Andy's "Super-Stocker" Clod Buster

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Andy's "Super-Stocker" Clod Buster

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 pm

First snow-run of the year with the new body. 8)
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Welll... you knew it would see some air-time... :mrgreen:
007.JPG
008.JPG
010.JPG
009.JPG
011.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Nice pics Andy truck looks good. I can't wait to get mine done so I can have some fun in the snow this winter as well :)
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 am

No new pics, but we had a steady stream of snow and I took advantage of it... as I had last week off ... :mrgreen:

I hadn't realized I'd put so many runs on the last set of motors, and I wore the rear one out the Sunday prior to all this. :shock:
(I run it at the track during intermission a LOT... and found myself with front drive only by the end of the day)

Well... let me tell you.... I went through ever spare back-up motor I had this past week... :explosion:
This included robbing the 27T axial motor out of my SCX-10... hey... it's sitting for the season... LOL ... :roll:
I sent them all up in style over the past week... the axial motor was in the front... and oh man... when it went.... POOF! :popcorn:
It let off quite the smoke show...... wish I had the camera rolling for that one, as it looked like when a (real) truck blows a motor. :explosion:

So.. I now have 2 pairs of stock cans ready to go... but not before I try something new. :idea:
I remembered the RC4WD (80T) motor I had in my CC-01, which was really high geared for a crawler, and I ran that on 3S and it never complained.... brush life was really good.. I had tons of run-time on it and it hardly had any brush wear. Add to that I've been looking for a compromise between the short life of the 15T firebolts, and the dependability of the mabuchi 27T silver cans. Well... near as I can find out from research, the RC4WD motors have neutral timing... and they make a 20T series.... so I order a pair and am going to see how well they hold up to 3S in the clod... stay-tuned... :mrgreen: :popcorn:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:11 am

Well... longevity is yet to be determined... but they do add a nice boost in power. Out on the track at intermission it was like monster jam for me. The truck had more speed... and was harder to handle... so it went for "the ride" more than once and I made a few nice saves along the way throttling out of trouble. I even at one point... ended up on my lid.... and started rocking it.... and it flipped itself back onto it's wheels! :mrgreen: ... no self-righting radio-programming needed... :nana:

All that added power and monster jam style playing came at a price though..... :explosion:
I broke the chassis in the rear where the 5th link attaches, so now I need to either repair/relocate my way around that, or replace the chassis.
I do have another chassis.... I just don't know how ambitious I am... :|

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:50 am

Update. I made a new 5th link for the rear so that I could delay having to prep/mod the new/replacement chassis I have. Really not looking forward to all the dremel work that will need to be done on the new one, but at least it won't be as much as the old one had. As for the 20T motors, they have had a 2nd full run put on them and the brush wear looks good. This was still on the indoor track though. I need to get some snow-runs in before I pass final judgement.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Update, I've got several runs on the RC4WD 20T motors now. They pack a little extra speed and the brush-wear is very good.
Kinda' regretting ordering 4 more silver cans as cheap insurance now... welll... at least they were cheap... :mrgreen:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Well, turns out that "cheap insurance" was a good idea, as the rear 20T motor started losing some power. I had planned to rotate it to the front, and now I really need to, as towards the end of today's outing in the snow it started blowing smoke. I guess full-throttle on 3S for extended periods under a decent load is too much for the 20T motors after a while. I caught it before it blew up though, and was able to get some snow into it and cool it off. Truck was running good though and churning through the snow and I have lots of untouched powder out back, and it's supposed to snow all weekend... so whether it be with the 20T, or stock cans, it should be a fun weekend!

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:03 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 pm
I caught it before it blew up though
I'm disappointed in you. How are you supposed to keep the "Capt Kaboom" moniker if you keep doing things like that :P
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:34 am

Steve C wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:03 am
andymac0035 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 pm
I caught it before it blew up though
I'm disappointed in you. How are you supposed to keep the "Capt Kaboom" moniker if you keep doing things like that :P
Because once I swap those motors front-to-rear..... I will be running them till they pop! :popcorn: :explosion:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 pm

That's it! We're calling you Captain Smolder from now on! #-o :roll: :lol: :lol:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Hmmmm I dunno man.....something just seems a bit wrong by callin' another dude Capt Smolder :shock: :lol:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:10 pm

:lol: Halgar is just mad because I still have a clod (and run it) and he don't... :butthead:

So... I swapped the motors around today and gave it a good run out in the powdery snow. I kinda' like having it so that the rear motor is a little faster, as it makes the truck easier to steer (since the nose doesn't lift as much). I really had it churning out there, and by the end on the run the rear motor was giving off smoke. Got it all cleaned and dried off from that run... battery charging... stay tuned.... be interesting to see how much more of this the 20T motors can take before they go up in smoke. I was surprised though as the brushes are holding up, it's the comm that is getting all burned up.

I got to say though, I really did like the speed that add over the stock 27T cans. Seems to be more of a racing or hard surface application though.
(I expect to be installing silver cans before the weekend is over)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:43 pm

The snow may be helping the brushes lol. I soooooooo wish I had my clod done right now. We finally got the first snow of the year here in Michigan (weird year here this year). Got about 5" of fresh powder and I would love to have my clod out and bash around in it :(

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:15 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:10 pm
:lol: Halgar is just mad because I still have a clod (and run it) and he don't... :butthead:
Oh, sure, hit a man when he's down! :cry: :lol:

I am getting the feeling that I'll be getting back into the hobby in the next year or two. Then I'll be asking all the noob questions of what battery, what charger, what radio . . . #-o See the trouble you start?!?!?! :roll: :rofl:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.