KK's Formal Hello to All!

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
SWMS
Approved Member

Re: KK's Formal Hello to All!

Post by SWMS »

SFC K wrote:Yikes! At least you did not bend one of your axle tubes! If they were plastic, I think one would have broke for sure.
That's exactly what I was thinking. This is the first time this has happened to me. I was surprised to find this as the weakest link. This tells me that the plastic cases flex some upon landings. Pretty interesting.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

andymac0035 wrote: If your careful you can actually bend that back.
For now I just used a new part, but I'll keep the bent one around for when I'm in a pinch. :thumbsup:

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

I spent my free time yesterday giving some TLC to my original KK1.

Last time I took her out, I blew up the rear gears, blew up another OFNA servo saver, and bent up some fasteners.

All three of these little guys lost a tooth, and the big gear they sit in was warped pretty bad.

Out with the old.......

And in with the new.....

I got here back together, all freshened up.
I took out the brushless powerplants, and put back in an EVX2 and brushed Speedgems. I am going to use the brushless systems for the KK2s.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Glad to see it's back on the way to running again. =D>

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

So it's been a long while since I last posted to this thread. I've been using the heck out of the KK1 and my last outing several months back resulted in some seriously mangled gears!

I run the Clod axles without the Tamiya, metal braces and I realized that the hardcore jumps I was taking were flexing the cases allowing the gears to move out of position.

I spent the yesterday putting in some new gears, dusting off the dirt, installing new wheels and tires, re-polishing the 4-links, and changing out some hardware. I'm gonna take her out for a spin today.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

While I am at it, I am also going to try limiting the rear steering a bit. I tried something similar, I think about a year ago, but the limiters I used were way to small and the location allowed them to have a good amount of torque applied to them from the knuckle. Needless to say, they didn't last long.

This setup uses the screws used to assemble the axle tube. The are way beefier than my first attempt. I hope these work.

132NHAF

Post by 132NHAF »

KingKlod wrote:While I am at it, I am also going to try limiting the rear steering a bit. I tried something similar, I think about a year ago, but the limiters I used were way to small and the location allowed them to have a good amount of torque applied to them from the knuckle. Needless to say, they didn't last long.

This setup uses the screws used to assemble the axle tube. The are way beefier than my first attempt. I hope these work.

For limiting the travel have you tried to run a really short servo horn/disc? You could use one of the generic discs that RC Planes use and put the mounting point as close to the center screw as possible.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

132NHAF,

I've consider the setup you mention. The one thing that keeps me from doing it is a lack of servo saver.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

I took the old lady out for a spin and drove her to the ground. My 20 year old Speed Gems decided to finally tank!

Notice the bulging of the endbell.

Here's what the inside looks like. The comm is toast!

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Wow KK that's a shame. They don't make brushed motors like the old Speed Gems anymore. I used to have a 10t triple in a Blackfoot with mashers.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

^^I know what you mean. I wa pretty bummed when it happened, but then I thought about how long I've had them for and it made me feel better.

132NHAF

Post by 132NHAF »

KingKlod wrote:132NHAF,

I've consider the setup you mention. The one thing that keeps me from doing it is a lack of servo saver.
You could always drill a hole just a bit closer to the center. I realize there is a lip and a potential for binding with the steering link, but you could experiment with an older (read: broken) saver.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

^^^ That's what I did.

Taking a kimbrough #124 and drilling from the backside, put the hole right up against the shoulder of the round part.
Make the hole slightly smaller than the screw you will be using, and thread it into the hole from the front. (just the plastic from the servo saver holding it, so don't over-tighten)

I've been doing this for a while now, works great for me.

671CLOD
Approved Member

Post by 671CLOD »

Just went through this whole thread and I have to say that chassis is awesome. I was wondering how I could obtain a chassis?