this application. But, the only spring mounted in the shocks is the second one w/ a soft spring all the rest on each wheel is just a dummy lol. 8)

Check it out, I got spacers on the inside so there is plenty of clearance for the shock to lean.

But, keep in mind also I'm going to make new brackets and they are coming up below. Now the ride height is almost where it needs to be maybe.

Question for you guys, what will this do to my geometery of my 4 links if I use these holes below?

Normally everybody uses the upper hole for the mid chassis link. What problems would it cause if I used the one below it I'm pointing to with the rod link? I would give me way more clearance for the shocks.

Ok, here's what I've been talking about making the shocks have a V-shaped pattern to them.

I made this lower shock mount out of .040 styrene to get the feel and look to show you. I think it really has that look of the old monster trucks had back in the day. Lmk what you guys think about it and it does give more clearance to the tires that's for sure.

Heres a comparison to the CPE lower shock mount to what I'm going to make.

Now just need to make 4 of these in aluminum lol.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Ended up having to scrap the first lower aluminum bracket I made for the shocks. It was going to be right up against the upper 4 link. :|

This one is much better. 8)

Now the only problem but it shouldn't be that big of a deal is the lower 4 link. I will half to be bent some and maybe fab. up a bracket for the bottom of the aluminum chassis brace. So the link eyelet can be turned on its side instead of being flat against the bottom. Because like this it will be in a major bind.

Marty

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Last time I was thinking about one of these old-school builds.... one thought I had was using wraith links (plastic version) and getting the center mounts of the axles too, and putting that mount on the chassis as a drop-bracket, and using the bent links on the bottom. they are about the right length, they are cheap (ebay) and might solve your problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Wraith-LI ... 0830529676

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

andymac0035 wrote:Last time I was thinking about one of these old-school builds.... one thought I had was using wraith links (plastic version) and getting the center mounts of the axles too, and putting that mount on the chassis as a drop-bracket, and using the bent links on the bottom. they are about the right length, they are cheap (ebay) and might solve your problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Wraith-LI ... 0830529676
Andy those just might work. Do you happen to know the length of the straight one eye to eye? I want the wheel base to remain stock. But, since I'm using the four link mounts that adds 1" to the w.b. but with the increased ride height it will probably equal out.

Marty

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

If I remember right, both types are the same length, and are pretty close to the length of the crawford old-school 4-link set-up.
One thing to keep in mind also.... is that you can drill new mounting holes on the chassis if you had to.
You will need the top mounting bracket from the AR60 axles though, or make some, due to how the lower links mount to the chassis.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Finally got all the lower shock bracket made this week. Hardcore and very time consuming making them with hand tools.

Also had to take the CPE 4 link mounts back off and cut off the top hole to allow for the middle shock clearance.

Here's a good shot showing the lower shock bracket mounted with the CPE 4 link bracket cut down and the corners radiused.

I looks so much better now with the ride height lowered and shocks having the V- tapered to them very old skool look imo.

Shot from the back, the two inner shocks have large spacers because I had to mount the lower shock brackets inside of the CPE titanium shock mounts. Tire clearance was an issue here, but the two outer ones are mounted butted up against the new lower shock brackets with no clearance issues worked out awesome because the full steering mod can be used now. 8)

Marty

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 »

Looks great! Nice work on the hand made parts.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 »

I really like this build and with you making your own parts. kind of puts a fire under my butt to get going again . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Thanks rex21 and charliechristmas58,

Charlie, I get what you mean I love making stuff from scratch man it does fire you up when you see something done you made just right. .When we moved I sold all my big equipment to do stuff like this, so now I'm back to what I use to use. A hack saw, some files and a dewalt 18v drill case of drill bits and a lot of patience lol. I enjoy hand making stuff the satisfaction you get when its "right" is really good.

My inspiration for the "look" of this build was MRP's High Roller. Just love the 4 shocks per wheel really vintage imo.

Got the 4 link mocked up today pic's below. Talked to Brett at CPE he is gonna fab me up some just like my patterns can't wait to get this thing on its own 4 feet lol. :lol:

Here's a few pic's going to half to make (4) drop aluminum brackets for the lower link about 7/16 from bottom of chassis brace. Again all hand made so it will be time consuming again because this stuff is small.

Thanks for looking,

Marty

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 »

That should work out nicely. I agree with you about the satisfaction of making your own parts.
Unless they don't turn out like I wanted.

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk »

Making stuff is the main reason I am in RC. I don't even hardly drive anymore - I'd rather be fabricating :thumbsup:

lol, you'd think I'd get better at it! :lol:

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 »

Ya might get Brett to make ya some links.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Spidubic
Approved Member

Post by Spidubic »

Now that is the way a monster truck should look. 16 shocks oh yeah!
Super Clod, Mod Clod, Double K Clod, Bullhead Tow Truck, Groundpounder Bigfoot

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Thanks rex21 yeah I think the links will be just right. Dukk hey man don't give up you can do it. Besides keep making the part over again until its perfect. Believe me I have messed up plenty of stuff and had to redo the whole thing. Charlie yeah im on it already sent Brett my prototypes yesterday. :wink:

Spid I agree with you man, I gives such a retro look its exactly what I was after.

CowboyClod
Approved Member

Post by CowboyClod »

love the shocks Marty :thumbsup: . Have any special plans with the body at all?

I wish RC4WD get their minds in gear and get some scale shocks in. Always out of stock on the 110 ultimate scale.

I want those for BB&B