KK's Formal Hello to All!

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
SWMS
Approved Member

Re: KK's Formal Hello to All!

Post by SWMS »

I just might need bigger pillows! This truck seems to like the pillow talk. :shock:

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

Okay, so it has taken a little longer than I expected to perform the LiPO brushless long jump. I skipped doing the NiMH brushless long jump as I figured there was no point now that I am totally into my LiPO batteries!

First up, out with the old and in with the new! Toro motors all mounted up.

Next, I installed the ESCs. Wholly cow what a mess with all the wires. That is definitely one downside to going brushless. Every time I thought I had a handle on the wiring, I'd find another wire to deal with. This pic is at the beginning of the whole process with the ESCs taped in. I went through several iterations of wire routing before I got it squared away.

Once I wrapped up the wiring I charged up one of my batteries to check everything out and program the ESC settings. I plugged in the battery only to find out that only the rear ESC was responding! So I got a little frustrated/worried but before panic set in I checked all my wiring over and over and over and over again. NO LUCK, WTH!

Right then, I thought to myself, "Uh oh, that's what I get for buying products from HK.......why me". I had no choice but to undo my hard work worth of wiring and troubleshoot the front system outside of the truck. Its a good thing I did because I found that the red power wire was not properly soldered to the circuit board. I contemplated my options: warranty(yeah right), buy a new one, cry. After so many good reviews, I had to be the one with the bad luck, rats. So I said screw it, I'm an engineer, I can fix it!

I popped open the ESC, heated up the soldering iron and went to work. I put my iron to the solder that was suppose to hold the wire in and the wire pretty much fell out immediately once I put heat to it. After heating up the solder, I pushed the wire back in. I then let her cool down and reassembled. I crossed my fingers and fired her up. I held my breath for a second and then heard the little start up tones the system plays. Saweet! I got her fixed.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

So now onto the fun part - Jumping!

Same setup as the other tests; 8ft runway, same ramp, same location.

Here is an image captured of the truck in the air at the 9ft mark, which was the previous long distance jump of the LiPO, brushed setup. WOW!

And here is the official distance: 13ft!

And the video...
[youtube]ShhOkBTWyeI[/youtube]

Overall, which many of you already know, brushless is AWESOME! The video of the jump was actually my very first run ever using brushless. I didn't do any practice runs at all. I got very lucky because the thing is now a wheelie monster, which makes jumping a bit of a challenge. I would have liked to give the long jump another go, but I ran into some carnage which I will post about later. I think with some practice, I could easily surpass the 13ft mark.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

SWEET! =D>
Nice suspension action too! :thumbsup:

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

Thank you sir!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

How did you wire your esc's? Did you just plug them into a y harness and call it done?
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Bracz
Approved Member

Post by Bracz »

Nice! You had the same reaction I did when I first got my lipo/brushless systems going. Just watch the temp on the rear motor. I've got 6000mah batteries and I usually run about half way through it, stop and check the truck over to make sure nothing is working loose (usually my King pin screws and upper link mounts screws lol) and let it cool down a bit.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

vwjuice wrote:How did you wire your esc's? Did you just plug them into a y harness and call it done?
Yup, I used a servo Y-harness to hook up the two ESCs. The motors have 3 wires: blue, yellow, orange. I reversed the blue and orange on the back motor to get it to turn in the right direction. I also used the supplied program card to set the LiPO cut off to 3.4v.

Bracz
Approved Member

Post by Bracz »

I've noticed the lipo cutoff isn't very accurate on mine KK. It seems to cutoff sooner than it's programmed to. Mine are set to 3.3v and it always seems to actually be about 3.6 or so when I put into my charger.

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

Thanks for your heads up! I'll throw on a LiPO alarm that shows me voltage to double check as I'm running.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Lipo's regain some voltage after they "rest" for a while.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

KingKlod wrote:
vwjuice wrote:How did you wire your esc's? Did you just plug them into a y harness and call it done?
Yup, I used a servo Y-harness to hook up the two ESCs. The motors have 3 wires: blue, yellow, orange. I reversed the blue and orange on the back motor to get it to turn in the right direction. I also used the supplied program card to set the LiPO cut off to 3.4v.
Awe sweet. I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut wires here and there and leave one wire off or whatever. :lol:
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

Hope you all enjoy the carnage! :explosion:

[youtube]WklxOzwmCEk[/youtube]

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I LOL'ed pretty hard @ the stick and chair falling over. :rofl:

Nicely done Sir! =D>
Although honstly..... I was expecting more carnage than this. :wink:

But then again, that's just me.... :explosion:

SWMS
Approved Member

Post by SWMS »

The yard stick falling on the truck is my favorite part. The back servo saver blew up on that jump. I didn't notice it right away. The next jump after the stick showed the truck a little squirly, but I still didn't pick up on the rear steering being shot. The knocking over the chair and the tumble were completely attributed to the rear steer being shot. All the wheelies after that were all squirly because of the rear tires wanting to do there own thing.

What do you want me to do for more carnage, run it into a brick wall?