Old Skool Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Old Skool Clod build

Post by andymac0035 »

Looks boarderline tight. Take a D-battery and spin the motor. If the gears sound loud/binding.... back it off a little. You can also move the axle shafts and see if you have some play that way too.

...... and make sure you put a cover on that.... LOL

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan »

Hey Andy,

I backed it off a fraction it feels ok now. I first installed the stock pinion and felt the tightness and inspected the clearance. The clearance is very close w/ stock pinion but there is ever so slightly clearance.

I matched the gear to gear clearance to the stock on the 11t pinion with the adj. motor mount. I pretty confident with it and the depth of the pinion. I was able to check the depth well because of all the grease I put on it. 8)

Now about this d battery thing? I have never heard of this what do I do exactly lol.

Marty

andymac0035 wrote:Looks boarderline tight. Take a D-battery and spin the motor. If the gears sound loud/binding.... back it off a little. You can also move the axle shafts and see if you have some play that way too.

...... and make sure you put a cover on that.... LOL

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

If I had the axles off the truck..... I'd just touch the motor wires to the battery and make them spin at low speed.... listening to the pitch as I moved the motor in/out. You want it as silent as you can get it, without the mesh being too loose.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

*Update*

Got some more stuff done and got parts in as well finally. :mrgreen:

After installing the inner axle stiffiner's I noticed that it totally negated cutting off the stops for the steering. So I massaged it with my dremel down 1/16" to the bevel edge. Also you can notice I angle trimmed the stops as well because I as afraid of binding.

Here's a shot before I massaged down the bevel edge around axle hole w/ the inner axle stiffener installed it was back to stock.

Here's a shot after I trimmed it with my dremel.

Next is my hardcore lower inner chassis brace. I used 1/16 angle for the sides and 1/8 to tie in the sides, and bottom (factory steel plate) together. Way too excessive I know but this thing is already going to be a monstrosity of a truck with the 16 shocks so why not. But that will be all the unnecessary weight maybe.

Next is some work I'm doing to the chassis. Cutting some of the lower outer frame, to allow for the vertical servo's I will be braced because like this it is very weak.

Next check this out I found a very practical use for the brass servo saver tubes included in the kit but I getting more of them. :)

They make perfect sizing tubes for the over drilled alum chassis brace. With slight sizing them fit like a champ and go through the alum, ABS and my angle aluminum.

Oh here's another good use of those brass servo saver tubes if you use this. The CPE quad shock mount kit these are a must. Because the outer two shocks on each wheel have no support. So I messed had a though and they are the perfect fit to give reinforcement to the outer two shocks on each wheel. Just ordered a bunch of these for this application.

Here's my haul this week, 16 Hot racing 120mm air shocks from Hobby ETC. and our own member Screw Loose Hex Head aka: Mikes, s.s. button head "Big Bag"

Marty

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Definitely overkill, but it's looking good.

...and I may had to relinquish my "dremel-master" title to you.
That is some very clean dremel work. :thumbsup:

vwlvr1980
Approved Member

Post by vwlvr1980 »

Awesome work looking forward to seeing a finished product.

Spidubic
Approved Member

Post by Spidubic »

I cannot wait to see it sitting on 4 shocks per corner.
Super Clod, Mod Clod, Double K Clod, Bullhead Tow Truck, Groundpounder Bigfoot

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Spidubic wrote:I cannot wait to see it sitting on 4 shocks per corner.
Times two!
Jeff

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Thanks guys for the compliments I appreciate it. :mrgreen:

I hope to get more done this weekend. Making all the brackets is very time consuming.

Marty

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor »

I absolutely love the cleanliness of this build, it's going to look very nice put together with all the detail you are putting into everything

hotrodsoup

Post by hotrodsoup »

Looks great!! Need to see more progress pics! and all of those shocks!!!!

RCRookie

Post by RCRookie »

Nice and Clean Build. The way they should be. Nice Job so Far. Can't wait to see more updated pictures.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Thanks guys for all the comments I really appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Big update here, I couldn't wait to get the shocks and gear case mounted.

I got the aluminum chassis end braces done yesterday they will be cut out to reduce weight but not until everything is mocked up.

Man all these shocks this thing is freak of nature. :lol:

I will be making new lower shock brackets. I want the shocks to have a V- shaped pattern. Had to bolt the quad using the shock holes because it was making the ride height way to tall.

Had to throw on the wheels!! The body is setting on the frame exactly the way I want it. But my ride height is still too tall. Going to have 4 link issues for sure here. I already noticed the bottom links are going to be right in the wy of the motor. #-o I got to figure out a way to make my lower shock mounts below the axle braces. I know I will half to use bent links for all the bottom (4) lower links even if I lower the ride height no way around it.

Marty

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 »

LOOKS INCREDIBLE :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

First off...... very nice! :thumbsup:

How about using the 2 lower holes for the middle/inner shocks and then pulling the internal springs out of the other two?