Gecko 2 or Ripper chassis

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
imprtfightr

Gecko 2 or Ripper chassis

Post by imprtfightr »

I used to own the ripper. I tweaked it a bit and I could get almost 90 degrees articulation. It is the truck that is in my avatar.

I sold that one, missed it, and now am building another one. I have a Zilla 4, but it wont do for the crawler I want.

I am trying to decide between the ripper and the gecko 2.

The ripper is $240 (G-10 fiberglass version) and has everything you need. The Gecko 2 is $325 with everything the Ripper has, except the rear bumper and the adj. motor mounts.

I have no doubt the Gecko is a sweet crawler, but money wise its almost $100 more. The downside to the ripper, is you have to customize it by widening the lower links to fit Mag. Mayhems on it. It isn't hard, but it does become a pain replacing the longer screws when they get bent.

Any opionions advice is welcome!?

Sassy_Chassis_Clod

Post by Sassy_Chassis_Clod »

i believe its up to you... im mean your the one shelling out the dough..

well lets see i believe that both would be good crawlers but more ppl will likey have the gecko so the ripper will be more unquie...it seems that most rippers i see are for racing..so if you ever wkanted to race you could jest tweak it out to race and then switch it back to crawl....of corse thats what you have a z4 for.. so again it comes down to your chose

Demon_Knight

Post by Demon_Knight »

Why not think about the InetRC Entry level chassis? Very good value. Also, are you sure about the prices of the Ripper and Gecko? The Gecko at RC4WD is much cheaper than the Ripper and I think they come with the same stuff(links, one steering servo mount etc.) There's a new Gecko 2 out which is worth looking at too!

imprtfightr

Post by imprtfightr »

Well, from what I have found...the gecko IS cheaper, until you add on all the stuff you need to make it drivable. It was actually the gecko 2 I was talking about sinc it has the same lower links as the ripper. The G-10 fiberglass ripper is only 240. The corabon fibre one is $280.

I looked at the Inet chassis, and I really liked them, but maybe it was just me, but when i priced it out, it came inot the $400+ range.

BamBam

Post by BamBam »

I got everything I needed for my Inet chassis with Monster pirate adapters, front and rear bumpers, front and rear steering links, front
and rear servo mounts, set of C brackets, etc. Everything I needed
to run from them for $285.00 shipped.

Ofcourse that did not include electronics, motors, esc, etc.

Just my input. $400 sounds steep. Unless they changed pricings. 8)

The bat chassis is a different story! :D
Sugar is?

country-clod-89
Approved Member

Post by country-clod-89 »

are you sure the gecko 2 is 325.00? I thought it was a little over 200.00. the originals were about 170.00

MrHorspwer

Post by MrHorspwer »

TTR Ripper...... $240
Shocks........... $40

Total.............. $280

RCGuy Gecko2.. $199
RCGuy steering. $50
Shocks............. $40

Total.............. $289

INET Entry...... $180
INET ft. steer.. $13
INET lockout... $10
INET ft. bumper. $30
INET rr. bumper. $30
Shocks.............. $40

Total................. $303

There it is... the 3 chassis in question. Only what is required to make it a roller (chassis, steering, and shocks), was included. The prices are quoted from the prices on their own respective web sights... no "friendly deals" or anything of that sort. These are right now, Joe Blow off the street. Shipping isn't included since I didn't know if the shipping rates will change from those listed based on number of items ordered.

The TTR Ripper has a steering kit included with their chassis. Rear steer would require the pruchase of another steering kit. No bumpers are included in my tally above. You also said you had to do some "tweaks" to get it up to snuff for crawling too... I can't put a value on "tweaks".

The RCGuy Gecko has no steering kit with the chassis... steering is an extra $50. It is good to go for rear steer later down the line though... just add a second servo and swap the included link. No bumpers are included in my tally above.

The INET does not include steering with the chassis. The steering and lockout kits require the purchase of the bumpers... this jacks up the initial cost, but that may not be a big deal if you planned on purchasing bumpers anyway. If you wanna switch to rear steer later on down the line, it will require the purchase of a rear steer kit (assuming you stuck with ft. steer only and got the lockout kit to begin with).

There it is... 3 capable rollers, all within $25 of each other.

imprtfightr

Post by imprtfightr »

They are relatively close. When I figured the price on the gecko, I figured in the bumpers and adj. motor mounts, since it was a package deal.

I believe you need at least a front bumper though, for the Gecko 2 to mount the servo. I could be incorrect though. If you don't need it, it isn't too bad, if you do its another $50

imprtfightr

Post by imprtfightr »

Okay, I take it back. I just looked it up, and the steering kit includes the servo. Maybe I will just do that. I can make my own bumpers.

How about the GEcko 1 and 2 vs eachother. Is there big differences except for the lower links? Is there articulation differences?