Original Xbox

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
Halgar
Administrator

Original Xbox

Post by Halgar » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Hey guys,

Anyone here know of a rebuild kit for original xbox controllers? I've seen a few for the wireless ones, but nothing for the older version. All of my OEM controllers have finally given up the ghost and just don't work anymore. Cleaning them might help, I plan to try this, but ultimately, I believe that the joysticks have plumb wore out.

Yes, I've already tried buying aftermarket controllers, they are complete crap! They are so cheaply made that there is zero finesse to the control. It's either moving or it's not, making it impossible to aim or move with any level of accuracy.

Ultimately, I want to move everything to PC, but until then, I am stuck either buying used and worn out controllers or trying to repair the ones I have. Which brings up another question, anybody out there got a good original xbox emulator for the PC? I'll actually be needing emulators for all versions of all consoles, but for now would be happy to find one for the original xbox. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

132NHAF
Administrator

Re: Original Xbox

Post by 132NHAF » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Xbox? Like ORIGINAL Xbox? Man, you're old.

Seriously though, if you are hooked on the games and not just the system, see what games are compatible with the new system. I've done that with the kids and we have moved along as the systems evolved. If you are hooked on the system, I totally get that, from you at least. After all, you pushed that odball 3-link Clod suspension mod for years.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:13 pm

132NHAF wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm
Remind me to never mention I have a Super Nintendo at my cabin upnorth that my Nephew & I still play every year :oops:
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm

132NHAF wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Seriously though, if you are hooked on the games and not just the system, see what games are compatible with the new system. I've done that with the kids and we have moved along as the systems evolved. If you are hooked on the system, I totally get that, from you at least. After all, you pushed that odball 3-link Clod suspension mod for years.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To be honest, I despise MacroCrap products and wish them an early and painful demise! I've played about a dozen games on the original, yes THE original console, Halo is the only one I like. Bungee really knocked it out of the park with that one. I will eventually get moved over to a PC and use emulators, but until that time, I still need functional controllers for the original console.

I'm going to take these apart and clean them, see if that breathes a little extra life into them. I bought new ones, but they're so cheaply made that they have zero finesse or control, they're actually worse than the worn out OEM controllers.

Hey Steve, I too had an NES, SNES, N64, original Xbox, and an Xbox360. You guessed it, one game on each console . . . :roll: #-o :lol: More recently, I've come across The Last of Us and Uncharted, which are PS games, so there's another console, or six, that I need to get for the one game I'd ever play on them. Now you see why I want to move to PC? :lol:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I've got The Last of Us for my PS4 here at home, great game. I got about 80% through it and haven't had a chance to get back to it for the last 6 months. Need to pop that back in some time soon. Although with Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out Friday I believe my gaming time will be spoken for from now till at least mid winter :)
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:09 pm

I've got a couple of youtube game channels where I watch no commentary game play as a movie. Naughty Dog does a fantastic job with their games, having much the same attitude as Pixar, in that the story has to be there first, then the game, filming, animation can begin. LOF and Uncharted both have great stories. I can't wait for the next installment of LOF which was supposed to be this fall, but looks like probably next summer before it gets released.

They're not doing Uncharted anymore, at least not with Nathan Drake, the former lead character. On one hand, that is unfortunate, because the Nathan character was great, on the other hand, in the last game they moved two of the previous female characters into the lead.

The only other problem with these two game franchises is that they are single player only. As much as I like playing with myself, it's more fun playing with a friend. Oh, come on now! Get your minds out of the gutter! :lol: :lol: #-o #-o :nana:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 pm

On a similar note, I really enjoyed GTA 5, watching the "movie" versions. Recently, the vid channels have posted some of the original GTA games, it's hard to believe anyone wanted to play those, let alone have been popular enough to spawn GTA 5, which is a completely different game, both in feel and game play.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Totally agree that Uncharted was a great game and won't be the same with out the Nathan Drake character. I think I have played most of the Uncharted games. Latest one I have played is I think #4 (Theif's End). That's another one I started and haven't finished yet though. I believe I'm only maybe 25% into that one so far.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Yeah, I think A Thief's End is the last one with Drake, the next one has Chloe and Nadine Ross as the leads. Both are excellent, strong characters. As far as I know, it's still a single player game and you play as Chloe, at least, I think that is her name, it's been a while since I've watched the "movie". #-o

I've found movie versions of all the Uncharted games, enjoyed them all.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:36 pm

I still consider Pitfall for the Atari 2600 the greatest game of all time. I still play it, on an original Atari 2600. :lol:
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Use to love Pitfall, I actually still remember getting it for Christmas so many years ago :) I think my favorite game for the 2600 was Missile Command. I use to play that so much it was ridiculous the amount of time I wasted on that. My Dad even loved that game when I was little and we'd go back & forth seeing who could get the high score.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Pitfall was probably the predecessor to my all time favorite, Lode Runner, which was a Commadore64 game. I loved that game, not only great to play, you could also make your own levels. My buddy and I designed a couple that were right at the limits of being playable. I had the 3D version for my Nintendo64, which I could never beat because on the last level you can't see what you needed to do due to extremely bad camera angles. #-o :roll:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:26 am

Lode Runner 3D, if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATkANN0k1oo

Kinda boring to watch, fun to play 8)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm

I've had the PS4 fired back up lately. Been playin' the heck out of some Red Dead Redemption2 for the past week :)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 pm

I pulled the N64 out last night and was playing Lode Runner 3D. The game is fairly easy, but the graphics and cruddy controls make it immensely difficult! #-o :lol: