Clod Rebuild (CPE Retro Chassis)

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
~New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.~
ChicagoBears1

Clod Rebuild (CPE Retro Chassis)

Post by ChicagoBears1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:26 am

Hello everyone. I came across this forum while researching what type of CPE chassis I purchased this past weekend. I bought a Clod (my first Clod by the way) on 1/5 and it came with a chassis from a company that I had only heard of for the first time within the past couple of weeks - CPE. I didn't find this chassis on their website so perhaps I didn't look in the right places or it is simply no longer there. They have awesome stuff by the way. I need another set of those mud slingers! Anyway, I've been more off than on over the years but have enjoyed RC in general for well over 20 for hobby grade and toy grade, as far back as I can remember. I hope to make my first Clod a special one.

I am documenting with pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 658412171/and will add as soon as I snap them from my phone. We like tracking our expenses so you'll see what I am buying and spending along the way.

For now I plan on cleaning up the axles very well and replacing a lot of screws. With decent tools on hand, what type of screw would you all recommend? This Clod's screws were mismatched, stripped, you name it! I cleaned the chassis with a brillo pad and dropped it off today to have powder coated in black. Are there any painters here? I'd love to do something special with the body but it may cost a fortune. I would like to have a Clod body painted like the Fall Guy's truck and a GMC grille. If there are chrome roll bars, those too. This paint job/body work is not something I'd want to attempt. I consider myself a novice at best so I may ask some questions along the way. Help and any suggestions welcome.
Last edited by ChicagoBears1 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Clod Rebuild (CPE Retro Chassis)

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Welcome!

I do believe there's a few of us here that do painting, hopefully someone will chime in.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Will love to see the finished project! I always liked the Fall Guy truck, it was really nicely done without being over the top.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

ChicagoBears1

Post by ChicagoBears1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 pm

I received notification today that the chassis will be ready this weekend. I can't wait to see the finished product and start piecing things together, ordering parts, etc.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:01 am

Looking forward to your build. What chassis did you order from CPE? Curious to see how this turns out as well. Be sure upload and post pictures here as well.
Jeff

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:12 pm

That's one of our Flashback chassis. It has since been replaced with our Timewarp retro chassis.
Brett Crawford - Owner
Crawford Performance Engineering
http://www.teamcpe.com

ChicagoBears1

Post by ChicagoBears1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:02 pm

I finally got the parts back from powder coating yesterday and they look absolutely amazing. I hope this embed works, else the picture is up on my Flickr page as well.

ImageI finally got these back on 3/2/2019. They look great! by ChicagoBears1, on Flickr

ChicagoBears1

Post by ChicagoBears1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 pm

I have ordered carbon fiber 4 link kit from Crawford (CPE-4L16CF: 16" Wheelbase Carbon Fiber 4-Link Kit). The links that came with the truck are fine but I wanted to continue the black theme as much as possible. I also ordered the Clod body for which I think I'll still need to buy the grill and not sure what else (CPE-CLODBODY: Stock Clodbuster Body with Chrome & Decals).

ChicagoBears1

Post by ChicagoBears1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:27 am

I received the carbon links from CPE on 3/18 and bought new screws at Ace last night. By the way these links are really nice. I went to put them on after work today and one of the old screws was completely messed up. I'm going to try and drill it out tomorrow but I also ordered new axle tubes today just in case. I may put the new set on even if I can save this one just so they're nice and shiny. I have already spent more money than I had anticipated but oh well, I like how it's coming along and that's what matters. Pictures on Flckr are updated.

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:12 pm

Any more pics? How did it turn out?