Best Bang for Buck Clod ESC

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
matt1ptkn

Best Bang for Buck Clod ESC

Post by matt1ptkn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Hello, newbie to the forum, here. I have an extensive Clod and monster truck background, but I am looking for ESC advice so that I don't waste money or any vintage electronics. I am looking to convert my Clod back to a brushed setup so that I can free up two more brushless ESCs and motors for other vehicles. I have a set of the Kyosho Mega Motors - 360 Monster Truck motors that I want to put back into it. So, what ESC to use has been plaguing my mind. Any input is greatly appreciated. My options:

1. I have a vintage Novak Rooster Reversible. (Not a Super Rooster.) Rated at 320A. However, the manual indicates that it is not recommended for dual motor set ups. :|
2. I have a Traxxas XL-5.
3. Generic Asian ESC configured for dual brushed motors and single battery. Available on ebay for $15. Rated at 320A.
4. Hobbywing Quicrun WP 860 on ebay for $32. This one is configured for dual brushed motors and a single battery. Rated at 360A.
5. Traxxas EVX-2.

I had planned to use the Novak, but I don't want to injure my vintage electronics if the dual motors is too much. The XL-5 is only rated at 100A. The generic asian is cheap, but is it really worth buying when compared to the Novak or XL-5 that I already have? Same with the Hobbywing. I know the EVX-2 would be nice, but is it really worth the cost for what I want to do? I'm not racing this Clod, or at least, not aggressively. And I am not looking for a speed truck either, or I'd just leave the brushless systems in it. I want something moderately fast and controllable for bashing mostly. What do you, the experts, think?
Attachments
Hobbywing ESC.jpg
Hobbywing Quicrun WP 860
Hobbywing ESC.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Asian ESC.jpg
Asian ESC
Asian ESC.jpg (67.25 KiB) Viewed 901 times
-Matt

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: Best Bang for Buck Clod ESC

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Quicrun 860

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 pm

Quicrun for an economic option, EVX-2 if you can find one at reasonable price

The generic Chinese items are hit n miss in quality, and their 320A rating is probably the sum of the electronic components rather than its true assembled capability.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am

I would go the Quicrun, but if you can solder you could make a dual motor harness for your XL5.

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks for the replies! I didn't expect a unanimous for the Hobbywing, but there you go. I was hoping everyone would say use the Rooster :lol: . I don't know why, maybe its the size of the Rooster, but I just really wanted to use it in my Clod. Anyway, soldering is no problem, but I actually still have my harness from BITD when I ran whatever cheap ESC I could. They never usually lasted as long as I thought they should. :roll: Maybe because they were cheap and not rated for dual motors. Which is what led me to ask the question now. Better late than never. =D>
-Matt

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm

If that XL-5 is the lipo-ready variety, and your plan is to run a single 2-cell lipo, I'd do that.
The XL-5 is a very underrated esc.

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks! I'm thinking now that I will try the XL-5 out first, before purchasing another ESC. Sounds like people have great success with it. As for batteries, I'll either run a single 2s or maybe a pair of 6 cell NiMhs in parallel, for run time. I just refreshed my motors last night, so I'm a step closer!
-Matt

matt1ptkn

Re: Best Bang for Buck Clod ESC/My Clodzilla II

Post by matt1ptkn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:15 pm

So I've been itchin to work on my Clod, but life has a funny way of not letting me do what I want, when I want. I'm sure many can agree. I did make some small progress the other day and just wanted to post some photos for attention. :mrgreen: This isn't going to be a build thread since the rig is already built, but I like taking photos of my projects. Anyway, I'm working with my original '88 Clod axles with full bearings. Nothing else has changed with those. The rest of the truck got morphed back into a stock clod that became my brother's, but is now in my possession. 8) My clod currently has a Clodzilla II chassis, homemade 4 link that was a copy of the early ESP set, ESP cantilever shock mounts (because I thought they looked cool) and some ESP? wideners. The servo mounts were also a homemade copy of a photo on the internet from a decade or so ago. The current electronics are a pair of Venom 80A ESCs and 4200? KV motors. The set up works great, I just want to transfer the brushless systems somewhere else. I also just recently figured out, and tried out, the steering mix on my radio. What a cool feature that is! Now I can crab walk the clod with the flip of a switch. :lol: I've always wanted to be able to do that. I found my brushed motor harness and will be re-using it again, and yes those are vintage Race Prep connectors. And yes, I still use them on all my RCs. #-o However, the motors will be direct soldered this time.
Attachments
Clod Clodzilla II.jpg
Clod Clodzilla II.jpg (180.85 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Clod ESCs.jpg
Clod ESCs.jpg (167.44 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Clod XL-5.jpg
Clod XL-5.jpg (204.59 KiB) Viewed 856 times
-Matt

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

So I got the XL-5 and motors installed over the weekend. Everything works smoothly and there is a lot more room on the radio tray now. However, TBH, on 2S I was expecting a little more speed. It doesn't feel much faster than my stock clod with MSC. :!: :?: The XL-5 is only rated to a 2S, so if I want more speed with the brushed motors, is my next best option now to get that hobbywing ESC? Or I suppose I could always change pinions. I'm still running stock gearing.
-Matt

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:55 am

That esc will likely take 3S just fine, it's a very underrated esc. With stock motors I've actually run one of those on 4S (2S x2 in series).
Those motors may not take it though. Mod motors run like scalded dogs on 3S.... and then they burn-out after a few runs.
That XL-5 does not have lipo cut-off, and even if it did it would not cut-off with a 3-cell, so you will need a lipo alarm if you try this.
(some of us are good at spotting if a lipo is low, but it's a risk you take, and yes I have indeed done that many times)

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback! It does actually have low voltage cutoff for 2S. Red LED = NiMh/no low voltage protection, Green LED = Low voltage protection. Or vice versa. I have a memory like a goldfish. :roll: Anyway, now I've got more thinking to do and/or $ saving. :lol:
-Matt

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:40 pm

So at our local RC swap meet this past weekend, I was able to dig through several boxes of people's "junk" and find several treasures. Amongst the prizes, I obtained one of the cheapo Asian ESCs I inquired about in my original post as well as a Super Rooster!! I also got an Axial AE-5 ESC but I don't know about using that in a clod? The seller's told me that they all work, but I haven't yet tested any of them. I went from no ESCs to too many ESCs. 8) I may end up putting one of these in my stock clod once the MSC wears out and the truck runs off, but till that happens, its a fun gamble. I love the reactions I get when I tell people it still has an MSC.
Anyway, I have another electrical question now. If I wanted to try 3s on a capable ESC, can I simply harness a 2s and a 1s together like in the old days with NiCd/NiMh? I'm interested to see the difference between 2s and 3s but I don't want to buy a 3s if its not really going to meet my expectations. Plus, I lost most of my money at the swap meet. :oops:
Here's a pic of the mostly stock clod for attention. :mrgreen: The only mods are full bearings, RAM body, ESP lift kit and chassis brace and Trinity shocks.
Attachments
Stock Clod.jpg
Stock Clod.jpg (202.31 KiB) Viewed 699 times
-Matt

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Not sure on the 2+1 wiring but that does sound right.

Having said that, with stock motors it is night and day the improvement 3S makes over 2S.
That's basically all I run in my clods these days (3S).

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:27 pm

I just may end up buying a 3s. We'll see. I still need to try out all the ESCs and see which one, if any, works best.

Anyone have experience with the Axial AE-5 ESC? I hooked it up last night just to test it and I get no motor power. Receiver and servo function normally. It is a used ESC, so its hard to tell if its good or bad, but it looks like it was never used. Maybe this is why. :lol: It was missing one of the bypass plugs for the Drag Brake/battery selector. I used a bind plug as a substitute. Could this be the cause?
-Matt

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Possibly.

I have that esc in my SCX10 and I'm happy with it, but that's all I've used it in.

I will say that I put a 3S battery in my SCX10 one time, and while it worked okay I did notice it heated up a bit during this time. I don't know how hot it got, just that I noticed it was warmer than it usually is running a 2S pack. So given the fact that I was running a single 27t motor for that.... running a pair of them in a clod might be too much... but really only one way to find out.