Aquariums

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
Steve C
Approved Member

Aquariums

Post by Steve C » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:18 am

Anyone else here into/keep aquariums & fish at all?

I've got a lot of hobbies I enjoy and aquariums are one of the big ones. My entire basement is something I turned into my custom rod building shop/office (I have ran my own custom fly rod business for the past 17 yrs) but I have also incorporated all of my aquariums into the basement decor as well. I've got some big tanks from 240g 6'x2'x30" to some 125g and 120g ones and some 75g ones. I do all the build work on them myself with making all the 3d backgrounds by hand and building the stands and lighting systems and such. The backgrounds I build are made of hand carved foam and then details done with various tools and foam burners then painted and dry-brushed then sealed with two part epoxy. If you've ever seen the show "Tanked" thats pretty much how I do my builds as well just on a smaller scale.

Finished up building my 240g tank a year ago and have been adding fish for the past year. It takes a while and isn't cheap to add so many fish lol. Finally today picked up what I would say will be the last of the fish for this tank now and can call it "done" so figured I'd share a little vid of it and a few pictures..

Anyone else keep fish here?

Short video here--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qQbUdHZwfo

I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Halgar
Administrator

Re: Aquariums

Post by Halgar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 pm

That's quite the collection of fish! I enjoy looking at them from time to time, but wouldn't want a tank. A pond is more my speed, stock it and forget it. :lol:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 am

That looks like it would be a very relaxing atmosphere. A lot of dedication going on there, especially if you do all the parts of it yourself. :shock: I had fish growing up which culminated into something like a 6-8 gallon tank. I remember it being really difficult to maintain. I do computer work for an older gentleman that's into live aquarium plants. He even wrote a book or two about it back in the day. Thanks for sharing the pics and vid with us. :thumbsup:

Fly fishing to me has always been intriguing but it's yet another thing you have to be really passionate about to be a part of it. It's not like regular fishing where you can just drop a line in any pool of water. I bought a Chevy big block around 15 years ago from a guy on the eastern tip of Long Island that hand crafted fly fishing rods. I remember he was asking a pretty penny for 'em.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 pm

That is a very nice aquarium set up! I've always had fish, ranging from 10g to 85g tanks. I've only got 2 fish left in a 55g right now. I've always enjoyed having fish, but lately, the time required to keep the tank looking nice has become too much. I really think I need to just start over from scratch. I've always fantasized about having a tank large enough for me to scuba in it for cleaning. Maybe after I hit the lotto jackpot. :lol:

Anyway, =D> on your setup!
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."