Three Speed Stoplight Racer

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
LAV25

Three Speed Stoplight Racer

Post by LAV25 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:13 am

Built this last year, so it's done-ish. In lieu of a full build thread, a quick summary thread:

I got a used Clod for parts for my crawler, then later built an MRAP from a King Hauler, but didn't really love it. Started looking at those narrow semi axles, three speed transmission, and that Chevy pickup body and scratching my head.

Mockup:

Body resting on the mess:

The rears just tuck into the body. Perfect!

At first, I thought that everything would work well with aluminum rails, did some preliminary CAD work in Sketchup to get a feel for things:

Later I changed my mind on the rails and went the 3D printed route with a chassis of my own design:

And yes, those are two batteries back there, because it runs a 550 motor:

Right, let's keep the loading times down, shall we?
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

LAV25

Re: Three Speed Stoplight Racer

Post by LAV25 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:27 am

Chassis 1.1 arrived from Shapeways. GIGO, I made some mistakes on it, but it was a good proof of concept for me:

Since this is supposed to be an 80s muscle truck, I had some slapper bars printed also:

Don't know if they're needed, but they look the part.

The Tamiya semi wheels weren't doing it for me. For one, they were slightly too wide as duallies, and slightly too narrow as 30mm wide singles. Now, current controversy aside, I loved the Dukes of Hazzard when I was growing up, and I thought the wheels on that car were just the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

So I got out my ruler, my dollar-store micrometer, and Sketchup:

Those deep dish rears are based on the idea of cutting one sidewall each off of two Tamiya 30mm wide semi tires, and then gluing them together to form a single wide tire, similar to an N50-15:

There are possibly people out there who could do the cutting and gluing evenly enough to operate at speed, but it seems that I'm not one of them, so I had to adjust and have new rears printed for single 30mm tires. Offset is the key, the truck uses a Tamiya semi rear axle with no wideners, just printed wheels with the offset built in.

The first chassis had some issues, and I discovered that the stock Tamiya semi front axle was going to be too wide, so I made some adjustments, also had a modified front axle printed that was 10mm narrower than stock and designed to run the leafs under the axle, rather than on top. Since I was already ordering for international shipping, I had a steering and shift servo plate made as well:

Let's hit post again, shall we?
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:38 am

I am blown away by your work! Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Love the wheels! I wish I would have done that for my General Lee build.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29082&start=45
Jeff

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:42 am

Forgot to mention it, but the wheels are 1.7 inch, for stock Tamiya semi tires and RC4WD aftermarkets. Raw white wheels:

Painted, with tires mounted. The tires are the now-discontinued RC4WD 1.7 Low-Riders:

Everything mounted up on chassis V2. The rear battery is higher than the front because otherwise it rubs on the back tire, which was one of the reasons I had to do the V2 chassis. Of course, I ended up going with a 4s LiPo, but that's another matter entirely.

Bodywork. Clod body, pretty much stock, but I got a blank grill from a company in Germany (can't remember who offhand, PM me if you really need to know) and a chromed blower and intake manifold from RPP:

Also, since it's running a Johnson 550 (same thing as the Titans that the E-Maxx uses), I thought it would be best to be appropriately badged. More Sketchup, more Shapeways:

Painted the chassis red, and the three speed gearcase red and silver. Not that that will show very often, but it just seems right to do as much as you can to make it look good:

Body all mounted up. The exhausts are aluminum tube from the hardware store, the shields are from the King Hauler, and the tonneau cover is from Dinky RC out of Hong Kong. Screwed up trimming it a little, but it'll do for now:

The body is held on by allthread that fits into donut-shaped rare earth magnets, so you can pick the truck up (carefully) by the body, but when you slam it into a wall, the body pops free.

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:48 am

So that's that.

Well, not quite. Remember how I said it had a Johnson 550 running on 4s, with a three speed? First time I took it out, I put it into first on pavement and floored it, because that's what you do with a stoplight racer.

It spit out parts of driveshaft. Axial plastic ones, broke the yoke.

Seems like I need to invest in some RC4WD Punishers. Then I took it to the track, which is where the local touring car guys race. Lots of curves and corners, and this is an 80s American made pickup truck with leaf springs and a blower.

And a two-stick controller, since I need a third channel to shift with.

Things did not go well.

I'm going to install oil-filled dampers on the front, and the track has also been changed to an oval, with curvy bits inside for those who like that sort of thing, but for not, it's on the shelf. Got some vacation time coming up, I may report back soon.

Thanks for reading.

-val

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:51 am

8)
Thanks again for posting this up! That was fun! Cool truck!
Jeff

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:52 am

SFC K wrote:I am blown away by your work! Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Love the wheels! I wish I would have done that for my General Lee build.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29082&start=45
Glad you like it, but the dirty little secret is that so far, it doesn't work very well. Still, I enjoy the challenge of the build more than the running of the truck at times, so it's all good.

But that's why I'm here. I want to just get that Clod running with a minimum of hassle and go to the park, doggonit!