Got another Clod

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
mrgrimm
Approved Member

Got another Clod

Post by mrgrimm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:27 am

Well I haven't been around here much over the past couple years after selling all my Clods and most of my RC's. I have been getting back into RC over the past year though and decided it was time to bring in another Clod! I am sitting here staring at a red plastic blast from the past that I did some trading for over on RCtech.

It just arrived today, so naturally tonight I went ahead and pulled out all the MSC stuff, replaced a few missing/mismatched screws, and started sanding the body. Plans are to not go overboard ( a bad habit of mine) with this one but focus on drivetrain strength while keeping a stock appearance.

I was thinking about locking front and rear, adding bearings, 2.4 ghz system, decent metal gear waterproof steering servo, 35 turn motors, EVX-2 and 2s or 3s lipo, oil filled shocks, adjustable motor mounts, Super Clod chassis braces, and start researching about stronger axles/gears.

Not looking for a ton of speed but want it to be a stump puller!

Pics coming soon...
Monster trucks rule :)

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Got another Clod

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:39 am

So are you going to make an actual puller out of it?
Or just want to be able to like pull kids around in a wagon or something?

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:56 am

Just a fun truck, yep my kids in a wagon and maybe even the sled if I get it going good enough this winter! I really need a sweet trailer to stack bricks and other heavy stuff on though.

I just finished up a Bullhead bodied Axial 6x6 with twin 45T motors and I am just really liking the slower/torque-e'er (haha) locked diffs in the hard body, old school looking trucks. Also keeps them from busting themselves to high-speed pieces :)

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:52 am

So I went ahead and got the truck running tonight with what I had laying around...I kept the stock 540's in there and wired up a wp1040 esc and threw in a traxxas TQ 27 mhz with mini Rx. Still has some ancient Futaba steering servo and after getting the links adjusted right and screws tightened down it steers just fine for now.

First I tried a 5000 2s lipo and it was actually pretty good, but considering this esc can handle 3s I figured why not, so tossed in a 3000 3s and oh man back to high speed horror again! I managed to only roll it over once - not bad considering it's the middle of the night here on concrete with a bone stock Clod zipping around on 3s. I am starting to reconsider the original plans and may just stick with what is simple/cheap/works/fun!

Everything stayed cool except that dang rear motor. I didn't have my temp gun with me but I figure it was around 170F after about 10 minutes and most likely would continue to get hotter until the 20 minute meltdown. It's only about 40F out tonight.

I figured a vid wasn't worth it tonight, all you could see was big blue sparks going up and down the street! Since I'm off work tomorrow I'll try and get some pics and a vid.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:04 am

That's odd, I've run 3S with stock motors a LOT and had zero issue's... I even run them on 4S sometimes, but that shortens the lifespan a lot....

Are you running stock (13t pinion) gearing?
And did you put the lockers in or still stock tamiya gears?

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:52 pm

I haven't even taken the motor covers off yet. I should probably do that to check the pinion gears though before I run too much - if I remember correctly they are aluminum and wear down and get all thin. Diffs are still open, I'm going to run it later today and see what the actual temp difference is between motors.

Yeah I'll bet 4s kills em pretty quickly!

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:34 pm

SO I must have been delusional last night because I just ran the truck for a solid 15 minutes and the motor temps were fine, hottest was 85F. ESC was only like 65F, so I'll just stick with 3s!

The battery mount is temporary, I don't have the removable door and these little 1500mah 3s packs won't fit in there right anyways so until I figure something better out this is it. I just run a parallel connector to get 3000mah out of them...

Here are some pics...

ImageDSC07560 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07559 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07561 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07564 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07562 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07563 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:37 pm

[youtube]NT4Rn_vovv4[/youtube]

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:25 pm

LOL, easy on the breaks! Looks really fast and a good thing you have not painted that body yet. :mrgreen:
Jeff

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:28 am

Ha ha yeah I need to look Into the settings on this esc to see if I can turn them down a bit

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:58 am

Cleaned up the old beast tonight while making a few repairs...looks a little better now I think lol!

ImageDSC07568 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07569 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

DarkSammy
Approved Member

Post by DarkSammy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:58 am

Loving the silver shocks on the matt black body, looks tough! Have you thought about painting the rims as well? There is nothing tougher than black on black ;-)
TTR Centurion LTD, TTR Tremor, TTR Ripper Pro, Gorillamaxx G4, Gorillamaxx G1, Centralemaxx Ph@ntom, DUH Engineering Titan.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:36 pm

I was thinking about it, but I already glued these tires to the rims and didn't feel like taping them all off last night !!!

DarkSammy
Approved Member

Post by DarkSammy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 am

Fair eough too haha
TTR Centurion LTD, TTR Tremor, TTR Ripper Pro, Gorillamaxx G4, Gorillamaxx G1, Centralemaxx Ph@ntom, DUH Engineering Titan.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:33 am

I like the black with the white wheels. :thumbsup: