Brushless Predator!!

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Minotaur
Approved Member

Re: Brushless Predator!!

Post by Minotaur »

That's insane. Did you ever make it through a whole pack without breaking something? How fast would it go?
1Badclod85 wrote:Can't wait to see this. I built a predator with 7700kv bit was fairly nasty! It kaboom'd more than anything lol.

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

Honestly no lol. I snapped 4 carbon fiber links in one outing. If I would have been smarter about it I would have built the truck much more stout with machined lower links and aluminum upper links. I'm not real sure how fast it would go. It moved out though. There's a video on YouTube of it. I think the name is 7700kv predator?

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

671CLOD
Approved Member

Post by 671CLOD »

Minotaur wrote:Very cool. What other parts will you be using? Motors, ESC's, body, etc.
671CLOD wrote:I can't wait to see how the build turns out. I just ordered a predator chassis for my first clod build.
I'm gonna run 2 castle sv3 5700kv or 6900kv combo's. I'm undecided on what body I want to put on the clod. I picked up a roller without a body for $50 on offerup. Also just built a lunchbox and might put my castle 4600kv in it.

copper44

Post by copper44 »

So what's the best way to upload photos from an iPhone, looks like I keep getting an error that the files are too big.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

I seldom make it through a pack either, but it has gotten much better. Metal gears, aluminum axle tubes/knuckles, TTR front diff, and soft/long travel suspension have helped a ton. Most problems now are little things; thankfully, I haven't had to rebuild a diff for awhile.

Watched your video. Man, that thing hauls.
1Badclod85 wrote:Honestly no lol. I snapped 4 carbon fiber links in one outing. If I would have been smarter about it I would have built the truck much more stout with machined lower links and aluminum upper links. I'm not real sure how fast it would go. It moved out though. There's a video on YouTube of it. I think the name is 7700kv predator?

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

copper44 wrote:So what's the best way to upload photos from an iPhone, looks like I keep getting an error that the files are too big.
I down loaded the photobucket app and then just click the pic copy then paste.

671CLOD
Approved Member

Post by 671CLOD »

Are you using the 1/8 or 1/10 scale proline monster truck body?

copper44

Post by copper44 »

Finally figured out this picture thing.

jdmerrill1240
Approved Member

Post by jdmerrill1240 »

I like the John Deere theme and really like old school wood floor in the bed
Juggernaut 2, Retro chassis Bigfoot, KK-1 Bigfoot 20, CPE Super Stallion, Boyer Digger , Why so serious?? Dark Knight KK-2

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Great looking truck. What kind of shocks are those? We need some action videos though, so drop some batteries in and see what it can do. I'll warn you - brushless Predators are a handful!

And, who wants to guess how many runs he will have before a major :explosion: ? I say less than 3.

copper44

Post by copper44 »

It's broke all 3 times ive had it out :(. I have stripped out two wheel hubs and broke an axle tube. Any ideas on keeping the hubs from stripping out?

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Sorry you busted parts on your first three runs. I was hoping your experience would be better than mine. I think I've made a complete run about 3x without breakage since I built my truck.

I don't think the Tamiya wheel mount system is up to brushless power. I tried a few different solutions but eventually went with RC4WD "Extreme Duty XVD's" and Ofna Pirate wheels and tires. So, now I have hex drive and it has been very durable. Not a cheap fix, but at least it was a fix.

I'd also recommend aluminum axle tubes and knuckles. Some people on this forum can actually get some life out of the stock plastic ones. I never could and got tired of changing them. My tubes are Hot Racing and they've been fine - most recommend the Integy's though. I've had both the HR and Integy knuckles, and the Integy ones are beefier but still have steering stops on them.
copper44 wrote:It's broke all 3 times ive had it out :(. I have stripped out two wheel hubs and broke an axle tube. Any ideas on keeping the hubs from stripping out?

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Aluminum hubs http://m.ebay.com/itm/130855322986?_trk ... mwBanner=1
Also turn down the esc's initial brake and punch control. This will weaken initial launch and braking torque.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Those are great suggestions, and much cheaper than my idea. I found that the little nubs on the inside of the wheels would often break, so I bit the bullet and went with the hex drive. Everytime I fixed a weak link, I just found the next one.
shadowfocus603 wrote:Aluminum hubs http://m.ebay.com/itm/130855322986?_trk ... mwBanner=1
Also turn down the esc's initial brake and punch control. This will weaken initial launch and braking torque.