TTR Gear Reduction Pics

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Chris Shontz

TTR Gear Reduction Pics

Post by Chris Shontz »

First toil, then the grave.

eric113
Approved Member

Post by eric113 »

that nice too bad they dont make them anymore.... :roll:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i wish a worm-gear reduction unit was available...

they are neat, but they make the motor stick out a bit which can in the way of mounting your lower links up on top of the c-hubs. i've used smaller hi-po 380 kyosho cans on one of my jeeps so i could mount the links on the top of the axle. you might wanna try this gprecon, i think it was you who was commenting about wanting to move the links on top. you would be amazed how well the kyosho cans work with 6 cells. i had to make motormount adaptors to use the kyoshos, but they were simply slightly modded grasshopper2 units.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=9840

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXW908&P=K

Chris Shontz

Post by Chris Shontz »

That is a really good tip, badhoopty. I hadn't really thought of running smaller cans. That was in fact me who posted about moving the links up in the old forum. I'm going to cook that idea in my head for a while. Thanks! :)

crawloveryou
Approved Member

Post by crawloveryou »

man i wish i could find me a set of gear reduction...i should have bidded on some on ebay but i didnt have the money they were up to
Pimps up H#es down

Cubman

Post by Cubman »

With a worm gear reduction unit, your truck wouldn't be able to coast unless you made a miniature bicycle hub for your drivetrain. The reason is the driven gear is trying to push the worm gear sideways, not spin, and it puts it in a 'gridlock'

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker »

I had an old toy that was worm geared... it had miniture ratches so a child could push it... it's my next big project

oh yeah... worm gears would make the motor sit at 90 degress witht eh gear it is driving... so tht emotor's would point endbell inward :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zBigBadWolf
Approved Member

Post by zBigBadWolf »

I've yet to see the need for gear reductions in crawling.

On my two main crawlers, a homemade chassis and a Clodzilla4, I run adjustable motor mounts with 8 tooth/Kyosho Megas and 9tooth/AYK 360s and have never had a problem keeping power slow and even. Plus I still have some snot behind me should I need to pounce over an obstacle.

However I will admit they're cool. :D
When you do dumb things, dumber things happen.

Kona_Joe

Post by Kona_Joe »

I heard TTR is bringing back the gear reduction units. They are going to be 4to1 or 3to1 (not sure) to fit the Clod and TXT. Sometime late spring/summer

Joe

jugg_crawler

Post by jugg_crawler »

Awsome well if they come out for Juggy/TXT-1's I will buy a set in the blink of a eye. If I could get a pair of the origanals I would buy a Clod.

jugg_crawler

Toyofast
Approved Member

Post by Toyofast »

I bought a gear reduction unit(not a TTR :wink: ).. 3.8:1 ratio.... we'll see if it'll go in without too much trouble 8) That 3.8:1 along with my current 8-tooth pinions should give me a low enough ratio for crawling with the Kongs or it'll be kinda slow with stock sized tires.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

why is everything always anodized in purple. Thats so freaking girlie Image

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker »

I hate purple... if you want to only anodize it in one color it should be black... black looks good on everthing (since the clod axles are black)

jugg_crawler

Post by jugg_crawler »

Hey Toyo, where'd you get the reduction? I would like to run Kongs on my Juggy too so I want the gearing to be really low. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
jugg_crawler

Chris Shontz

Post by Chris Shontz »

I've never run my Clod without gear reduction, so I can't compare to crawling with 8 or 9 tooth pinions, but I am very happy with the amount of throttle control offered by the reductions. The Clod can crawl up and down obstacles at a constant and slow speed. I just push my indexed throttle lever up 1 notch and it will climb over anything. I can give it a reasonable burst of throttle if I need to "bump it up".

Gear reductions aren't for everyone. Depending on your gear configuration, your Clod will go slower than most Nikko R/C cars. Jumping is impossible. :P

One more bonus is that you pretty much can't go fast enough to collide with something hard enough to break your Clod! :P Bumpers? ... forget about 'em!

I'm running a 120:1 configuration w/ 11 and 13T pinions. At a fresh charge it cruises at a fast walking pace - almost a jog, but not quite. Usually no more than 10 minutes later, it slows down to a nice walking pace, but lasts for 25 to 35 minutes on a cheap 3000 NIMH. It really depends on whether or not I'm obstacle-hopping, or running flat out.

Brett, I'm eager to hear how you dig the Kongs after the gear reduction. :)