T2........ Judgement Day

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: T2........ Judgement Day

Post by andymac0035 »

Okay, so got things finished and running. Repaired the white wheels. The repaired ones are stronger, so those went on the front, since that seems to be where they get stripped. Predator links are gone, all steel e-maxx tow-links on there now.

Then I took the vertical servo mount I originally had on the front, and put it on the rear axle. The nice thing about that was that I didn't have to flip the servo, since the front mount orientates the servo opposite of the vertical mounted one out back. I choked up on the servo saver, taking out some throw, but would have liked to take even more out. Not too bad though, and the steering stops are still in place out back. 4WS (that actually works as it should) takes some getting used to. I have not decided if this will stay or not, but it does seem to work very well.
Oh, and the short link is a short traxxas turnbuckle joined with a piece of wraith tie-rod.

DSCN1407.JPG
DSCN1408.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe »

you have just given me inspiration to put the 4ws in my truck

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I think if you put a standard CPE mount up front you could almost dupicate the front mount I'm using, you'd want to re-inforce it some, but I think it would work. Oh, and I hit the rocks too.... the 4WS did seem to help some. Takes some getting used to though.

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe »

ive got vertical servo mounts for the front and rear :/

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

That works, just put the servo saver up-side-down on the rear mount.

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a »

andymac0035 wrote:Nice to see you posting again, I've seen you lurking. :wink:
How's the predator running?

As you saw, I was able to get my relocated tray pretty low. I was all set to make a tray like you did, I had it all mocked up, but I was able to get by without it.
Yes, I'm always lurking...
Good to see the relocated tray is working good as well as the 4WS setup too. I'm always tempted to return to 4WS.
The Predator is running good for the most part. Made a new ramp today and was having a blast running 3s and jumping all afternoon. (i'll try to attach a photo) Hit it at a full head of steam, got good air, hit the brakes for some mid air correction and made a picture perfect landing. And then I couldn't steer...hmmm. I landed so hard that the BTA steering linkage bent in a direction I didn't think was possible and it was binding something fierce. Bent it back in place and I was back in the game...and then I broke an axle tube. No worries, clods are a blast!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Glad you are still having a blast with it.
You should update your thread....hint-hint.... :wink:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Welp......took it to the track! (run during pre-race practice time)
It definitely had a short enough turning radius...... too short actually.... #-o
Talk about sensitive steering. :shock: I probably should have turned the dual-rate down, but didn't think of that.... #-o

So yeah, it would turn on a dime and give 9-cents change. This was handy for the hairpins, but it was actually so good that I'd often turn the wheel too much, then over correct..... and over-correction with rear-steer...... um yeah..... :roll:

The truck did track straight, so that was good, but boy I had to work on using less steering than I'm used too. I had some nice laps, but had some bad one's too. The clod was still pretty good in the rhythm section, and I was able to consistently double-double-single. The table-top was a challenge.... and I was (optimistically) about 50/50 with it.

Then I had my first.... :explosion:
Popped the rear servo-saver, popped it back, it held..... so I kept running, but it happened a few more times. First time I think I've ever sprung a kimbro before.

Then it happened.....after several nasty tumbles off the table-top and the boards... I broke a rear axle tube. :explosion:
And with that...the clod's day was done.

Some of this I think could have been avoided if I wasn't using rear-steer.....so I think that will be coming off. I think I'll miss the donuts, but nothing else. It was a nice experiment (4WS at the track), but I think it just serves to remind me that while neat, and sometimes useful..... I don't really like rear-steer. Sorry guys, I had high hopes, but it's just not my thing.

Since I'm home this week, I'm going to try it again Tuesday night and I'm going to put the giant tracs on it. If I can get it to run decent, I'm going to run it in the sportsman (novice) class, as I graduated to running the pede' with the open-wheel trucks.....but they said it was okay to run the clod in the sportsman class because it was at such a disadvantage.

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a »

andymac0035 wrote:Glad you are still having a blast with it.
You should update your thread....hint-hint.... :wink:
Good idea :D

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Got the terminator all fixed up and back together.

That axle tube I broke was old and brittle.... it had stress fractures too. Looked like it had been used on a stocker at one point.

Discovered that dirt was getting into the gearcase though the motor holes...thanks to the motor mounts....because the motor mounts have holes too!
A few well placed pieces of electrical tape fixed that (I hope).

Took the rear-steer off, probably for good.... we shall see.

Then I discovered some more carnage...... :explosion:
That screw holding the shock is NOT bent...... the chassis is....
DSCN1411.JPG
Then I noticed this:
That's right.... the whole chassis is tweeked and leaning! :shock:
(look at the upper cross bars)
DSCN1412.JPG
It took a while, but I was able to get it decently straight. When I first noticed this I was like.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored:
This was all from crashes at the track, with no other trucks involved. Didn't think that would happen....

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe »

you need to find yourself a carbon fiber center section

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Yeah, I think I know where I can find one too..... :wink: :lol:

Kingclod27
Approved Member

Post by Kingclod27 »

Wow yea you "And'd" the chassis LOL... =D>
The Original Monster Truck

SPEED.......I..AM..SPEED

http://www.youtube.com/user/geeboo27

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Kingclod27 wrote:Wow yea you "And'd" the chassis LOL... =D>
Yup, Captain KABOOM!.... has returned.... :explosion:

I told Brett not to underestimate me when he said that chassis would take anything I could throw at it. :twisted:

If it keep bending like that I'm going to have to figure something out.
Love the truck and how it runs, but I can't keep having that happen either......

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Ahh.... the joys of vacation for those that work nights.... you get to do stuff you normally can't, like go to the track during the week. :mrgreen:

Hit the track with the terminator in the hopes that the extra traction of the giant-tracs would help with the tight turns, sadly.... it didn't make a difference. I'm sure I had extra traction, but without rear-steer I just did not have enough steering. So I just suffered with slowing waaay down in certain spots. It wasn't all bad, but there were two places where it really suffered... oh-well.
It shined in the rhythm section, but the table-top did me in. I kept trying to clear it......and just didn't quite have the oomf to do it. I'd touch a tire down...and well...... :explosion:

I had 3 nasty crashes....surprisingly none of them crippled the truck.....but there was carnage.
I hopped a barrier into the path of a slash and we hit head-on! :shock: There was a sickening "snap!" and I was very concerned as he hit square on my gearbox. The result?.... popped a traxxas rod end out of it's socket.... popped it back in...went on my way. I still can't believe my steering survived that.....
The other two were both attempts at clearing the table-top at full-trigger.....almost made it....almost.....so the results was of course.....crash-and-burn..... :explosion:
The results were popping that same link off (lower left front), and snapping a body post.

After that I took it outside to run it in the dirt (and grass) to get the clay off the tires some...and enjoy running it out in the open, where it shines. I need to run this some more and make a final decision on 4WS, but I think it's staying 2WS....maybe... :lol:

Other big thing..... the chassis.......that's right the chassis....not the axles.... or the links..... took quite the pounding.... and it's looking a bit "S" shaped around ALL the upper shock mount areas. Remember that pic I posted above showing a bend there?..... yeah....like that.... only worse.

That's the thing I hate about aluminum.... it bends.....and stays like that....no give.