T2........ Judgement Day

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
mud
Approved Member

Re: T2........ Judgement Day

Post by mud »

heh heh heh...carnage :D
my name is Shirley

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Started tearing down the terminator.... dang.... lots to consider and figure out... :?

Want more suspension travel.... more motor clearance......maintain tire clearance when turning....need to dremel the gearcases for larger pinions......

Had to re-do my rear lockout... it was working itself loose... :roll:

SO much to consider..... gonna' take a brake from it for a while..... maybe tomorrow.... :-k

mud
Approved Member

Post by mud »

I've been there boss. Gettin a bit overwhelmed buildin somethin and just need a break. That's why I usually have more than one build goin at a time. So if one gets frustrating, I can move to another, and sometimes I get an idea and can go back. Just take it easy boss, things will go your way.
my name is Shirley

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Thanks,

I made some progress. The gearboxes on this truck have been really noisy, Think I found the issue.... the front one was missing a shim behind it's diff gear.

Gearcases are all dremelled out and fitted for some big pinions.... :mrgreen:
Was gonna' go with 17t.....but also had 18t and 19t on hand.....so of course..... 19t it is!.... :shock: :explosion:

There was a lot more that had to be dremelled than I though..... I took pics too.
So I'll get more into that subject once I get all my pics loaded.

There was even more carnage than I thought too.
Now I'm not running down the CPE chassis here... I want to make that very clear.
I'm actually quite pleased with how it's working out....but....
cpe mt wrote:The CHASSIS will handle whatever you can throw at it. Your problem when running that much power is damage to the gears and links/axles themselves if you hit something.
Do not underestimate me..... :explosion: ....And this was from running it on a track.

Other than the 2 hubs I broke using too long of wheel extension, the axles have held up fine.
The main links.... oh yeah, they took it it pretty hard.
Predator lower links.... both threaded ends..... bent on all 4 of em'.... :shock:
The front ears of the chassis where the links bolt onto... are actually bent out a little.
That kind of surprised me, as the battery tray mod I did added more support to that area.

Can't wait to get this back together and see what those 19t pinions do for it.
On 4S with the 13t pinions it just seemed like it would instantly get up to speed and just act like a car that was geared too low running on the interstate.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Last of the carnage shots:

Chassis didn't bend much, but it did bend from the impact of the links against it.
Speaking of the links.....as I said, they bent very noticeably on the ends.
DSCN1347.JPG
DSCN1348.JPG
DSCN1349.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Here's the motor mounts and case mods:
DSCN1351.JPG

How much bigger the hole needed to be:
(remove material ONLY from the side you want the motor to travel to)
DSCN1354.JPG

Where that little retaining nut (for the anti-rotational bracket) is held, has to be ground off:
DSCN1356.JPG

Post on the opposite side (from that nut) needs to be cut off/short too:
(or the pinion will hit it)
(this is all for gearing up, gearing down it does not matter)
DSCN1357.JPG

19t pinion ready to go in (13t in the foreground)
(I threadlocked the tapered motor screws....just in case)
DSCN1358.JPG

Quite a difference!
DSCN1359.JPG

I retained the screw tubes, and drilled the clear cover to allow them to pass though, just like with the stock cover. Also had to add a washer to make it all flush.
Gear mesh is tricky, and best done with the axle off the truck...and keep a D-battery handy...you don't want the gears binding from being too tight.
DSCN1360.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mud
Approved Member

Post by mud »

Good Lord :lol: I likes it alot. It'll be interesting to see how she goes with the pinion gear in there.
my name is Shirley

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Was just looking closer at my pic..... I see a little gap..... the corner of the cover.... #-o
I knew I should have flipped it the other way.... :censored:
Glad I spotted that before I got it back together....... :roll:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Trying to decide on suspension..... I could put it back the way it was....

That gives many positives, in that it hits the bump stops just before the chassis would slap, the angles on the shocks (as tuned) are really working well, both articulation-wise, and compression-wise.

The negatives are that it only has like 1 1/2" of total travel, and the ride hight is not as high as I would like it for off-roading.

Motor and tires clearance is going to be tight like this, but I think it'll make it.

Changing it up means brackets and really soft shocks. I'd need longer ones too, as the brackets will change the angle and stand the shock up some, which will hurt total travel.

I am also considering 4WS.....

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos »

Ya i'm interested in what it'll do with those 19s. Thats my next change is pinion if I ever get time to finish my build.
Predator lower links.... both threaded ends..... bent on all 4 of em'.... :shock:
Do like I did, get some 3/8" 6061 and tap your own with Jato ends. I've beaten on those for a while now and they still look good.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Irio - esos wrote:Ya i'm interested in what it'll do with those 19s. Thats my next change is pinion if I ever get time to finish my build.
Do like I did, get some 3/8" 6061 and tap your own with Jato ends. I've beaten on those for a while now and they still look good.
For now I'm just moving them up top (I've already straightened them). I'm going to try the traxxas (steel) links on the bottom, if they hold up.... I'll be buying more. :mrgreen:

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 »

DANG Andy. that looks kind of big .and thats not what she said before ya zing me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

^^^ Bazinga! :lol:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

So,

I spent some time today working on T2 and trying to decide on how I would set it up as I put it back together. I'll be changing to a different front servo mount. I got it when I bought the axles. Don't know who makes it, but it's similar to the CPE one for the BTA. It's heavier though and thicker too. I had to bent it slightly....and it didn't want to bend at all! :shock:
I actually had to pull one of the mounting plate spacers and replace it with 3 small washers to get the thickness right when putting this mount on.

I may take the vertical servo mount and put it out back for 4WS. I don't have a 4-channel radio, so if I do this, I'll just have to flip the servo saver around.

Oh yeah... and I flipped those stupid clear covers around.... :roll:

Can't wait to get back in the workshop and work on this some more.
I got some new TTR wideners too!...in addition to white clod wheels and some more stock clod tires. So I've got all the parts I need now, it's just finding the time to get it all done.

I've been hoarding parts too. The parts bin is now fully stocked with gearsets, tubes and knuckles......so watch as I break a gearcase or something I don't have..... :lol:
:explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion:

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain »

I have never liked those predator links... They bent on me rather easily. Actually I bent two CPE machined links too.
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/