Building a dream

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Owl
Approved Member

Re: Building a dream

Post by Owl »

I may be able to get some Tamiya Torque Tuned motors for cheap. Think they would make a difference to how the clod runs?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I personally doubt it, but cheap is cheap, so try em' if you like and let us know the results.

Owl
Approved Member

Post by Owl »

After a season of racing - it was great to get the clod out again I layed out bit a track- sone lawn, a couple of flower beds, some concrete and a dirt section. Grass dust and sand flying all over the place!! You would think after driving really fast stuff the clod would become boring, but it put just as big a smile on my face as ever. Turning through the dirt section with dust flying off the back wheels, the front bouncing and the inside wheel in the air? Fantastic!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Owl
Approved Member

Post by Owl »

It's happening.. getting some hotter brushed motors for the clod, and maybe some shocks. Will be sure to let you know what happens (hopefully not 2 broken gearboxes!)

Owl
Approved Member

Post by Owl »

IMG_20191201_160604.jpg
Motors in, and turning the right way. Now to see if the new shocks go in..... then a test drive😁
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Owl
Approved Member

Post by Owl »

It definitely has more torque, but top speed is identical... But going to charge the battery and then see again.

Owl
Approved Member

Post by Owl »

Well, the torque seems more but the top speed is identical. Think I'll put the stock silver cans back....

Owl
Approved Member

Post by Owl »

Seeing as my motor upgrade didn't work so well, I have gone for the more obvious solution and got a 5300mah lipo (2 cell). It was an impulse buy, and at the same time there were lipo savers, so took one of those as well. Unfortunately, the lipo saver isn't quite what I expected. It just has a light that goes one when the voltage drops, and I picked one for 3 cell by mistake. Not a biggie - it was very cheap.

The lipo fits well, but interferes with the pushrod to the front steering. Then I noticed that the old battery did as well! So, I will mount it with velcro in the front part of the chassis, and look forward to better steering.

It also weighs a lot less than the nimh currently in there, although the clod is so heavy I doubt that will make much difference.

Will let you guys know what happens.....

Al

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

A Lipo battery should make a huge contribution to the overall performance and increase both power and speed of the truck.

Not sure about your hotter motors but it could be that the ni-cd/ni-mh batteries might not have been able to put out enough juice for the motors to shine.

Look forward to your update.
...Was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon »

The torque tuned motora are possibly slightly slower at the top end than the stock silver cans. there a little debate about whether the Torque Tuned motors are timed, in which case running one backwards is going to be worse.. Neither motor will stress a decent sized NiMH battery, although the extra current delivery capability of a Li-Po (and a smidge more voltage, and a prolonged voltage as the battery charge decreases) may give you a bit more punch on opening the throttle stick.

Moving to a decent 23T or lower motor will certainly give you more speed, but you'll have to retime the second motor for the reverse rotation.

Owl
Approved Member

Post by Owl »

A summary of the experiments...
The Tamiya 23T motors really made a difference in torque, the mid range was impressive. But there was no difference in top end speed, and they caused the esc to overheat. A 5000mah lipo didn't make much difference at all. Replacing 1 shock on each corner with an oil damped shock has made a big difference though!

We are back to the stock motors and 5000mah Nimh, and I'm quite happy. Spent an hour or so tearing up the garden on Sunday, and still love this truck!!!

The new lipo will go in my M07, as the current lipo is a bit tired.

It's racing season again, so most of my car fiddling time will go into the race cars for the rest of the year. But I still want to bolt 2 bullheads together to make an 8x8 one of these days.....