SG's First Clod - now Crawler

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: SG's First Clod - now Crawler

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Bit of an update after almost 2 years!

I have been using the Clod Crawler a fair bit. It can be a little frustrating as the links on the bottom of the cradle get caught up on obstacles easily. I had a bright idea to change the chassis. Now I know that I have seen this on here before but I could not find the thread.....

I picked up the parts that make a 1/8 HSP Crawler. This truck is sold under several different names in the US as well.
IMG_2852.PNG
IMG_2850.PNG
IMG_2843.JPG
The chassis is 3mm thick.
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2855.JPG
My initial thought was to remove the anodizing and paint it black. I quite like the orange though.... but it won't suit the body I have in mind for it.

I might be able to use the same lower links, but will need new upper links by the looks of it.

I also had these 3D upper links printed. I had a guy in the local club make them for me off a plan on thingiverse. Only charged me $24Aud, around $17Usd. They fit like a glove!
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG

Job over the weekend is to get teh axles to the chassis, then work out what I am doing with the colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat May 04, 2019 11:05 am

So I decided to get rid of the orange anodising and I totally stuffed it up.... I didn't research it properly and assumed that I would need to soak the aluminium parts in oven cleaner overnight like I have done in the past de-chroming wheels. It has made a bit of a mess of the side plates. This morning when I took the plates out of the bag they had a dark grey coating on them. I put them in hot water and scrubbed them with a brush and a little of it came off.
IMG_2861.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG
I ended up putting a wire wheel on them and took them back to aluminium. They are pitted. Hopefully they haven't lost any strength. The cross braces actually were fine, it's just the side plates. I'm unimpressed! Turns out after watching some youtube videos that I only needed to soak them in oven cleaned for 15 minutes or so #-o .
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2859.JPG
Anyway I have started painting them black. It should hide the pitting somewhat. If it doesn't work out I will have to buy new plates, they are at least cheap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Should be interesting to see how everything mates up.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 am

shadowfocus603 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:19 pm
Should be interesting to see how everything mates up.
Really easily!

It was just a matter of bolting the links to the chassis! I did have to extend the lower links by around 5mm so the gearboxes cleared the skid plate, but that was it.

It has a heap of clearance under which I am really happy about. I just need to loctite all of the nuts and put it together properly, fit the electrics, add the body and go!

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue May 07, 2019 4:29 am

Coming along nicely. Yeah gotta be careful about how long ya leave oven cleaner on. I remember back in the day I stripped the blue off my T maxx chassis so I could buff & polish it. Did it with oven cleaner and can't remember now how long I left it on but I do remember I could only do a section or so at a time, because if you left it on too long it would pit, and if you didn't leave it on long enough it wouldn't fully strip it.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 am

Cheers mate. Yeh I'm not impressed (with myself) at all.... I'm one of these people that researches pretty much everything, but this I dived into with no research at all :oops: .

I'm ok with it though, it's a crawler and the rest of it is far from perfect anyway. Once it gets some mud and dirt on it I won't notice it. In the mean time I keep telling myself it's a hammer tone finish :) .

Next time I reckon I'll just use caustic soda in warm water and watch it while it comes off!

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue May 07, 2019 4:45 am

Doesn't look bad by any means. Now that you did it black it actually kind'a makes it look like its coated with truck bed liner or something like that.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 am

Steve C wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:45 am
Doesn't look bad by any means. Now that you did it black it actually kind'a makes it look like its coated with truck bed liner or something like that.
Haha I'll go with that! I actually did turn the most pitted sides out as it looked better than the partially pitted sides!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:18 am

It's all done and up and running. The chassis isn't a great performer as far as crawling goes but it's ok. I reckon it would make a great all round basher. It is much better than the plastic chassis it had before though.

I picked up a couple of Turnigy 8a/15a BEC's and put one in the Clod. I was already running a Novak 5A BEC but will use that in a single servo truck that I have.
IMG_2920.JPG
I also made some braces to try to stop the servos from twisting. It has got rid of about 90% of the twisting. Not perfect but much better.
IMG_2919.JPG