T2........ Judgement Day

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Re: T2........ Judgement Day

Post by charliechristmas58 »

=D> :thumbsup: That gives me an ideal
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Well.....

I spent all morning fabbing up some brackets to extend the upper shock mounting point out further.
I took some busted e-maxx lower arms and put them sideways pointing outwards. Cut the excess off and drilled mounting holes...bolted them on....

This did 3 things:

It gave me the extra clearance I was after.
It let me fit the shocks I wanted.
......and it made the suspension waaaaaaaaaay too stiff, even with softer springs. #-o

And... adding insult to injury... due to the change in shock angle, it didn't give me any more down-travel....even though the shocks were longer.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.... :roll:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

So I got it back together, with one notable change. I swapped the front and rear shocks around.
For whatever reason the pair of green springs I already had were a little stiffer than the new pair I got to complete the set. The coils were wound different too. I had put the new coils in the rear thinking they would be stiffer, but found out otherwise after it was too late.....

So after that change, the truck didn't squat as bad on hard launches.
It runs really good and strong, jumps well, and yet can still hit the rock pile.

However......

I can see my issues with gear carnage are NOT behind me yet. First I started hearing the dreaded clicking, but it didn't strip out yet, and you know I'll run it till it does.... :twisted:

Then I discovered the motors were working loose. I thought maybe that was the noise, but I checked that gear and it's fine. I'm really surprised to see the motor screws loosen up. That is very unusual for me....I tighten those up really good. I dunno if it's the tubes or the CPE covers.... but something just ain't fitting right. After putting a washer under each screw it seems better.

So I plan to be stocking up on gears.... :wink:

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

andymac0035 wrote:So I plan to be stocking up on gears.... :wink:
You and me both! :twisted:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

So.......

I decided to take the giant tracs off and put them back on the wraith. I had wheels, just needed clod tires.
I borrowed the tires off the super stocker. I didn't use the wheels because I needed to drill the centers a little larger to run these wideners:

I thought these would be great because the give the option of 12 or 14mm hex, at either end.
They don't tell you how much width they add, so I guessed 3/4" per side........looks like it's 1" per side.
I know lots of the people like that stance..... I don't.
I've got it all together, and I'm going to try it out, but I'm pretty mad at myself right now...for guessing wrong on the width.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 »

Ihave those on the Red Bull build and your right about the width being 1" but i like them. i need to get some more
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

So....... I took the terminator with me to the track today. It's a tight technical track.....not meant for monster trucks. I had some trouble in the tight turns and the super wide width hurt me there. The thing that surprised me though...... it handled the jumps better than the wraith did.

The rhythm section has 5 small jumps and usually with the stampede I double the first one and single the others... I don't think I've ever hit it double-double-single......maybe..... but I don't think so.
I managed to do it with the terminator. :shock: :D :mrgreen:
It really did well as far as handling and cycling of the suspension.

However...... those 1" per side wideners were just too much..... ka-boom :explosion:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

So.....

I get home and put a new hub on and go to finish my run, and also evaluate how well I like the overly wide-ride.
Well, it handled good, although it hurt me on the rock pile some.

I set out to just bash around the yard like I always do, hitting the jumps and all the stuff you see in all my vids. I was having fun, the truck continued to handle great, AND.... the skipping gear noise was gone. Nailing it from a dig on grass resulted in wheelies....and nothing else. :thumbsup:

So back to zooming around.....jump after jump..... I'm having a blast.... and then.....the right rear tire goes rolling and I'm having flash-backs to the carnage of the dual brushless super-clod....

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

:lol: =D> nicely executed my friend! :mrgreen:

taz11
Approved Member

Post by taz11 »

Hmmmm Fabulous! :thumbsup: Break one...its a fluke. Break two and its time to change something. :P
No space for shelf queens.....use it or loose it!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

You got that right...... I will NEVER run that set-up again.

Kingclod27
Approved Member

Post by Kingclod27 »

That is beautiful!!...Only Andy does things like this!
The Original Monster Truck

SPEED.......I..AM..SPEED

http://www.youtube.com/user/geeboo27

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I'm starting to feel like Justin though...... :roll:
Put some stuff on there.....run it once.... take it off and sell it..... #-o :lol:

Yup, those wideners wheels and even the hub drives.......sold em' today.
Because you have to drill out (the center of) your wheels and your hub drives to use those.
So just a little FYI to anyone considering those wideners.

You watch..... I'll end up getting CPE wideners and wishing I kept the wheels... #-o

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Oh yeah..... I found some more carnage taking that stuff off. :?

The threaded ends on those lower links are bending. Now the bends down near the axle......I get that....crashes take a toll....but the ones up by the chassis... I think those are from the swaybars.......
Now I'm going to have to figure out a way to sleeve the bar ends and move the pressure away from the (link) joint.

I tell ya'..... the hits just keep on coming.... :roll:

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

:lol: That's the only way to roll! I am getting better you must admit. Ive had my clod for a bit now and have ran it 5 times and no major heartbreaking :explosion: :lol: