Steve's tube clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Steve C
Approved Member

Re: Steve's tube clod build

Post by Steve C »

Finally back to doing some work on the tuber again. One thing that I was never happy with was the shock/spring combo I had for the truck, just never seemed right just going by feel on the bench. And if it feels bad on the bench it's gonna drive like garbage on the dirt. Finally fixed all that today. Rebuilt the shocks and fixed the leaky caps, then ended up trying different springs and found the T maxx springs actually feel really good on the aftermarket wheely king shocks. So suspension is all set now.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

country-clod-89
Approved Member

Post by country-clod-89 »

=D> very nice Steve! Love the brazing work on the tube frame, that high dollar brazing rod does make a difference!!! One question, I see the rear steer is locked out, what's the reasoning behind that? I was surprised considering the wheelbase and the authentic monster theme.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Rear steer is fun for low speed but if you add any sort of power to a clod then it becomes unstable due to the rear servo. So thats usually the first tweek most guys make to a clod.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

country-clod-89
Approved Member

Post by country-clod-89 »

Gotcha, back when I used to run them I always used 4WS but I was also out in the woods 99% of the time. All I had for speed was the gravel driveway LOL

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Should be finally back on this project very soon. Got a pair of RC4WD 20T motors for Christmas for this so gonna tryin get this one finished up shortly.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Steve C wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:36 pm
Should be finally back on this project very soon. Got a pair of RC4WD 20T motors for Christmas for this so gonna tryin get this one finished up shortly.
I tried a set of those on 3S last year, not bad if you stay on hard surfaces.
Mine were great till I ran them in the deep snow... LOL ... :explosion:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

I'm hoping (thinking) those motors should be okay for what I plan with this truck. Since this one has so much work and is so scale/detailed, I don't want it to be something that gets bashed hard, yet on the other hand I am not a shelf queen type guy. So I plan to run it, but not hard. I have my other clod for the fun/hard bashing stuff. So this one prob won't see a whole lot of mud/snow type stuff most likely.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Should finally have some time next week to get back to work on this truck again. Just made a change that I have been thinking about for a long time though. I built this truck pretty big with a 14.5" wheelbase and when I originally bought the JCT tires for it I was never satisfied that they just seemed out of place, as in on the small side for a truck like this. So just last week I sold the JCT's and I picked up a new set of Firestorms for it.

I also have a set of white Jconcept Tribute ordered which I plan to dye orange when they get here, and I have a set of the blue Jcon beadlock rings coming as well so I think the orange wheel with blue beadlocks are gonna look cool on it. And the Firestorms mocked up seem like a much better tire size for this truck now.

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Very nice tube frame! Looking forward to the update on the truck.
...Was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Tribute wheels came yesterday. I was thinking I was going to dye them orange and then use blue beadlocks. So I bought white wheels and blue beadlocks. Then after sitting the Firestorms next to it and getting a feel for how it looked, I decided I liked the look of maybe black wheels. So I went and bought some rit dye today and dyed the wheels black before mounting the tires. Also painted the planetary centers orange. I ordered some orange beadlocks then a couple days ago, but now I think I really like the looks of the black wheels with just the orange center, it just has such a tough look to it I think. So I might leave the beadlock rings off, we'll see.

Anyway here's some pics. I think the bigger Firestorms looks 10 times better than the JCT's did. I like the JCT's but with this chassis the size I built it (14.5" wheelbase) the larger Firestorms are just much more scale looking..

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE »

This truck just keeps getting better and better!

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Hey Steve, I'm curious what that awesome truck weighs - any ideas?
Any vids of it running?
...Was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

No vids yet I'm still finishing up electrical work. Total weight is 9.6lbs on this one.