Virginia Giant Tribute

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
RedRabbit
Approved Member

Re: Virginia Giant Tribute

Post by RedRabbit »

CowboyClod wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 pm
Here's a little tip for you in holding the body up independently use a shock with a locking clip that will rest right on top of the cylinder edge. Not shown here but I cut some plastic with a slight bend to it so when the body becomes fully raised it auto clicks into position supporting the weight of the body right on the cylinder.

That's freakin awesome man, thanks for the tip.

RedRabbit
Approved Member

Post by RedRabbit »

Finally gathered up all the paints I think I'm going to need. Testing colors on a speed shape. Using all Createx paints. So far I've laid down Wicked Silver, then Caribe Blue, shadow under the silver stripe with Marine Blue. I'll come back tomorrow and work with the yellows and red.

I also ordered the chassis and a bunch of other random bits. I'll update as the parts come in and I get time to knock things out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RedRabbit
Approved Member

Post by RedRabbit »

Couldn't wait until morning. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RedRabbit
Approved Member

Post by RedRabbit »

sicNme chassis came in today, WOOHOO! It was quite painful to paint it as I really wanted to polish it instead, the darn thing looks amazing. I also grabbed a pair of the anti-rotation brackets while I was at it. Sprayed it with Krylon satin black, then hit it with some Krylon matte clear (didn't have any satin clear on hand and wanted to use this stuff up). Happy with how it came out and can't wait to get it all back together now.

Disassembled the whole thing again and tore one axle down. Just doing one at a time so I don't confuse myself too bad in my old age, and I have a small workbench space at the moment as I've been building some model cars in my spare time, and knocking out a custom airbrushed helmet job I've had sitting around way too long.

I lived in Daytona Beach, FL back in the mid-late 90's so I was a bit scared seeing the sand built up on the axles behind the hubs, but luckily there was zero sand in the axle tubes or inside the gearbox. WHEW! I don't have any good grease for the gearbox laying around, so I'll grab some of that tomorrow and start the reassembly.

My bearing kit and LED programmer for the Hobbywing 880 came in today as well. One piece at a time, but it's killing me as I want to go racing. Looks like this stupid Covid thing is going to put a big hamper on the spring race season and possibly into the summer.

Hopefully I'll have this thing done in time to at least make a few laps before the racing is all done, but I'm not rushing it. Mostly I hope this virus mess blows over quick as there are quite a few people all over suffering from it, so the quicker it's gone the better. Crazy times for sure.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE »

This thing is gonna be cool!

RedRabbit
Approved Member

Post by RedRabbit »

RC51DUDE wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:17 pm
This thing is gonna be cool!
Thanks man! I sure hope so, but I've been known to screw up my fair share of projects in the past. Only time will tell, and with all the shipping delays due to Covid, it may take longer. UGH!

RedRabbit
Approved Member

Post by RedRabbit »

Stopped by my LHS today, luckily I have one about a mile from home. Unluckily, I have a difficult time finding the things I need when I go there, as their R/C selection is mainly Traxxas related and modern crawler stuff. I was looking for some Tamiya CeraGrease, but they were out and not sure when they'd get some. The owner is selling the shop as well, so not sure if they'll even order any to backfill at the moment.

So I ordered some on Amazon, but with the Covid lockdowns everywhere, a lot of places are holding shipments. I did go by the local hardware store really quick and grab flat washers, lock washers, nuts, and blue Loctite for the ball studs on the bottom and side of the chassis. I looked at other hardware, but didn't see anything I wanted in M3/M4 sizes. So I'm off to browse the old Google for some button head hex bolts etc.

No pics because I didn't accomplish much, but I did airbrush this helmet project I've been sitting on for way too long. Wanted to see if I could clear over the new to me Createx paints with regular 2K automotive urethane clear. It worked great. So I'll drop a few pics of that just so you have something cool to look at while you wait for progress.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE »

HA! that helmet is sweeeeet!! We went through the cafe racer craze before it became the hot new trend! I would have rocked that helmet for sure. I have a small collection of vintage and modern open face helmets. Last lid I used daily was a Fulmer.
I still have an old Amen Savior chopper build out in the shop, one of these days ill finish it and I wanted to do a burnt orange lace pattern over a cream white.

RedRabbit
Approved Member

Post by RedRabbit »

RC51DUDE wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:59 am
HA! that helmet is sweeeeet!! We went through the cafe racer craze before it became the hot new trend! I would have rocked that helmet for sure. I have a small collection of vintage and modern open face helmets. Last lid I used daily was a Fulmer.
I still have an old Amen Savior chopper build out in the shop, one of these days ill finish it and I wanted to do a burnt orange lace pattern over a cream white.
Thanks man! I'd love to have a Saviour frame project. My first bike was an XS650 chop. Currently riding a 96 Harley Springer and a 2015 Kawasaki KLR650.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE »

I've had my Amen chop for about 10 years now, been torn down and changed several times, all I played with were Honda CB 750s. My Amen is made to hold a CB 750 motor so I have a 1975 Super Sport motor in that one. I have a second bare frame hanging on the wall waiting for a donor bike. My daily ride is an 02 Harley Wide Glide.I sold my prized 2002 Honda RC51 last summer, my old back and knees just can't handle sport bikes anymore.

RedRabbit
Approved Member

Post by RedRabbit »

RC51DUDE wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:56 pm
my old back and knees just can't handle sport bikes anymore.
I'm fighting the same issue bud, don't feel bad. That's why I got the KLR650. Now I can chop the Harley and make it more of a play toy and the KLR will turn into my work truck. :)