New guy from MT / Vintage Clod build

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
~New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.~
mikeinmissoula
Approved Member

New guy from MT / Vintage Clod build

Post by mikeinmissoula »

Good afternoon. I just scored a sealed Clod Buster kit off E-Bay. It was my very first real R/C from back in the day. I can't remember if my kit was the Chevy kit or not from when I was a kid. I'm excited this get this kit and build it. My Dad built mine back in the day. I'm trying to go full vintage on this. I remember having a Futaba stick receiver. I can't recall which one. Any of you remember which ones were out back then that worked with the Clod? Conquest and Attack sort of ring a bell. Who made 15 minute chargers back then? I'm assuming Tamiya still make the red paint from the manual? Any help you guys/girls could be, would be awesome!

Mike

Steve C
Approved Member

Re: New guy from MT / Vintage Clod build

Post by Steve C »

Attack was the two stick I use to use back when I had my first clod many many years ago. The 15 minute dial charger I use to have back then was made by Dynamite if I remember correctly, but I think there were a lot of other brands that made them as well.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

mikeinmissoula
Approved Member

Post by mikeinmissoula »

Awesome! Thank you.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon »

Nice score and much enjoyment will ensue with the build and running :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As much as you want the true vintage feel, i think you may well want to look at a waterproof modern ESC and lipo battery packs - even NiMH are such a disappointment these days, i doubt you can buy new NiCads ~? Even a move to 2.4 radio gear and a good steering servo would make life much easier for a happy running experience.

mikeinmissoula
Approved Member

Post by mikeinmissoula »

What brand motors could I go brushless with?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Honestly, Just a simple electronic speed control upgrade and a 3S (3-cell) lipo battery will make the stock motors fly (compared to bone-stock retro). Do a modern radio and see how you like that first.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar »

I agree with the others, a full on stock, retro clod would be fun for about 30 seconds, then exceedingly boring! It's only value would be as a shelf queen, even then you'd be about the only one that values it. This is not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poop on your parade. The thing is, if you're gonna run it, mods are the only way that you're gonna make it any fun to run. I kept my trucks basically stock, only massaging here and there to improve things on a budget. They were better, but still extremely limited in what they could do and where they would go. I had a ton of fun with them though! :thumbsup:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

mikeinmissoula
Approved Member

Post by mikeinmissoula »

What are the best upgrades to do to a Clod Buster these days?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

mikeinmissoula wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:58 pm
What are the best upgrades to do to a Clod Buster these days?
I thought you wanted to go full-vintage?

As for upgrades, you need to give us an idea of how "far" you want to take things.
Just start running it (stock) and see what you feel needs improvement, and we'll offer suggestions.

mikeinmissoula
Approved Member

Post by mikeinmissoula »

Still deciding on what to do. The kit is factory sealed. Having a hard time opening it lol.