T2........ Judgement Day

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Re: T2........ Judgement Day

Post by 91lxcoupe »

that thing seems to crawl pretty well. im really impressed with your truck andy. i think my next mod will be the 19t pinions as well.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Captain "KABOOM!" is at it again..... :mrgreen:

Blew it up....... fixed it...... blew it up again......... #-o :roll: :wink:

Didn't even get to run the whole pack(s) out....... I'm in rare form and getting back to my old self..... :explosion:

Details in a little bit, pics and vid late tonight..... Oh yes, this got caught on camera.... :shock:
(It's not that bad, just you guys don't normally get to see it as it happens).

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

So here's what happenned:

After a great outing with the wraith, I wanted to run T2 and get a vid in as well. :mrgreen:

So I run it a little to get used to it again after driving the wraith.... man this thing RIPS! :shock: ...... =D>
Hit the ramp....cleared the driveway (with ease) and just kept on going. :mrgreen:

Okay..... lets do this...... get the camera out and start recording.
First jump is a little less than full throttle and I'm pretty sure I got it on camera... as the nose started to drop, I gunned it.... and it self-levelled in mid-air. 8)

So I go back for more.... working my way back up to it....and go for another full-thottle attack at the ramp.
..........it didn't end well. :explosion:

It all came down on the left front...... I think if I hadn't been filming I might have saved it, but that the risk I take when I launch it, there's always a chance it won't land well........ :roll:

Heard the crunch and saw the front flop some...... :censored:
.......and stopped the camera to go check it out (should have left it running) ........ :roll: :lol:

Broke the ear off the knuckle and I thought I bent one of the steel lower links, but that wasn't the case. (I was actually pretty happy about that).

Damage report:
Snapped knuckle (ear broke off)
snapped a plastic rod end
stripped a wheel........ :roll: (okay that one annoyed me) :x

I knew I made the right choice using the short rod ends up at the chassis and the long ones at the axle. Instead of bending the threaded part of the steel link end, the plastic just broke away instead.
.....The rod end actually ripped itself off the ball-joint too! :shock:

Same with the knuckle, instead of the steering linkage, servo mount, or axle tube taking the damage, the ear just broke away.

Put a new end on the link, prepped a new knuckle (steering stop mod), and popped the tire onto a spare wheel, and was back out there in not much time.

Zooming across the yard and having fun again. :D
Then I headed back over to the ramps.... #-o :wink: :lol:

One of the landings didn't go so well......hit the same spot..... imagine that... :roll:
Then I hear a crunch.....uh-oh.... :o

Thought I cracked the center out of a knuckle..... nope.... the wheel I just put on now has a nice crack all around its dish...... #-o

So all-in-all....... the parts seem pretty even with well-placed weak points.
Wheels break...... comes with the territory, but I'd rather change a rod end or knuckle than have to tear down an axle for a busted tube. :wink:

Really the only thing I think needs attention is the wideners. They keep backing off, and I'm already using threadlocker and letting it cure overnight.... :?

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe »

the emaxx wheels loosen before i can run a half a battery. however you seem to be running into the same issues as i was when i was running my clod hard (not the dog incident) ive lost an axle tube and 2 knuckles so far. i think it comes with the territory of being a clod owner. at least youre having fun with this terminator and not ready to sell it already like the last one
Last edited by 91lxcoupe on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Yeah, that last one was very much a dissapointment, but I think I might have been a bit critical of it because it competed with my super clod which I liked better.

Despite all that's happenned today........ I like this terminator a LOT!
So I guess my "judgement" is....... :thumbsup:

It's a very adaptable/versatile fun ....and yes tough truck.
It may break, but it's keeping it to minor easy to change stuff.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :explosion:

[youtube]vjsd_tGPK4A[/youtube]
DSCN1401.JPG
DSCN1402.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 »

Dang have you NOT broken any of your trucks ??
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I break em' all sooner or later.... :explosion:

Oh.... and got to finish running my lipo's out today..... ran great!
Cracked wheel and all..... LOL

One thing I really do like about the current set-up is that it does not rock back a lot under acceleration. I don't know if it's just the shocks or the smaller body, but I like that.

That's the other thing.... deciding whether to stay with a smaller body, or use the one I have that matched the wheelbase.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Ran it at the track during practice time. :mrgreen:
It actually out-does the pede' through the rythm section and down the straights, double-double-single?.....you bet! :mrgreen:
It sufferes in the tight corners, 4WS is getting very tempting.
I need to address a few other issue's first though.....

I need to mod the wheels or something because I had two failures.....
I stripped one, and blew the center out of another. The center-break was just an old brittle wheel, but the wheel stripping is becoming an issue. I wish I could get some TXT wheels, that would fix everthing, but for now I will just run some screws through the wheels to replace the nubs that got sheared off.

The rest of the truck passed the durability test except those stupid predator links.... :roll:

Nailed the big jump off the table-top.... but they put a bump at the bottom of the ramp..... :shock:
.......and I lawn-darted it...... #-o =D> <------Halgar heckling me..... :roll:

I didn't realize what happenned till later that night. I looked the truck over after the crash, and after cleaning all the clay off the steering linkage..... marvelled at how it wasn't broken... :)

I ran it when I got home too, after putting another wheel on it....
Then I noticed both upper links were crumpled/bent on the end were they connect to the upper link mount.
I'll have pics later..... it was kinda' funny....but not really...... :roll:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Pics..... :explosion:
DSCN1403.JPG
DSCN1404.JPG
DSCN1405.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Gotr the e-maxx tow links mounted up front now and it looks a LOT better. I think I will probably do the same with the rear. Still flirting with the idea of 4WS..... :-k ....... [-( .......... :roll: :wink: :lol:

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe »

4ws is in my near future

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a »

andymac0035 wrote:I was thinking about flipping the electronics tray upside down. That would effectivlly lower it, and maybe then I might put a battery tray on it. Don't know if that would work with the electronics mounted to the side plates like I have now. Might need to fab a top plate around the upper cross bars and put the esc and rx up there.

Andy,

I made a top/upper plate for my clods electronics. I needed to get the ESC and RX up to make room for that block of witchcraft and sorcery also known as a 3s lipo. Just below the upper cross bars I mounted a 1/4in thick plastic plate to place the electronics and on the main plate I mounted a generic battery tray to hold the 3s pack. I did this on a Predator chassis so it then left the bottom 2 slots alone for running 2s or 4s with the evx-2. One drawback is that the 3s is mounted a little higher but its been working out great so far.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Nice to see you posting again, I've seen you lurking. :wink:
How's the predator running?

As you saw, I was able to get my relocated tray pretty low. I was all set to make a tray like you did, I had it all mocked up, but I was able to get by without it.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

OOoo...... messing around with 4WS today.... :mrgreen:

It does not seem too bad, but even choking up on the servo saver mounting point.... I'm getting more throw than I would like. I'm going to have to work on that. Full-trigger across the lawn it IS stable. It traction rolls on the grass, but seems to just slide on the dirt.

Lost another gens ace lipo though..... not very happy about that. :evil:
I'd heard they have weak solder tabs..... this is my 2nd failure..... I won't be buying more of these stick-packs.
Too bad, the battery/cells are really strong.

Lotta' good that does though....... when the tab coming off the cells snaps off...... nothing to solder too.... :roll: :evil:
I tried fixing that last time out.....got a face full of sparks...... :shock:
....never again.... :shock: :shock: