1/24 scale axles

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
~New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.~
Bigjeepzz
Approved Member

1/24 scale axles

Post by Bigjeepzz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:56 am

I figured i would share something with you guys I have been working on for a while.

About three years ago, I was desperately trying to builda 1/24 4wd RC truck. There was a Toys-R-Us truck that many used becuase it had front and rear solid axles which fit really well under the 1/24 models. At the time the $10 were being sold in the RC community for about $100.00 because the manufacturer discontinued them.

I decided to tackle a huge project and machined my own set of axles out of aluminum. I was able to get the rear done, and most of the front. The project stalled when it come to ujoints for the fron axle. I tried several times to make a set of ujoints small enough to fit between the spindles and the axles housing and failed miserably. I still have the axles and one day I will finally get around to finishing them.

I machined everything including the wheels, brass bushings, axle shaft, etc. I bought a set of gears from a slot car which worked out great. The brass ujoint is from a train set. The front axles housing is completed, I just need to make those dang ujoints.

The rear still needs the spring perches milled and the wheels still need to be finished. I ended up machining three different rear axles to get one I was happy with.

I figured you guys would appreciate seeing these.

Jake

vonclod
Approved Member

Re: 1/24 scale axles

Post by vonclod » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 am

pretty cool stuff man nice work 8)
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:22 pm

So does that mean your the to go to man if we need something milled. :D
Last edited by charliechristmas58 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Nice work , interested to see what you will do with the clod :D

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:01 pm

That's awesome stiff. Sooooo question!!!! I have a few rc's I'd like some parts made in aluminum instead of the stock plastic. Is that something you'd do on the side? It'll be farther down the road but just curious. 8)
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Bigjeepzz
Approved Member

Post by Bigjeepzz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 pm

I have done quite a bit of machine work for the guys over at RC10talk. I am not expert but I have made some pretty nice parts in the past for the RC10. I have plans to make several parts for a clod.

Jake