General clod

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
~New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.~
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: General clod

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:44 am

Steve C wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:55 am
When all my new axle parts get here later next week I'll be tearing down both axles sets to put the new shafts and tubes and such on so I plan to pull all the gears out and check them out for wear/clean them. When I put them back together I'll have to pick up some sort of diff lube. What do you guys use for that on yours?
ceramic grease usually

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Would the stuff that you can use for bikes and such be be the same ceramic grease Andy? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finish-Line-Ce ... 4620f68c47 or is the ceramic grease that Tower and other places sell different than this stuff?
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:14 am

I used white lithium. The only time I had wear in my clod gears was when the aluminum/pot metal stock pinion wore out and ate the spur gear, other than that, I never had wear problems, and I was less than attentive when it came to general maintenance. BTW, I never changed the worn spur, it ran a little noisy, other than that, no issues. Definitely use a good aftermarket pinion gear and toss the stock one in the trash where it belongs.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Steve C wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:51 pm
Would the stuff that you can use for bikes and such be be the same ceramic grease Andy? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finish-Line-Ce ... 4620f68c47 or is the ceramic grease that Tower and other places sell different than this stuff?

I have no idea, and I may even be confusing ceramic with lithium grease.
I usually use the stuff tamiya puts in the kits, whatever that is.

As for pinion gears, get the ones from robinson racing, they mesh the best.
(13T 32P)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 am

Any thoughts on this servo here? transit speed is good at .14 and torque says 30kg. That is over 1000 oz if I'm correct which seems ridiculously high? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstartm ... c-66g.html

EDIT- reading the reviews of it right now and some of the reviews don't sound all that great.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 am

Couple more questions.

What are you guys using for foam inserts in your tires? Looks like its not easy to find ones actually made for clod tires these days. Are you guys just buying foam from fabric stores and cutting strips yourselves for inserts?

Also what is a nice lipo charger you would suggest? My family always gets me a few really nice Christmas gifts so I think I'll go ahead and let them get a charger for me. So what would be a good one to get?

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:04 am

I never used foam, never saw a need for it, plus, for the kind of bashing and wet environments I played in, foams would have been a real downer. The only reason to run foams is if you're a racer and need stiffer tires, otherwise, you don't need 'em. For general bashing and crawling, you want tire deformation to help grip and grab the environment for traction.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:51 pm

In something that heavy though, maybe (foams), but I'd get it build first and see.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:47 am

Think I decided on the charger I will get. Talked to a few guys that really seem to like the Venom Pro Duo which charges two packs at once so think I may end up going with that one.

I've always ran foam inserts in the past just because I always liked the way it made cornering better with less sway to the truck from too much tire compression. So it's kind of what I was always use to so that's why I was planning on doing it again.
The truck honestly is not anywhere near as heavy as you would think it would be Andy. The chassis is pretty much done now and the completed tube chassis with all the brackets and diamond plate floor and mounts and such is pretty much exactly 2 lbs. So by the time you factor in less weight from using a lexan body as compared to the heavier stock clod plastic body and some other weight savings like tire shaving, lighter shocks, and a few other lighter items I don't think this truck will be any heavier than a stock clod most likely.

Starting to look at motors and ESC's now.
Looking hard at these motor/esc's from CPE. Anyone here run these motor/esc combos? http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=557

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:09 pm

After doing some more reading last night on brushless I think I may lean towards the 4600 rather than the 5700 motors. From what I am reading it sounds like the 4600 will be plenty usable power. This ESC is the one I'm now looking at as well, seems to be a step up from the sidewinder perhaps? http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba ... -0066-00-5

cab4word67

Post by cab4word67 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:13 am

Steve C wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:26 am
Know what, I'm just gonna start this post here because finally being back into this after 15 yrs I have a ton of questions, so rather than spread them out over the site liek my latest shock question and subarban body question, lets just round all my questions up here.

Current question. What is a good steering servo? I remember back in the day it was a MG (605??) can't remember the number. Whats a good one these days?

More questions to follow for sure ;)
Im back in too after 30 years and turned mine into a crawler. I am using the Fan Model 20 from Amazon and it works so well i installed one on the rear too.
Livin, lovein Clods

cab4word67

Post by cab4word67 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 pm

shadowfocus603 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:37 am
I'm fond of the 20 and 25kg servos you can get on ebay for around $16-$22. The 25kg translates to 347oz/in.. I'd think that would work a clod's steering quite nicely, especially with dual axle mounts.
yes I have FAN 20s on front and rear with tierods mounted on the back sides. Turns quick