Car Care Products

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
Halgar
Administrator

Car Care Products

Post by Halgar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:42 pm

What kinds of car care products do you like? This 03 'burb I bought hasn't been cleaned in I don't know how long. Decided that I'll replace the carpet and floor mats within the next month or two, so I'm not overly worried about deep cleaning. I'd still like to get them cleaned to at least knock back some of the filth. I am hesitant to use the hand wand on a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner because I don't want to put too much moisture into the carpet or seats. We are somewhat chemically sensitive, so I also don't want to go saturating everything with cleaning solvents. What is going to be the best way to clean carpet and upholstery?

The second part to this question is what products do you like to use for cleaning and protecting all the interior plastics? This thing has been garaged for most of it's life, but will now live in the California sun and elements, so I'm thinking some UV protectant would be a good idea.

Anybody do body work? I'll need to pull a lot of the interior plastic when it comes time to change the carpets. Screwdrivers work, but they also scratch and damage stuff, so I'm happy to pick up some tools to aid in removing interior panels.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Car Care Products

Post by SFC K » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:50 am

Sounds like a project in a half. I would check out Harbor Freight. You can get door panel removal tools that are awesome for removing interior parts and are cheap. The plastic versions are the best and come in differ sizes in one package. I have a set and love them.

For interior cleaning and protectant, I use a 3m product but can remember the name and works great. For your location, I would get the windows tinted with some UV protectant film. It would be the best way to preserve the interior if that is your desire.

Carpet cleaning, Zerorez (Spelling) carpet cleaning I have heard does a great job and doesn't use water, but does home carpet cleaning. I wonder if they would do a vehicle interior. Have you heard of them out your way?
Jeff

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 pm

I was looking at HF and Amazon for trim tools. Amazon has a set I like for around $20, but the reviews are not so favorable. HF has a set of 3 or 5 for $10, but doesn't have plastic rivet popper pliers which I think will come in handy. I'll look around a bit more to see what I can find.

Most of the windows already have uv tinting, but you can't legally do front windows or windshield, so a topical protectant for the dash and door panels seems like a good idea. When you get a chance, get me the name of that 3M product. I'm also going to look at Mother's and McGuire's products, since those are both highly rated.

Zerorez sounds familiar, doubtful that a carpet company will do vehicle detailing, but might be worth a shot. I've actually decided to pull the rear carpet out and go to town on it with the hose and scrub brushes. With it out of the vehicle, I'm not at all concerned about moisture issues. Will have to wait for better/warmer weather though. #-o :lol:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:03 am

Quick update on the Burb.

I've had it for a month now. I spent the better part of last week taking the carpet out of the suburban so that it could be thoroughly cleaned. This required pulling most of the plastic trim and all the seats.
no seats-carpet.JPG
While all the plastic was out, it got cleaned and a coating of MaGuire's cleaner/polish. It seemed to clean ok, but it didn't revive the look at all, so I'm still on the hunt for a good interior shiny shine that doesn't leave a greasy residue.

With the seats out, I figured that this was the perfect time to upgrade the front jump seat to a console, which entailed disassembling the front of the dash and dash skirt. The reason for this upgrade is that the storage in the seat was useless, the console is much deeper and has more cubbies.
jumpseat 1a.JPG
-
console 1a.JPG
I was into it this far, might as well take care of the various dash squeaks while I was at it, which required pulling the dash cover which had a broken clip mount. Other wires needed isolating/foam protection to stop those squeaks as well.
dash clip 1a.JPG
-
dash clip 1c.JPG
The weather has turned for the worse, so I don't have any reassembled or before/after pix yet, but I did have a surprise inspection that passed with flying colors! :lol:
inspector 1a.JPG
-
inspector 1b.JPG
The pix really don't do justice to how dirty the carpets were or how clean they are now, suffice it to say, there is a night and day difference in how they look and the smell of the Burb now. We've taken a couple day trips over the past few weeks, put on around 600 miles. It's amazing what a difference there is between driving the 02 Sierra that we've had since new, and this 03 Burb. The truck is definitely a truck in all ways, where the Burb is more car like with quieter interior and softer suspension.

When the weather clears I'll post up new pix. I'm also planning on taking care of some of the exterior dents, dings, and paint damage when the weather is better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat May 04, 2019 3:07 am

Anybody got ideas/recommendations for restoring weathered/faded exterior black plastics? Any particular products you like for restoring and topcoat protection?

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 am

A quick update. The body work has been completed, completely waxed and buffed, all the exterior plastic trim has been cleaned and restored. Baby looks darned near brand new. I'll get some pix here in the next few days. 8)

It's nice to be finally done with everything, at least done for now. There will always be something that needs a little buff and polish, such as the grill, engine bay, polish up the rims, maybe touch up the paint on the dash . . . But, these things are all minor and can be done as time and inclination allow. I'm ready to sit back and enjoy her for a while. 8)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Looking good! I hear ya on fixin the dash squeaks. With my OCD that's one thing that absolutely drives me nuts when I get into someones vehicle and there's squeaks all over the dash. Makes me want to jump out of the moving car lol.

For faded trim theres one that I can't remember the exact name of off hand but it's Gtech something or other. It's really pricey though and hard to find so there's another good one called TriNova plastic trim restorer that can be bought at Walmart or any auto parts store for about $12, or at least that's what it use to cost so probably still around there.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:05 am

Steve C wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:18 pm
Looking good! I hear ya on fixin the dash squeaks. With my OCD that's one thing that absolutely drives me nuts when I get into someones vehicle and there's squeaks all over the dash. Makes me want to jump out of the moving car lol.

For faded trim theres one that I can't remember the exact name of off hand but it's Gtech something or other. It's really pricey though and hard to find so there's another good one called TriNova plastic trim restorer that can be bought at Walmart or any auto parts store for about $12, or at least that's what it use to cost so probably still around there.
The Burb has got some intermittent squeaks in the dash that drive me nuts. I can drive for weeks and not hear a thing, then a random squeak starts talking! :evil: :roll: #-o :lol: As long as they're quiet most of the time, I'm not going to bother trying to find them.

The Burb's trim mostly just needed a really good cleaning. I use Bleche White to clean the tires, and while it's not specifically a plastics cleaner, I've had absolutely great success cleaning rubber floor mats and all the exterior plastics and trim. The Burb has a black plastic trim down the side of it, it cleaned up reasonably well with the BW and following with a shiny-shine product it is immaculate, the running boards look brand new with just cleaning (no shiny-shine because I don't want them slippery). I've also done all the door handles and the roof rack and it made a huge difference just cleaning, then I also followed up with a shiny-shine product.

I'm not naming the shiny-shine product because I'm not sold on it just yet. It is marketed as a "touchless" product, meaning spray it on and walk away, but doing this leaves a massively gooey slimy mess! A go through the car wash takes care of most of it, but it's still slimy, which is the exact opposite of what I was looking for. I'm going to try a Macguire's product next, maybe 303 as an alternative. These things are expensive to "test", but when you find the right one, it's worth the price if it does what you're looking for. I'm also very interested in trying out a ceramic product I've been hearing good things about, but this last one is more of an all over body spray that is supposed to inhibit dust/dirt from adhering to the vehicle and is also a "drying agent", meaning water seriously beads up and rolls off, reducing/eliminating water spots. My fear is, that it's simply going to make the whole vehicle a slimy mess, so I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on a $30 bottle of shiny-shine just yet.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:48 pm

Sounds almost like the "No touch" tires spray I use to use on my Ground Hawgs I had on my Blazer years ago. You just sprayed it on and walked away. Did a great job, but was really slick and messy.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:20 pm

I've had reasonably good results using Mothers Back to Black Trim and Plastic Restorer. http://www.mothers.com/02_products/0611 ... slider1=18. Its not the best product out there, but its the best I could find here in WV. :roll:
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:26 am

This is NOT a recommendation!!!!! :shock:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FMV7C6/

This is what I bought, around $10 as I recall. Again, leaves a slimy residue to just spray it on. I have been spraying it on a rag or lightly over the surface and wiping/rubbing it down to even it out and minimize the slime. For the tires, I just spray those down, let it sit for 24 hours, then head to the car wash, afterwards the tires are nicely prepped, but not slimy.

I asked the auto parts lizard for something that didn't leave a slimy layer and had UV protection, and this is what he sold me. He even grabbed a can and went out and sprayed the plastic trim on the front bumper of the Burb. It looked ok when he was done, but obviously slimy, he said it would be fine . . . He made the sale, but the slime never went away.

While I won't, just yet, say that this is a crizzapy product, it isn't what I was looking for, so I'm still on the hunt for a non-slimy top coat for both interior and exterior detailing.

303 is on my list to try, as is a Macguire's ceramic product. I'm gonna burn up this stuff first before moving on to the next.

If ya got a favorite, share it! 8)

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 am

Halgar I'm with you I cant stand slimy dash boards and interior panels. Post up if you find anything. I still haven't found something I like.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:26 am

I'm finished with all the detailing for now, so it will be a while before I try any new products. I want to use up what I have and will continue to research for the next one to try.

I'm hopeful for some of these ceramic/drying products, but an still extremely leery of how slimy they'll be when applied. Rain-X is supposed to be the bee's knees for keeping your windows clear in the rain, I don't like it because it causes the window to fog for about a 3" path behind the wiper stroke, which to me is worse than the water itself because of the glare it causes at night. I'll use it on the other windows, but not the windshield. BTW, Rain-X is great at preventing water spots shower doors too!