Hello

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
~New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.~
gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Hello

Post by gritsngreens1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am

Hello all, just found this forum during the week. I always wanted a clod back in my younger years and somehow never got one. Now i'm kind of having a second childhood with both of my children grown and gone, I ordered a clod this week and can't wait to finally have one! I will start off stock and then start modding. Any advise for speed controls and motors? I just wand a yard basher no racing or jumping. I just want a solid dependable truck i can run an not have to constantly repair.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Hello

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Welcome!

A traxxas EVX-2 esc (you'll need to make up a jumper plug to bypass the 2nd battery plug), a stick sized 3S lipo (the type that are the dimensions of a standard 2S lipo), and heavier motor wires on the stock motors will get you off to a nice start.

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Are stock motors ok? Do I need to purchase something different for longevity?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 pm

They are fine, in fact, that is what I run more often than not. They will take 3S long term, and even take 4S short term.
You will want to order a full set of ball bearings to use instead of the stock plastic bushings.
It would also be a good idea to get a pair of robinson racing 13T 32P pinions, as the stock ones wear out quickly.

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:48 am

Thanks for the info. I ordered bearings when i ordered my truck. I've been reading as much as possible on here in the last week. It's amazing how much things have changed since i've been out of the loop.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:51 am

Welcome to Clodtalk!
Jeff

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks!I have a few more questions, What kind of charger and batteries? I'm totally new with lipo altogether. Can i order one of these traxxas combos with batteries and charger to go with the speed control (Evx2) i ordered? Or better off going with the thunder AC680 and smc batteries? What connectors do I need? Do I solder everything except batteries? Lots of questions but mainly about batteries and chargers. I also see the bags for the batteries when charging, any info on do's and dont's ? Sorry for all the questions but last time I charged a battery I would buy a set of matched cells and solder up my packs and just plug and play, seems a lil more complicated with lipo. Thanks in advance guys.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:13 pm

gritsngreens1 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 am
Or better off going with the thunder AC680 and smc batteries? What connectors do I need?
That's what I would buy. (3S 4500mah)
As for connectors, use what you prefer, as long as they are high current connections.
Do I solder everything except batteries?
Depends on what plugs you go with.
That said, the EVX-2 is meant to be used with TWO batteries, and is wired in series internally.
if buying a new one, the battery plug with the red tag on it is the primary plug, the other is the secondary.
The secondary plug needs to be bypassed to function on a single battery. This is done with either a jumper plug (you would need to make this), or by cutting the secondary plug off and soldering the wires together.

Also when buying an EVX-2, make sure it is one of the modern ones with lipo cut-off. The case will be blue, and there will be tiny writing near the on-off button.
I also see the bags for the batteries when charging, any info on do's and dont's ?
Lipo batteries have a voltage window. Cells should never be charged over 4.2v, or discharged below 3.0v (safer to stay around 3.2-3.4v).
So a 2S for example (2= #of cells) (S= series) (sometimes you will see "P" and that's for parellel, example 2S1P (2 cells in parellel) or 2S2P (2 cells made from 2 pairs of cells in parellel, meaning 4 small cells wired up to equal 2 larger cells)

LIPO bags are fire resistant bags as if a battery catches fire they are nasty. This is not common, but as with all electrics, things can go poof.
Make sure you always balance charge with a balance charger. (the one mentioned above is good)

If using traxxas plugs, get the old ones. the new ones are backward compatable, but traxxas has gone towards a system that does not utilize a separate balance plug (the industry standard) which means you need a traxxas charger to charge a newer traxxas lipo.
I have used traxxas plugs for years, but some days I get tired of them, as they can get on the snugg side and I have to sand the contacts down which is annoying.

There are many options out there. I am thinking of going to XT60's, but that is mostly because someone gave me a bag of them.... :mrgreen:
Most people at the track where I race have gone to XT90's.

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks Andy, i'm sure I'' have questions in the future.

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:04 pm

Plan b for charger? Can't seem to find an ac680 anywhere.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:31 am

The AC6 is nice for the money. There's lots of nice ones out there, I just would not bother with the traxxas one unless your intention is to buy only traxxas batteries.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:06 pm

Welcome aboard!

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:44 pm

RC51DUDE wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:06 pm
Welcome aboard!
Thanks! I can't wait till everything shows up. I spent a bunch getting back into this. I even found a few screwdrivers and items I somehow was able to keep for 20 years from when I last worked on an R.C. it's like having a second childhood, only I don't have my parents telling me "no"

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:31 pm

I've been away from the hobby for a few years myself, the biggest change has been in batteries and chargers, hopefully the current technology will stick around for a few years, having to constantly be updating your gear gets old pretty quickly.

Welcome aboard. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:48 am

Thanks, i have most everything and am ready to start assembly but need to make sure i have time to do it. I'm getting married in a few days and would prolly be single again if I started this project right now. I'm gonna wait a lil longer and then begin. I think it's the best option for now. It's killing me looking at a brand new box and i can't just jump right in and start.