custom clodbuster chassis

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
clodbuster89
Approved Member

custom clodbuster chassis

Post by clodbuster89 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 am

Well its been a while since I've posted or done anything with my rc stuff. I decided to build another clod because I missed the one I used to have and it's going to have a custom chassis as well. Here's some pics of my progress
Attachments
20140719_194811.jpg
20140719_194811.jpg (143 KiB) Viewed 983 times
20140719_194800.jpg
20140719_194800.jpg (136.96 KiB) Viewed 983 times
20140719_194753.jpg
20140719_194753.jpg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 983 times
put off today what you can do tommorow

SFC K
Administrator

Re: custom clodbuster chassis

Post by SFC K » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:38 am

Looking good so far. 8) What are your plans for mounting the electronics? It looks like you don't have a whole lot of room to work with.
Jeff

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:47 am

Chassis looks great. Why go to all the effort but still use the weak plastic axle tubes and knuckles? I know a few guys on here have good luck with those parts, but I could never get them to last more than about 5 minutes.

What will your motor and esc setup be like?

clodbuster89
Approved Member

Post by clodbuster89 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:40 pm

SFC K that was my thought exactly. I'll have to come up with something creative.
Minotaur to answer your question I will be running a traxxas velineon esc with some sort of brushed motors. Also i would like to have nothing short of a full jps aluminum axle setup. I know hot racing makes axle tubes but I don't know if they make gear cases. The hot racing stuff would probably be the next best thing to jps parts.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Looks like 1/8" plates and 1/4" supports, should be plenty tough. I usually build my chassis without electronic plates. Usually just velcro them on the inside of the plates to protect them from debris.

clodbuster89
Approved Member

Post by clodbuster89 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:33 am

It's actually 1/4 " thick plates and even thicker crossmembers

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I have the Hot Racing Tubes, and a combination of knuckles, Hot Racing on the front and Integy on the rear. The guys on here will tell you that Integy, of the two, makes the better parts. My Hot Racing tubes have never given me any trouble, but it is pretty easy to bend the arms on their knuckles.

Hot Racing does make the gear cases, but they are expensive and I don't think they are necessary from a durability perspective. http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?par ... B1012;c=38

For brushed motors, the Traxxas Titan Monster 550's are good; they come off of a brushed E-Revo and the nice part is that one is reverse rotation. The downside with them is that they are big, and limit your steering options. I've been through several different setups and I believe any steering setup that is unprotected, on the front of the truck, is asking for trouble. Since I recently went to brushless, I was able to go back to a BTA setup, and the steering is now much less vulnerable. If you are a great driver, and never bump anything, then it really wont' matter.

I would consider brushless over brushed. You can get the motors I got (Tacon 5900's) for about $25 each online. You will have to run two ESC's, but I think it is worth it. If you want to see my setup, check out the Bullhead turned Predator build thread.

Can you still get JPS stuff?

Keep us posted on your progress and best of luck with the build.

clodbuster89 wrote:SFC K that was my thought exactly. I'll have to come up with something creative.
Minotaur to answer your question I will be running a traxxas velineon esc with some sort of brushed motors. Also i would like to have nothing short of a full jps aluminum axle setup. I know hot racing makes axle tubes but I don't know if they make gear cases. The hot racing stuff would probably be the next best thing to jps parts.

clodbuster89
Approved Member

Post by clodbuster89 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm

I want to go brushless but I'm worried about the durability of the stock gears. I also want to have a waterproof brushless system which means either the sidewinder v3 or the traxxas velineon. If I do go brushless (which I want to) I'll have to find alot more room in my chassis somehow. :lol:

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Good luck fitting it all in your chassis - it is just one more ESC, how hard can it be? :lol: Castle brushless motors are waterproof. I don't know if the Tacon 5900's are waterproof, but they are so cheap, it is worth a try.

The stock gears are pretty strong. That said, 2 out of 3 gears in my rear gearbox are metal now (locker and the 44t counter gear) - front gearbox is stock. With Castle ESC's, you can use the punch control to limit the abuse on the gearbox. If you can't tell, I'm sold on brushless now, but then I really like near uncontrollable speed. I got one of the field programming cards, and it is super easy to use.
clodbuster89 wrote:I want to go brushless but I'm worried about the durability of the stock gears. I also want to have a waterproof brushless system which means either the sidewinder v3 or the traxxas velineon. If I do go brushless (which I want to) I'll have to find alot more room in my chassis somehow. :lol:

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 pm

The stock gears will hold up to brushless. I've been running castle 6900s with 13t pinions in mine for about 2 years now and still have the same set.

clodbuster89
Approved Member

Post by clodbuster89 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Yeah I know brushless is the way to go. I have 3 other cars with brushless(and many more over the years) and lipos and have not looked back. I just have never run brushless in a clod before and didn't know if it was up to the task. I know alot of the people run brushless in there clods on here but didn't know if it required a lot of upgrades.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 pm

The best way to go about that is to put it in (brushless) and see what breaks, and also why it broke.
If you break something during *ahem* ... "normal" running, you probably need to upgrade.
If you break something because you messed up... #-o ... well you really can't hold that against the truck.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 pm

andymac0035 wrote:The best way to go about that is to put it in (brushless) and see what breaks, and also why it broke.
If you break something during *ahem* ... "normal" running, you probably need to upgrade.
If you break something because you messed up... #-o ... well you really can't hold that against the truck.
Well said! :wink:
Jeff

clodbuster89
Approved Member

Post by clodbuster89 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Well that is what I've done with all my other rc's so why not do it with the clod. :) I was just trying to get some insider info :lol:

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:44 pm

I agree. Just do it.