How do you put together the Terminator Kit?

Support forum for CPE.
http://www.teamcpe.com/

Moderator: cpe mt

somekevinguy
Approved Member

How do you put together the Terminator Kit?

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:55 am

I just got my kit today but there are no instructions and I have no idea how to put it together. I've been a mechanic my whole life including having an Aircraft Power Plant and Airframe license but I can't make heads or tails of this thing. How do you mount the lower links to the axles? How do the upper link mounts bolt on? How does the front steer kit mount? Where do the shocks mount to? I am assuming the velcro straps are to hold the batteries in? Are you able to get them tight enough so they don't slide out when bashing? The cut outs for the battery seem to have pretty sharp edges. Should I put something around them or something?

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Re: How do you put together the Terminator Kit?

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 am

This sucks! I am just dead in the water here. I was so excited to put this thing together and now I am just sitting here. I can't believe this thing doesn't come with any instructions. I keeping trying to at least go to the next part and put that together but then I can't figure that part out either. At least if I had some good pictures of stuff but I can't even find any of those. The pictures on the site are these little tiny things in the first place and then I can't find shots of what I need anyway. :x

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:14 am

I'm attaching a number of photos showing where and how different areas of the chassis are to be assembled. If I missed an area or you're unsure of something, let me know and I'll provide that information. Your chassis should have arrived fully assembled.

Overall top view of chassis:

Overall bottom view of chassis:

Lower 4-link and sway bar connection at chassis:

Lower 4-link connection at axle:

Upper and lower shock mounting:

Upper 4-link mounting on chassis:

Upper 4-link mounting on axle:
Brett Crawford - Owner
Crawford Performance Engineering
http://www.teamcpe.com

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:21 am

The upper 4-link mounts you received are slightly different than pictured above but mount in a similar manner. Basically, the long tube slides down into the existing servo saver hole, then the aluminum brace can be attached to it using the shorter of the included screws. To attach the brace to your gearcase, use the longer hardware and the unthreaded spacer.

Here's a better picture of the installation, with the spacer installed between the aluminum brace and the plastic gearcase. Just mount your 4-links to it after that.

The steering servo mount directly replaces the stock angled gearcase support. You can install the servo a few different ways, and then attach it using one of the two shorter steering links. There are detailed photos showing this installation here:
http://www.crawfordperformanceengineeri ... g-p-2.html
Brett Crawford - Owner

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:30 am

First thank you very much for the pictures. Everything was all connected on the chassis side. Just need to figure out how everything attaches to the axles. So from looking at those pictures do I have to drill my own holes to mount the lower links? If so what size bit? Any particular spot or just wing it? I think I got the steering kit figured out from looking at the pictures on your site. I am not even sure which way is the racer way and which way is the crawler way. Any advice on which holes I should use for the Traxxas T-Maxx big bore shocks?

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:47 am

You'll need to use a 1/8" drill bit, and simply drill the hole as a mirror image to the one already there holding the gearcase support on. If nothing else, try and center it on the axle tube as that will give it the most strength.

There really isn't a racer or crawler way to mount the servo, but I would suggest mounting the servo under the servo mount. It lowers the weight on the axle and also protects the servo more.

As far as mounting the shocks, there's adjustments both top and bottom to dial everything in to your liking. For starters you can use the 2nd hole out on the link from the chassis (not counting the one used for the sway bar).
Brett Crawford - Owner

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:02 am

OK I must doing doing something wrong. I got the steering rod mounted behind the axle and the lower links run into the steering rod if the lower links angle down pretty much at all below parallel to the ground.

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:18 am

A couple of things you can do to correct that:

1. Install the tie-rod on the opposite side of the steering knuckle. That will raise or lower the bar depending on how it's set now.

2. If you look closely at your stock Clod steering knuckles, you'll see that they can be installed with either a high or low side relative to how the steering arm angles off the knuckle. You can also experiment with that, which will also raise or lower the tie-rod further from how it is now.

I can get photos of this, but it will have to be in the morning
Brett Crawford - Owner

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:59 am

I tried flipping them to the higher position but then it ran into the servo saver. I did move the bar up on top of the arms but that only bought me the thickness of the bar because the arm still runs into the lower link when they turn. Also the lower links go out at an angle from the center of the chassis to the outside of the axles where they mount so when I try and install the upper mount of the shocks with the standoffs it lines the shocks up parallel to the chassis because that is not a ball joint and the shocks need to tilt out a little bit to mount onto the lower links that are angled out. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but basically nothing seems to be fitting right and everything is all bound up and I have interferences all over the place and it seems like I am hardly going to have any articulation. :?:

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:52 am

Maybe you can look at these pictures and tell what I did wrong. There is no way this thing can be designed this way. The bottom links actually have to be angled up a little bit for them to not hit the steering arm. I also ended up having to put the steering link back below the arm because when I went to install the motor the linkage from the servo to the link hit the motor when it turned to the left when it was on top. The servo saver is about to hit the motor right now and I haven't even cut off the steering stops yet. Also like I said I can't tighten the top shock mounts or else it will put them into a bind because they need to angle out to meet the bottom links but if I leave them loose like that the bolt is going to sit there and saw on the chassis. Also I was trying to place the shocks to limit the suspension travel so the lower link doesn't hit the steering at full droop and the upper links don't hit the motor on one side or the gear case on the other side on full compression but so far I couldn't do it trying various holes.

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am

Well I just solved all my problems! I tried putting the tires on and the chassis bottoms out on the ground after about an inch of travel long before the upper links hit the motor and case and the tires run into the lower links when they turn long before it even hits the steering stops so I guess I don't have to worry about the servo saver and linkage hitting the motor or the upper links hitting the engine or the case. :x Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:12 pm

The Terminator chassis isn't designed with a lot of articulation in it, and you probably won't see much past 40 degrees. We haven't had issues in the past with supplying the straight upper shock mounts, enough though you're correct in saying it binds the top of the shock a bit. I sent an e-mail to our race guys to see if they're doing anything different from what is supplied in the kit. I know they're using the same shocks as you.

From your photos, your shocks need to be moved a bit so they'll work better. Take a look at this photo and you'll see that the upper shock mounts are down considerably lower than you have them now. That will give you more ground clearance as well. Typically when you see a race truck at rest, the shocks are already compressed approximately a third of their travel. Pick the truck up and the suspension droops 1st before the wheels actually leave the ground.

As far as the BTA, it's going to be close in getting the tie-rod past the lower links. One thing you can do is to move the 4-link mounting point on the chassis forward (more towards the outer edge of the chassis). This will stand the gearcase up straighter, and give you more clearance between the tie-rod and lower link.

I will send you a set of our CPE-STR3 steering links which will allow you to use the same servo and mount, just flipped around so your steering is in front of the axle. The BTA kit should work fine, but this will give you another option. I'll also send you spacers and hardware to shift the axle side of the lower links inboard farther. Typically these trucks have some kind of widener run on them, but this will help minimize any rubbing issues you may have and will also help your shock angles.

Thanks!
Brett Crawford - Owner

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:34 pm

The reason I mounted the shocks so high was to keep the suspension from drooping down any lower because it will hit the tie rod. Also when you say to move the links out farther on the chasis are you talking about the upper ones because the lower ones are already at the edge.

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Sorry, yes the upper ones. Those control the angle of the gearcase, which in turn will change where the BTA tie-rod runs without changing the location of the lower link.
Brett Crawford - Owner

somekevinguy
Approved Member

Post by somekevinguy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:03 pm

You said these trucks usually have some sort of widener on them. Are you talking about just wheel spacers? Would it be worth my while to just go ahead and get those? Do they help with performance a lot? I want to try and keep a scale look. Do they ruin that? What size do most people run? Is there another way to widen the axles that is better?