Home theater build

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
Steve C
Approved Member

Home theater build

Post by Steve C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:44 am

About a month ago I decided to clean out 30 yrs worth of storage in the attic and build myself a really nice looking home theater. One thing I wanted was a star ceiling I have seen in some high end theaters but the price tag for them are in the thousands of dollars. So like everything else I do I decided to research how these companies do these star ceilings and get to work doing it myself. Basically what I did was a dropped ceiling using 1/2MDF painted flat black. Then drilled and a total of 6000' (yep you read that right) of small fiber optic cable ran through the holes. Glued in place and trimmed flush. Then the ends hook to a light engine I hide in the ceiling. Thats an oversimplification just to give you an idea of how I did it. Took me about 40+ hrs of work but this is the end result. Going to add a really cool look to the theater room when it's all done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83sWqhWkk8
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Halgar
Administrator

Re: Home theater build

Post by Halgar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm

That's quite the project. Just curious, what was the cost of something like this to buy and what was your cost to do it yourself? 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:50 pm

That's the killer of it all. There are home theater companies that do this exact size ceiling and to install it they charge about $3000. You can buy the pre made panels and do it yourself with their parts for about $1500. Or you can do like I did and order the fiber optics and drive motor from singapore and use MDF panels and do the whole job for about $200 :thumbsup:
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:11 am

Made some custom c-channels today that hold blue LED strip light pointed up at the very edges of the star ceiling to give it that edge of the earth atmosphere look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlmmIVK ... e=youtu.be

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:39 am

Nice job! 8)

So, when ya gonna come over and do that at my house?!?!?!!? :mrgreen:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:36 pm

I don't think this old body is gonna last long enough just to finish my own to tell ya the truth #-o Shoulder is killing me from doing the ceiling work (bad rotator cuff to start with) legs have been sore for a week now like someone punched me right in the thighs, and right knee has been giving me trouble the past couple days. I use to be able to do this stuff no problem but I think I got old when I wasn't lookin'. To be fair though I have been working pretty hard, probably 10hrs per day on the room for the past 8-10 days now so I guess some soreness is to be expected.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 am

Yeah, if you're gonna work that hard and long, you gotta have plenty of cold snacks to get ya through! :twisted: :lol:

I'm gonna pm ya some info for them sore spots. 8)

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Steve C wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:36 pm
I think I got old when I wasn't lookin'.
Funny how that happens. The days are slow, but the years go by so fast. Time, is no friend of mine. Ceiling looks great! What is the advantage of fiber optic vs. LEDs?
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:54 pm

The advantage of fiber optics is that there are no wires or electrical work to be done like there would be with LED. Plus there are no diodes to burn out or malfunction. What fiber optic is is a long very thin light transmitting filament that you can bend and twist where you want it as long as there's no major kinks. The one end is inserted into a light drive motor then it transmits light through the filament. You can cut it to length and no worry about it affecting the light being transmitted.

This is the back side of one of the panels after I drilled it and inserted all the fiber optic filaments into it.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:17 am

Still have a lot to decorating to do but it's really starting to look like something now :)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 am

Why the heck do you have a picture of Andy at the end of your sofa?!?!?! #-o :rofl: :rofl: