New UK member and Super Clod owner

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
~New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.~
Bromley

New UK member and Super Clod owner

Post by Bromley » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi Folks, I've just registered with the forum as I have picked myself up a new SCB.
I have been a long time Tamiya fan, but only recently got the urge to build a Clod.
Some of my mates had RC cars when I was a kid. My parents couldn't afford to buy me such expensive toys so I saved my pocket money up and bought a second hand Hornet when I was 11. The one I really wanted was the Lunch Box. I had to wait until I was 41 for that particular dream to come true :) Still one of my favourites.
Then I got into racing RC about a year, maybe 18 months ago. This is something I wish I'd done years ago, but my old job dictated otherwise. New job new life. I raced Tamiya Euro Trucks(TT-01E) last season and now Stock Touring cars (TT-02).
Shortly after the Lunch Box purchase I then started collecting and building various other Tamiya RCs, Blitzer Beetle, DT-03 Racing Fighter, CC-01 Defender 90, TT-02 Lancia Delta......etc etc.
Then...I needed something a little more challenging to build so I did some research and chose the TXT-2 Agrios. Which like many others have done, I built to resemble Bigfoot #18. This thing really got me interested in the whole monster truck scene. It's not that big an affair in the UK. Even being an 80s kid, I was only mildly aware of these giant trucks. Bigfoot and Grave digger were about the only ones I new by name.
I do however remember seeing a kid on holiday with a Clod Buster in about 1988, I would have been 11 or 12. I had seen the Clod in the RC mags of the day. I used to get these second hand of a mate. Anyway.... this kid was running this thing all over the campsite we were staying on. I was hugely impressed, but also remember how slow it seemed. Well that was all them years ago and now, It still looks cool, has that snazzy four wheel steering and we now have LIPO POWER.....YES!
So...Build it stock...ish, throw some 3s at the silver cans and have a ball. That's the plan anyhow.

So far I have bearings, Alturn Ultra High Torque servo, Lights, 8 Absima 110mm shocks, some Black Rit dye(for the blue bits) and some alloy anti rotation brackets. I just need to get a Hobbywing 880 ESC(so I can run 3s). I am also waiting on 2 steel 13t pinions from CPE, although there seems to be an issue with postage!
That's about where I'm at. The build won't start until I have all of the bits in hand.(I like it that way) No annoying hold ups then to hinder progress.

I will probably be asking plenty of questions along the way and looking to your builds for more ideas.

Have a great day Guys..

Bromley.

Steve C
Approved Member

Re: New UK member and Super Clod owner

Post by Steve C » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Welcome aboard. I was kind of the same start myself.. When I was a kid in the 80's I wanted an RC10 but because of cost I ended up starting with a Hornet as well. Then went to a Fox then finally an RC10 and Clod. Once you get all the parts post up some pics of your build.

Steve
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Bromley

Post by Bromley » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks Steve, I will try to get some pics up at the builds pivotal stages. I guess you have to use an image hosting site to post pics? Or can you paste pics into a post?
I can report that I have been in touch with CPE. The shipping is all sorted. Pinions are on the way! Should be building in a week or two :evil:

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 am

Welcome

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:17 am

Bromley wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm
Thanks Steve, I will try to get some pics up at the builds pivotal stages. I guess you have to use an image hosting site to post pics? Or can you paste pics into a post?
I can report that I have been in touch with CPE. The shipping is all sorted. Pinions are on the way! Should be building in a week or two :evil:
I'm not sure if you can load them to the site without hosting or not. I have a membership to Imageshack so I always host mine there then paste them onto the site that way.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:18 am

Although it's recommend you use an external image hosting site due to storage space concerns on the server, You can directly upload images to posts as long as they're under 3mb each.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 am

Welcome mate! I'm in Aus and Amain Hobbies is my go to for stuff like pinions etc. Cheap postage. CPE can be hit and miss. I gave him the flick years ago, just too unreliable.

Needs pics of you TXT-2!

ad456m

Post by ad456m » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:27 am

Hi,
Try modelsport uk for the pinions. I use them for a lot of stuff. They usually have Robinson racing steel ones in stock.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Welcome to the site! Lots of great info and people here to help out with your build.

I always recommend a reasonably stock build to start with so that you can learn how the truck is built and the weaknesses it has, both in structure and in ability. Bearings in the axles is a good thing if you're going for speed, but as a basher, especially if it will ever see water, the plastic bushings are the better route. Bearings will need to be cleaned and maintained if you run in dirt/water much, IMHO, it's a bit of a pain to have to break down axles very often. Another thing is oil shocks, while nice, they also require quite a bit of fiddling to get set up properly, and have to be maintained. You can achieve good suspension travel with the stockers and still get good dampening by adjusting the breather hole size or quantity in the rims.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Bromley

Post by Bromley » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Thanks for the advice on pinions, but I have those covered now. I started building today. Dyed the blue bits black and built up both axles. Servo is in with rods attached. Ball ends fitted to tub.
Halgar thanks for the tips and recommendations. I have gone with bearings throughout as they are cheap and dont start eating away the shafts after a while.
I will use the Absima shocks as they look a little nicer and with some extra holes drilled in the pistons and some 350 weight oil should work out ok. I'll probably fit all 8 dampers but only use 4 springs and see how that works out.
I will try and get some pics up at some point and do a brief account of the build.

Bromley

Post by Bromley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Here's my TXT-2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bromley

Post by Bromley » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:14 pm

This is the Clod that inspired me to get one myself...Is it a Clodtalk members truck?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.