Clodbuster 4S ESC & Motor sets for a custom setup?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
rotarypower101
Approved Member

Post by rotarypower101 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 am

I have a chassis I would like to outfit with a set of 4S compatible ESC and Brushless Motors, that will also be compatible with 2S

Speed is not a priority to be perfectly clear. Simply desire 4S as a reliable compatibility attribute as I have many of these packs that fit the vehicle really well. And will predominantly use the packs capacity as long duration rather than power and speed.

I would also like it to be compatible and work correctly down to 2S if possible when required simply for compatibility, and built in governor for kids.

Will use in sand and dunes, so a sealed system would be advantageous.

Would like high water/moisture resistance.

Optimistically I would like the controllers to have a small footprint.

They don't make a single controller driving 2 brushless motor system that is a reasonable option?

Any good options to consider that would meet most of the wants and desires, and would be a good fit for this vehicle?

Any information I can add to get help locating a good setup?

Currently I use a Novak Super Duty and 27 turn Midnight2 armatures in mod cans with counter clocked timing. Which is typically more speed than is desired, but I really would like some great punch when in loose sand crawling up steep sand dunes.

Renegade
Approved Member

Re: Clodbuster 4S ESC & Motor sets for a custom setup?

Post by Renegade » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 pm

There aren't really motors available that will fit in clod gearcases (540 size) and perform well from 2s-4s.. I'd recommend running some cheap 540 sensorless brushless motors on 2s, and just replacing them as they get destroyed by water/sand.

If your packs are 4s you can't wire them in parallel for increased capacity, but if you are using (2) 2s packs that opens up a ton of options as they will effectively act as a single large 2s which all ESCs can handle.
Team Juice: Wheelman

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:50 am

I'm guessing a pair of mamba X castle esc's and some low KV motors are what you are looking for. By low KV I'm talking like 2000kv, but not sure who makes that. Then again, since a mamba X does sensored, perhaps a pair of 17.5t sensored motors could work.

Now if you just want to run 4S, and are using a pair of 2S to make 4S, I'd say go for a EVX-2 brushed esc and the titan monster series motors from the e-revo (there's a normal and reverse rotation) they are 550 cans and are 21 turns, they are fine on 4S, as well and 3S, and are slow on 2S. They make tons of torque, I actually recommend getting adjustable motor mounts and gearing them up.

I suspect though, that you are talking about using 4S bricks and using the occaisional 2S packs for your kids. For that, I'd say a single mamba X, as it does 2-6S and program it into brushed mode, and make some Y-harnesses to run those titan motors I mentioned above.

rotarypower101
Approved Member

Post by rotarypower101 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:34 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:50 am

Now if you just want to run 4S, and are using a pair of 2S to make 4S, I'd say go for a EVX-2 brushed esc and the titan monster series motors from the e-revo (there's a normal and reverse rotation) they are 550 cans and are 21 turns, they are fine on 4S, as well and 3S, and are slow on 2S. They make tons of torque, I actually recommend getting adjustable motor mounts and gearing them up.
* If I sound at all negative in the following, not trying to, just trying to be strait forward and honest on my current opinion based on experiances.

You know, I have that EVX-2 brushed esc also...started with the super duty and moved that to a RC PowerWheel, and was so dissatisfied with the EVX-2 on the CLOD I got another super duty to replace it.

Maybe I was very unlucky, but it gave me nothing but issues...

Found out too late they sold me the "old model" without lipo cutoff.

Had the BEC go out, and had to run a external to bypass it.

Then the ESC would randomly “dead short” internally presumably, causing the ESC to heat or the input plug to almost instantly melt the connection like a fusible link... I would solder it back on then the ESC would work just fine for months of regular use until it wold randomly do it again...I suspected a software issue because if I was vigilant I could easily catch it, unplug it and plug it right back in and it would be fine...didnt like that ESC...

I would love to believe I did something to cause the issues, but these ESCs just are not under load or abused with my usage gearing or application... which is specifically what I wanted was a significantly high level of reliability over any performance metric.

Other than the issues, it was a very good ESC for me in concept, it had a relatively small footprint and dual motor leads! (as opposed to the super duty which IMO is stupidly backwards 2 input leads and a single low AWG output... but works fine for my application)

Save for the reverse ~1/2 power limiting, the EVX-2 was pretty great initially.

In concept it was fantastic, in real use it really disappointed me.

May I ask, will a brushless setup possibly disappoint me with the avalible brushless setup for that application IYO? Have not gotten any positive feedback for my desire to go brushless anywhere I have asked looking for a 4S system.

I really am looking for more reliability, and a little flexibility, you nailed it with the application, I have little kids that are of the age they want to have a go (And I am not going to say no if I can help it), with 2S utilized on a optimized 4S system I feel the relative lower speed will be perfect with no requirements for secondary EPA or throttle curve settings and intrinsically limit the damage physics can impart at speed.

I have a few Boat ESCs that are in that 2-6S range, maybe I should test it first, the hope was to get knowledge from simply asking those that are deeper into the hardware than I am.

Had those Titan Motors as well, albeit on the Power Wheel...they died a quick death also despite added fans...moved up to a 775 and the reliability soared! Wish they would fit in a Clod, sold on those.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Interesting (EVX-2), sounds like you got a bad one. Unless perchance you were running the 4S as one battery though the main plug? I've owned several EVX-2's over the years both with and without lipo cut-off and never had issue's with them. That said, once bitten, twice shy, I don't blame you a bit for feeling that way.

I'm surprised the titan motors don't fit with the 4-link set up you have. That said, with my previous build, I went to great lengths to make them work because I used adjustable motor mounts which added to the length on the cans.
As seen here: https://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 5&start=75
^^^that was my first on a few try's at linkages to work around those motor set-ups.

How fast it was on 4S: https://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=105

My final version of the build starts here: https://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=510
SO that should answer any questions you might have had about making those motors work.

Now, the 4S brushless thing you want to do, is not impossible IMO, but will be tricky. Like I said before, you are going to need some low kv motors to make that work, and then you are going to have to tune/turn the torque curve waaaaaaay down. I found this out the hard way running a pair of traxxas velineon systems in a clod (3500kv) and I broke lots of gears, usually when hitting the brakes, but in general they had a ton more torque than the 6900kv set up I was running prior to this (on 2S).

These days I run the stock silver cans in my super-stocker on 3S and I've found it to be a great balance of power and speed.