T2........ Judgement Day

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: T2........ Judgement Day

Post by andymac0035 »

soze wrote:what are you running power wise?
a single 3-cell lipo battery
some 21T titans with the flux rings removed
traxxas vxl esc, but that will be getting changed to a sidewinder3
(these esc's will run brushed motors) (I had to make Y-harnesses to do this for 2 motors)

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

andymac0035 wrote:
soze wrote:what are you running power wise?
a single 3-cell lipo battery
traxxas vxl esc, but that will be getting changed to a sidewinder3
(these esc's will run brushed motors) (I had to make Y-harnesses to do this for 2 motors)
What the heck are the Flux rings and how does one remove them from an enclosed motor housing?
Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

SFC K wrote:What the heck are the Flux rings and how does one remove them from an enclosed motor housing?
Right next to the Flux Capacitor.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

andymac0035 wrote: a single 3-cell lipo battery
I take it that you are happy with this setup Andy? I thinking of putting a HPI GT550 (14.4v) motor in one of my wheely kings, so I can run it on 2S when playing with the kids and 3S when I want some mumbo. I've burnt out a few 27T stockers and 15T Firebolts on 3S, but I am guessing the GT550 can handle it easily. Only thinking the HPI motor as they are a lot cheaper than the Traxxas motors here.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Sixtys Guy wrote:
SFC K wrote:What the heck are the Flux rings and how does one remove them from an enclosed motor housing?
LOL, I googled it and found some info on this. It doesn't seem to be that much of an improvement and some removed them just to save weight. :shock: Really? Glad I don't race because this is just darn right blasphemy....
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

SFC K wrote:
Sixtys Guy wrote:
LOL, I googled it and found some info on this. It doesn't seem to be that much of an improvement and some removed them just to save weight. :shock: Really? Glad I don't race because this is just darn right blasphemy....

Jeff I don't think you understand. A flux ring is the metal band you see wrapped around a lot of larger brushed motors. Flux rings are used to add torque (at the cost of rpm's), so removing it makes the motor faster, but you lose some low-end torque. Traxxas used to add them to all their 550 series motors. In stock slash racing a lot of guys would take them off. They were going to give me a hard time about mine (being removed), but then Traxxas started making the 12T without a flux ring. That really saved me, as the brand new slashes coming to the track had the "new" 12T and no flux ring.

Anyways.... back to the point. :)
Removing a flux ring from a 12T gains like 1000 rpm, it's a big difference. I'm not sure what the rpm gain is on a 21T, but it's significant. Now keep in mind that changing gear ratio's on a clod is a pain, and the titan 21T is waaaay under-geared in a clod.... so removing it's flux ring is a win-win situation. Even with the rings removed on mine, the 21T's still have way more torque than the silver cans in my super stocker.

Some more facts on the subject.
On 4-cell lipo my terminator with flux rings maxed out @ 17mph.
On 3-cell lipo without flux rings top speed was.... 17 mph!
So it makes a difference. Makes me wished I had an esc that could handle 4S, I'd like to know how fast that would be.
But I went to 3S to save wieght for handling, and snow-running.

I'm probably going to end up running silver cans in this, as top speed won't change and run-time will increase, and also it will save even more wieght.
I finally got some accurate weights on my clods. My super-stocker weighs 8-lbs, and the terminator weighs 9-lbs. Care to guess which one does better in the snow?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Sixtys Guy wrote:
andymac0035 wrote: a single 3-cell lipo battery
I take it that you are happy with this setup Andy? I thinking of putting a HPI GT550 (14.4v) motor in one of my wheely kings, so I can run it on 2S when playing with the kids and 3S when I want some mumbo. I've burnt out a few 27T stockers and 15T Firebolts on 3S, but I am guessing the GT550 can handle it easily. Only thinking the HPI motor as they are a lot cheaper than the Traxxas motors here.

I think you'd be happy with that. The HPI motors have softer brushes. I think they may be faster. They have a removable ring as well, but their ring is thinner (that probably helps their speed as well). They may not last as long though. I had an HPI e-savage that ran on a pair of those. It ran well, and I ran a pair of 2s packs instead of nihm's, which really gave it more punch, but I'd see a lot more soot come out when I cleaned the motors, which is why I think the brushes are softer than what traxxas runs. Well that... and they wore out twice as fast. But in a light WK and on 2-3S instead of 4S, I think you's be fine.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Thanks for the write up Andy! I did not find any information on the metal band on the outside of the motor. Everything I saw talked about the internals.

I might have to do that to mine now. =D>
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Well... it's been an eventful past 2 days for the Terminator. .... read .... KAAAAABOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! :explosion:

Today's was simple enough, tagged a tree and busted a wheel. Yesterday though... #-o
So we got fresh snow and I'm out there cutting through the powder and jumping snowbanks. Well I get the idea that this one small bank is so steep I might be able to do a back flip off of it. Bad idea. Come racing up to it and it all goes wrong..... full-on lid-landing ... straight down.... ka-boom. Didn't realize what I had done at first. Initially it just looked like a flipped a cantilever, flipped it back around and set the truck down to go back to having fun... hmm... tires are rubbing.... body is hanging low on one side.

Oh wow.... :shock: I blew out the whole upper cab corner area of the body (where the post went through). Sorry no pics, but dang... the material above the hole was blown (as in shattered) right out. So I popped in back in place as best I could to finish running my battery, then put the truck in the bathtub to let the snow melt off it. Upon further inspection the whole left side of the body was shot. In addition to the rear mount area that was blown completely away, the lexan around the front hole was broken, and a long tear along the door area in between the 2 posts holes as well. It was soo bad I decided I didn't even want to try and repair it. I gave to a buddy as a beater-body for his crawlers. I meant to take a pic but forgot.

So right now I have that old jeep body back on it, but I'm looking at other body's I have as that jeep body is pretty beat-up these days.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Managed to get some pics of that body I was talking about.... :explosion:
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.