New to the world of Clods, looking to build a modclod as my first project, what chassis should I go for? (I'm UK based)

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Riddy

New to the world of Clods, looking to build a modclod as my first project, what chassis should I go for? (I'm UK based)

Post by Riddy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Hey folks just joined here :) just looking for any help at all, I'm looking to build a modclod in the coming months, unsure where to start chassis wise, I had settled on an Absolute Chaos chassis, but sadly that does not seem possible, as they are out of stock of everything apart from the chassis, no sway bars etc. So looking for general advice folks :)

Thanks in advance !

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: New to the world of Clods, looking to build a modclod as my first project, what chassis should I go for? (I'm UK bas

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Welcome!
Before picking chassis, mods and such, we need to know what you want the truck to do?
(racer?... backyard basher?.... rock crawler?)

Also, what is your level of mechanical ability?

Riddy

Re: New to the world of Clods, looking to build a modclod as my first project, what chassis should I go for? (I'm UK bas

Post by Riddy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:42 pm

Probably a mix of racing and a little bashing, not really into rock crawling at this stage, i spent quite a few months looking through several builds, and finally came across the Trigger Kings and their racing youtube vids, and pretty much set my mind on emulating this particular truck http://triggerkingrc.com/bigfoot-cruiser-sport-mod/ mainly because it does everything I want, and im a massive Bigfoot fan. I would say although this would be my first RC project, my mechanical ability is fairly good !

Overall, i want my modclod to look as much like as actual monster truck as possible, and be fast enough to race and have fun with.

The main issues im really having is, as i said im in the UK which can make getting parts somewhat difficult but im not against importing from the US or the rest of Europe, but after eventually settling on a chassis http://triggerkingrc.com/absolute-chaos-rc-acrc/ that most of the additional parts to go along with the chassis are out of stock, with no date for restocking.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm

There are some UK members on here, perhaps some of them will offer some suggestions on what is easiest to get shipped to you.

Have you read my super-stocker thread? I used a lot of the stock parts, plus some common traxxas parts, and some hand made parts using simple tools. It's not the fastest, but it scoots along and the handling is much better than stock. I really want to get the traxxas bigfoot body for it like the truck posted on our home page.

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Hearing from other UK based folk would be ideal to be honest, I will have a look for your super stocker thread and have a read, shell wise im aiming for this one https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/body-paint/ ... uck-body-p !

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:47 pm

That shell is probably what I'm going to put on mine, as I don't want to spend the money on the traxxas one (even though is looks better) because I know it would get all scuffed up.

Here's my super-stocker build.... it's a long drawn out work in progress, but I'm happy with the results. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443&start=300

I also had a custom CPE Terminator build for quite a while. That one was pretty fast. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28235&start=405

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Yeah agreed, ive actually got that particaular Traxxas Bigfoot body from the frontpage, mine is a somewhat lighter shade of blue, but agreed its far too nice and expensive to risk scuffing it etc, I like the super stocker quite a bit but was aiming for something a little faster and perhaps a longer wheelbase, i very much like the CPE Terminator build you linked, thats exactly the kind of truck im aiming for, I did look at the CPE Terminator as an option as well as the CPE Phoenix http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... ts_id=1009 but sadly yet again, both are out of stock :(

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:53 am

Have you considered making your own chassis? For my terminator build I only bought the center section, and built the rest using various parts to get the design I was going for. Being as it's just a twin vertical plate design for most of the chassis' out there, I would think you could come up with something of your own by emulating a chassis that you like. That will help you deal with the "out of stock" part of your problem.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 am

Hi and welcome! On my computer it shows a few CPE terminator chassis in stock, not sure if thats the ones you might be after/want?

There's also a few other companies that offer race style chassis, but they dont advertise on here so I will not mention them.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:47 pm

NorthernNightmare wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 am

There's also a few other companies that offer race style chassis, but they dont advertise on here so I will not mention them.
You can mention them.
Main thing is what's available to him in the UK.

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks for all the help so far guys, as far as the CPE terminator I'm liking here for it? http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=827 at the bottom of the page I'm it says out of stock for me, unless there's another site to get it?

I like the idea of building my own chassis but I don't want to over stretch and go out of my depth, and end up not being able to build it.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 pm

They show this swb alloy unit in stock http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... ts_id=1038

And the carbon center chassi on it own if you want to build a long wheel base project http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=548

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Yeah it would definitely be a longer wheel base project, only really heisitant due to not having much experience building from literally just the center chassis and nothing else. Is it massively difficult to get sway bars and everything else to go along with just a chassis part?

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 am

I understand your concern as Im international too, hmm maybe you could build off the axial Smt-10 slider off ebay, they sell crazy cheap some times and have the lwb and sway bar your after.

Sometimes they have even come with the shocks that are not bad, would save you a tone of time?

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33 am

I had thought of the axial smt-10, its my backup plan, if getting a modclod chassis ends up impossible, first hurdle ive got to is, im having a great deal of problems even getting replies from these companies, Absolute Chaos last replied on thursday and the CPM guys havent replied at all when I asked if the whole Terminator package would be back in stock. Kinda disheartening to be honest.

A time frame is not that big a deal, Im fine taking my time getting everything bought, delivered and built etc I realise its a timeframe of many months most likely, but I'd really just like some movement on finding the chassis and maybe some replies about stock :lol: