My collection so far...

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
percymon
Approved Member

My collection so far...

Post by percymon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Five months ago, i started my childhood dream of RC cars, aged 41 !

Here's my lot to date..

1st Tamiya Manta Ray..

..not everyone likes the looks, but i thought it quite sci-fi and true of the early 80's it was born in. Started off as a £17 ebay win, like this...

and after a bit of cleaning and rebuilding with new driveshafts, bodyshell and rear shock tower it ended up like this..

Paint is Fastrax Chameleon Jade, backed with Jet Black - its a flip flop colour from very intense green through to gold - really suits the curves of the shell. I still have the original wheels/tires but the ones in the photo's are some cheap Ansmann racing ones, about £12 for the lot.

2nd Tamiya Hotshot..

Another ebay auction win, and even at £10 you need to look hard to see the Hotshot bits in amongst the myriad of other Tamiya bits !. Started off as...

The rear suspension set-up in the last photo is a rare hop-up, with carbon fibre tower, modified lower brackets and CVA dual oil filled shocks instead of the traditional monoshock. After rather a lot of new parts (cost about the same as buying a new kit !), it ended up this on its original Hotshot wheels..

and on some Seben Racing rims n tyres ..

Fitted with EZRun sensorless brushless ESC and 4300kV motor running off NiMH. The hop-up parts are saved for another day, the car returned to original monoshock configuration front and rear.

3rd Tamiya DF-02 Rising Storm
- built from new kit for my son at Christmas

4th Project Cloider - reported in the Monster Truck Projects section

from this..

to this..

and next ?

I've got a Tamiya 2WD Blitzer Beetle to strip, clean and rebuild with ball bearings and a Hobbyking brushless 3980kV brushless system running off 2S Lipo. Think it needs a new shell :lol:

and then ?

another Clod ?, maybe keep it stock chassis next time round but load it with uprated motors ?

So that's me for now - not too bad for 5 months ;)

vonclod
Approved Member

Re: My collection so far...

Post by vonclod » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 pm

good start man, nice 8)
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

todd ritchings
Approved Member

Post by todd ritchings » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:01 am

What shocks are you runing on your clod in pics!

todd ritchings
Approved Member

Post by todd ritchings » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 am

Need shocks for my zilla bulid my 90mm do not fit Don't fit lower links. The ball ends are to big !

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 am

Some great work goin on there!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:11 am

todd ritchings wrote:Need shocks for my zilla bulid my 90mm do not fit Don't fit lower links. The ball ends are to big !
Those look like standard E-maxx/T-maxx shocks to me.
Traxxas XXL ultra shocks. (what I have on my clod too)
Also used on the rear of most Traxxas 1/10th scale R/C's as well.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:13 am

.....Oh and BTW.....I am really liking that Tamiya Manta Ray!!!!!!

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:42 am

todd ritchings wrote:What shocks are you runing on your clod in pics!
Andy is correct they are STD traxxas e/t maxx shocks. I've changed the traxxas oil for some 50wt silicon oil as they were too soft for bashing ( maybe ok for crawling). The rear shocks also compressed a lot under acceleration. The higher rated oil has helped but I have some traxxas 4957r progressive springs arriving today which I hope will be a bit harder and help further.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Be sure to post up how they do. The general concencus (not here BTW) is that the traxxas progressives are too soft at first and too hard afterwards. Most people seem to want linear springs. But this feedback was not in a MT application......so it may not apply.
But FWIW, the prefered spring seems to be losi.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

andymac0035 wrote:Be sure to post up how they do. The general concencus (not here BTW) is that the traxxas progressives are too soft at first and too hard afterwards. Most people seem to want linear springs. But this feedback was not in a MT application......so it may not apply.
But FWIW, the prefered spring seems to be losi.
You might be right Andy - i collected the progressive springs from my local hobby shop at lunchtime, and just testing them between my fingers they dont seem any better overall than the stock 4957 red springs. At least swapping the shock oil from the 25 ? wt stock Traxxas stuff to 50wt has firmed things up, although i'd prefer the springs to be doing this rather then the shocks. There is a set of Fastrax hard springs available for the T Maxx in the UK, so i may try those sometime in the future.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Cool rigs! Love the Hot Shot! You might want to check this out.

http://www.rccarparts.biz/product_info. ... cts_id=407

I noticed this the other day while looking for some CC-01 parts and saw this kit. Now if I only had a Hotshot... :wink:

Your Clod is simply amazing by the way... 8)
Jeff

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 am

The RC Channel kit is very well engineered - and the more normal shock set up is a lot better than the monoshock system Tamiya installed, especially if you want to use in vintage racing. Even though i had the rear hop up parts, and was offered the brackets for a front hop up i wanted to keep this one true to Tamiya design. Love it or loathe it the monoshock system is pretty unique, and at the rear is quite a clever set-up (if still flawed !). This one will be more a shelfer than a runner, too nice to run lol!!

Looking for my next build now - after the quality of the Gmade Spider kit, i'm tempted to go with the Gmade R1 Rock Crawler kit, but put a silly brushless in it like a 7.5T :lol:

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 am

SFC, does that website have any clod parts?

I did not see much there. I am going to design and cut/build/stamp a carbon fiber chassis and I want all alum or CF parts on it.

The greenish paint is out of this world, Great job Percy! :arrow: =D>

tipsyxb

Post by tipsyxb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:50 pm

well after reading all the reply's i cant believe no one asked you what servo mounts/bumpers you have on the clod buster? i just cant find anything like that but new era and they are all sold out. thanks

BackToThePast
Approved Member

Post by BackToThePast » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:15 am

Wow, those are some pretty amazing transformations! Nicely done. I've always loved the Hotshot. I'm going to have one one of these days...