Bullhead turned Predator Build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Minotaur
Approved Member

Re: Bullhead turned Predator Build

Post by Minotaur »

So, I was driving my clod (after the e-revo went down) and the rear motor quit. At least I think it is the rear motor since the front one still turns but the rear does not. Plus, the rear motor makes a funny sound when the wheels are turned by hand.

Anyway, I can't help but think that now might be a good time to go brushless. I could move my EVX-2 over to my wife's truck (not finished yet) and "borrow" the Sidewinder 3 I bought for it. I know I would need one more Sidewinder 3, but what motors would be best? I mostly bash so low speed crawlability is not my main focus, but I've heard of the "cogging" issues, and I'd rather it not be impossible to drive. I like speed too, but shredding my gearboxes/driveline on every run wouldn't be much fun.

Two questions then:
1) If I were to go brushless with an emphasis on speed and durability, which motors and pinions would you recommend?
2) How annoying is the cogging and should I just drop another set of Titan 550's in it?

A few things I have found: CPE recommends the Tacon 5900's, but I can't remember seeing much on them. They seem affordable at only $35 per. The Castle 5700's are pricier but I'm not sure if they are worth it.

Thanks again for all the help. Someday my trucks will be reliable (I hope).

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I would take the advice on the 5900's and run stock gearing.
(do away with/remove your adjustable motor mounts)

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

That was the nudge I needed. Thanks :) A new SW3 and a pair of Tacon 5900's are on order.

Other than a Y harness, that is everything I need, right?
andymac0035 wrote:I would take the advice on the 5900's and run stock gearing.
(do away with/remove your adjustable motor mounts)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

You either need one of those G-force batts with the 2 sets of plugs, or you need a Y-harness.
This is for plugging both esc's into the same lipo.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

andymac0035 wrote:You either need one of those G-force batts with the 2 sets of plugs, or you need a Y-harness.
This is for plugging both esc's into the same lipo.
Sorry. The Y harness I meant was for the ESCs and receiver. I have a Predator Chassis so I will be running two batteries. Thanks.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Just be aware that you will need to stop about half way through your runs and swap battery connections around.
The rear system always sees more load and uses more juice. Had to do this with my dual SV2 powered clod. I'd stop, like 10 minutes in and take the lipo that had been plugged into the rear esc, and plug it into the front one. This evened out things pretty well.

You can try making an H-cable to bypass all of this, but I have found that adding that, with all the additional connections, makes the cogging really noticable.

Here it is with straight connections, no H-harness, you be the judge:
dual castle SV2's with 6900 castle CM-36 (2 pole) motors.

[youtube]23QMvaQ2yZY[/youtube]

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Looks pretty fast and maybe just a little touchy at low speed, nothing too bad. Hopefully my setup will perform almost as well.

Is it just too hard on the 5900's to use a bigger pinion in the event I wanted more speed?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

No idea, but honestly, above 30mph.... you will find these trucks to be quite twitchy.... :shock:

If you really and truly want more speed, like what you see the 6900's doing......... I would get 6900's.

However...... there was a reason I took those out of it.... :explosion:

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Yeah, I went with the 5900's b/c I have had enough :explosion: :explosion: :explosion:
andymac0035 wrote:No idea, but honestly, above 30mph.... you will find these trucks to be quite twitchy.... :shock:

If you really and truly want more speed, like what you see the 6900's doing......... I would get 6900's.

However...... there was a reason I took those out of it.... :explosion:

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Well, I got the setup up and running. A few observations.

1) It's fast. Nicely fast. So fast on a paved road that it makes you smile. It doesn't have the same torque hit of the 550 Titans - the acceleration is more linear. The Tacon 5900's seem like a great deal. Note that the motor leads were not long enough, so I had to make some extensions.

2) I am using 13t pinions and the rear motor gets pretty warm. I don't think it is dangerous, but I do not think it would be wise to go bigger on the pinion.

3) Low speed is a little glitchy - I can see why you wouldn't want to crawl with it. No big deal for zipping around.

4) The sidewinder 3's are great. Small, and easy to program with the field card (where was this stuff when I was a kid?).

5) The suggestion to switch batteries between the speed controllers about 10 minutes into the run is the way to go.

6) One weird thing is that both SW3's stay powered up even if you turn the switch on one of them off. No big deal, but not what I expected.

And, of course, it went :explosion:

An old E-ring came loose in the rear gear box and it started binding up. I didn't notice until after I had destroyed the 44t counter gear. A new metal counter gear is on order. I have read mixed reviews on the metal gears, so I will have to see if it aids durability or not. My 50t counter will still be plastic. At least this failure wasn't direclty the fault of the brushless setup unless the higher RPM's were the culprit.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos »

6) One weird thing is that both SW3's stay powered up even if you turn the switch on one of them off. No big deal, but not what I expected.
Think this is because you didn't remove one of the bec wires going into your wire harness. Mine is run the same way and no damage done over the last couple of years though.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Well, got the Clod running again with the rebuilt rear gear box and sweet brushless power. Quick test run in front of my house was awesome - it flew. Drove to my friend's house (he has a highly modded Slash) and things were looking good. Actual run time ~5 minutes. I bumped a tree at low speed (really, not fast at all) and promptly lost my steering. At first I thought it was just because I knocked off the bottom steering link. I fixed that and it still wouldn't steer. Closer examination showed that the servo guard had been pushed into the servo and also broken my brand new Savox servo mounting tabs.

See the pic below :explosion: So, the bash guard really didn't protect the servo the way I thought it would. What I need, I think, is a really beefy bumper / servo mount. The trouble is that I can't seem to find anything online for sale. The Gmade ones looked ideal: http://www.clodparts.com/products/hop-ups/52.html

I am not handy enough to make one myself, but I'd be happy to purchase one either from a website, or an individual that happens to have a good one laying around. Also, is it possible just to get the top plastic half of my servo? I don't need a whole new one....

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Wow, that looks like it hit harder than you think it did. I have 2 of those guards, and I keep meaning to use them.... know I think it's better to just let the servo saver take the beating.. LOL

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Yeah, the picture makes it look pretty beaten up. Still, I maintain that I was not going very fast at all. I agree, better to just take the hit with servo saver. I'd rather have a bullet proof setup though and can't seem to find any servo / bumpers anywhere, which is frustrating. Steering has been the Achilles heel of this rig.
andymac0035 wrote:Wow, that looks like it hit harder than you think it did. I have 2 of those guards, and I keep meaning to use them.... know I think it's better to just let the servo saver take the beating.. LOL

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

I'm a big fan of the Mattzilla Bumper. See here; viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28495&hilit=mattzilla

You have to pm him through RcCrawler. I think you might need an account to get onto the forum.