Newbie from UK with super clod buster.

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
~New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.~
Dom1981

Newbie from UK with super clod buster.

Post by Dom1981 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi Guys
Hope your all well?
Over Christmas decided to start nodding my super clod.
I found a good deal on 2 x brushless motors and ESC.
Fitted these this morning but as you can imagine on standard parts the car is extremely aggressive, it's flies.
What mods are next: suspensions, chassis, etc.
Any help appreciate on how to proceed with upgrades and where to buy.
Many thanks

Dom1981

Re: Newbie from UK with super clod buster.

Post by Dom1981 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:58 pm

Forgot to say also has Lipo upgrade.

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm

So you're saying you put a Lipo-powered brushless system into an otherwise stock Clod? You need to talk to Captain KAAABBBOOOOM! AKA Andymack LOL.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:20 am

First off welcome to the site. :)
Dom1981 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:38 pm

I found a good deal on 2 x brushless motors and ESC.

So are you running one motor per ESC aka two separate brushless systems? The way I read this is you got 2 motors and one ESC. :?:

For mods, curious if you upgraded too bearings through out when you assembled the kit? CPE or ebay are the places to check. CPE has a section listed here with a link to the website. Just pay attention to the front page as they are out of the office and shipments can be delayed.

For the upgrades, check out some of the build here. it may spark some ideas of what you want to do.
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:23 am

I'd say figure out what you want it to do exactly before just throwing parts and money at it. Race it? Bash around with it? What type of terrain will it be run on?

I'm very happy with the "super-stocker" clodbuster that I currently have built up. (still uses the stock chassis, but much is modified to get the most out of it) (mostly little tweaks, but they add up)

I liked my "T2" Termnator race-style clodbuster as well, but decided after many years of running both (as well as many others) that the super-stocker was the one for me.

Dom1981

Post by Dom1981 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks for replied.
Yes it's 2 x brushless and 2 esc with Lipo.
I know this wasn't ideal first mods but found good deal and wanted to install.
Ideally I want a race clod not for racing but for my own fun driving tarmac and fields.
Would you say chassis upgrades or suspension or both?
Any links you could recommend to purchase parts?
Many thanks

Dom1981

Post by Dom1981 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Andy

What's mods you done to make super stock?

Many thanks

Dom1981

Post by Dom1981 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Anyone locked rear steering?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 pm

I'll answer your private message here. :)

The entire build-up of my "super stocker" can be found here: https://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443
It's a VERY long read.... so set some time aside, and understand that as you read it... some mods were improved on or changed over the course of this.
So read it all before jumping into any of the modifications as some may not have worked out for me.

In regards to rear-steer, yes I locked mine out long ago. There are many ways to do it. I did it the cheap and easy way early on, but have since changed that a bit.

To answer you about parts, I fabricated much of what I used by hand, often re-using/re-purposing stock parts that would have otherwise been discarded.
I used a dremel tool extensively to trim the chassis to gain clearance for suspension and front steering servo.
I also used scrap plastics to make parts custom fit for my truck, a prime example being the front servo mount, as no one made one that I liked at the time.
You really need to have the ability to tinker and craft things with your hands to get the most out of the stock chassis.

Dom1981

Post by Dom1981 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Wow very impressed with your build.
I appreciate the full on hands on approach with nodding, fabricating etc. I'm very practical and been engineering for many years.
I'm gonna take my time. First lock the rear steering and replace shocks and see how it's handles.
One small step at a time.
Do you recommend any shocks to upgrade as I would like to purchase new ones?

Dom1981

Post by Dom1981 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Do any companies sell the rear steering lock out in kit form?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm

There are some lock-out kits out there, but I suggest making your own. Nothing against the makers, but I really don't care for most that I have seen, and I also like the idea of being able to set my rear toe-in, as it makes the truck more stable.

As for shocks, the traxxas ones are the easy way usually, but basically, any 4 inch long oil filled shock that is readily available for you will do. You will want a light spring and light oil, as there is not a lot of sprung weight on a clodbuster, since most of the weight is in the axles/wheel/tires. I would recommend, if possible, to re-use the stock shock bottom collar pieces and stock springs if your new shocks will accept them.

Dom1981

Post by Dom1981 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Been looking at locking the rear steering and starting this tomorrow. Looking through pictures people seem to have single shock not double.
For single conversion can you mount one in original position or angle the shock?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Dom1981 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm
Been looking at locking the rear steering and starting this tomorrow. Looking through pictures people seem to have single shock not double.
For single conversion can you mount one in original position or angle the shock?
This was the cheap and easy way I did it originally (the only thing you may not already have is a pivot ball)
The rear-steer lock-out is broken bits of old (stock) steering bell crank put in the hole upside down and using the same screw and brass spacer. I put one of the pivot balls from a broken CPE rod end into the clod rod end, and then ran the screw though the hole in the pivot ball. Very low-dollar, but very effective.

For the (four) shocks I used the "inner" positions. I later used the inner-most upper holes as well for some angle on the shocks.

Here I re-used the stock springs and lower shock cups. I did that as it made the shocks slightly longer, and allowed use of the stock ball stud, and also gave better clearance at the mounting point.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 pm

I eventually went to doing the rear-steer this way though: