Anyone still around?

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
Steve C
Approved Member

Re: Anyone still around?

Post by Steve C » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm

From the sounds of it I'm guessing RC10talk is another site you own/admin lowgear? I'll have to check it out, I've not heard of it before.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 am

Yes, RC10Talk was the site I bought/took over, and it included ClodTalk here as a package deal. RC10Talk has around a hundred members who log in every day, and it's quickly closing in on 400,000 posts. So there's no shortage of activity, even during the slow months. It initially started out 13 years ago being a place just to talk about the RC10 (hence the name) but it now encompasses all makes and models. 80% of the discussions revolve around the vintage side of the hobby which we define as pre-2000 but there's a forum called "21st Century Modern" where anything made from the year 2000 to the current day can be discussed.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:40 am

I think that RC10Talk does better because it caters to racers and restorers, monster trucks have never really been a huge market, and my experience is that users tend to be very brand/model loyal, which means that "Clodtalk" is a fairly tight niche, even though we talk about everything here.

For myself, I've been here since the beginning. Even when life took me in a different direction I stuck around and participated a lot. It finally got to the point where RC just wasn't something I had time for anymore, so I passed the royal scepter to Andy, who has always been a huge asset to the site.

When finances allow my return to RC, you can bet I'll be back with a vengeance. 8) Until then, I still try to stop in from time to time, whether it's to answer a few questions or share something of my own. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:22 pm

Lowgear wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:30 am

There isn't a solitary answer as to why ClodTalk no longer gets the activity it once did. it's a multitude of reasons which have already been touched upon above. Other social media platforms have taken over which better cater to the current dumbed-down society we live in today, and the youth of today having no attention spans, and no interest in hobbies. Hell, they have very little interest in anything outside of cyberspace really. It's also one of the reasons why the classic car world is dying. The modern R/C industry is only able to stay afloat by producing RTR garbage since People need instant gratification these days as well. They'll only buy them if they can get a quick thrill before losing interest.
AMEN!!!! And its sad because I see it in everything I am into. The RC world, The hotrod community, the motorcycle world, ATV world. Look at Harley Davidson, the old-timers are dyeing off, so what is Harley doing, trying to market an electric Harley???!!! I'm sorry, a what? Yamaha is the only Motorcycle manufacture that offers a true sport quad anymore.

Im gonna just stop here before I go into a huge rant.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 am

Something to remember, folks, no matter how small your niche interest is, there are always others who share it, so don't give up on finding them and help support the places that you do find, like Clodtalk.

CT is slow because even the regulars aren't so regular anymore, it takes everyone making a point to stop in as often as possible. Start an off topic chat about something, pick on Andy (my personal favorite pastime :twisted: ), build something and share it, even if you don't get responses, someone is absolutely seeing your work and it's there when others do come around. 8)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 pm

Halgar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 am

CT is slow because even the regulars aren't so regular anymore, it takes everyone making a point to stop in as often as possible. Start an off topic chat about something, pick on Andy (my personal favorite pastime :twisted: )
Traxxey says YOU haven't been regular for years.... :shock:
As for picking on me... that reminds me.... need to find more funny Halgar picks. :nana:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 pm

Traxxey says YOU haven't been regular for years.... :shock:
What can I say, I take being anal retentive VERY seriously! :| #-o :lol: :lol:

country-clod-89
Approved Member

Post by country-clod-89 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Halgar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 am
CT is slow because even the regulars aren't so regular anymore, it takes everyone making a point to stop in as often as possible. Start an off topic chat about something, pick on Andy (my personal favorite pastime :twisted: ), build something and share it, even if you don't get responses, someone is absolutely seeing your work and it's there when others do come around. 8)
Well, you see. I haven't posted in roughly 12 years, so you may be onto something with the "regulars arent so regular" statement!! I really hate to see this place struggling, although I'm part of the problem considering I've been gone and out of the hobby so long. I was clearing off some shelves this weekend and found my old high lift.... domino effect, here I am!