rs4 .15 pinging?

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
RC_MANIAC21
Approved Member

rs4 .15 pinging?

Post by RC_MANIAC21 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:34 am

im working on a Hpi RS4 for a friend and when i pull the starter it pings...like i gear grinding ping....do i need a new pullstart? im to tired to mess with it tonight...i'll take it apart tomorrow, but if anyone knows what to do....well, basically i need help getting it into running condition...im going to pick up sum glow plugs later this week.

thanks, Nick~

RC_MANIAC21
Approved Member

Post by RC_MANIAC21 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:45 am

ok...the motor is a nitro star .15FE.

my next question is where does the vent for the fuel tank hook up to? it wont start because the tank is not pressurized, therefore its getting no fuel....i'll work on the pullstart but i need to know how to get fuel to the engine....

thanks alot, any help is much appretiated!

NicK~

Suprachrgd82
Approved Member

Post by Suprachrgd82 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:34 am

If it's doing that while it's running, it sounds like the motor is running too hot. Try backing out the high speed adjustment 1/4 turn....

If it's not the motor, it may be the gear backlash. Adjust it by loosening the motor mounts. Place a strip of paper or part package plastic between the gears and re-tightening the motor mounts.

If it's not either of those, PM me and I'll help.
You do not talk about Fight Club.......

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:15 am

there should be a place on the stinger for the pressure line
Jiggy jiggy wham wham YEAH!

envious8420
Approved Member

Post by envious8420 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:06 am

pinging could be the end of the rod in the crank case. :(
Fast Fords for life!
My 1:1 Ranger
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/246028
So good it'll make you wanna slap yo' mama.

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm

The pinging is likely the clutch bell housing. This is not abnormal, but make sure everything is set up like it should be just in case. As far as the fuel tank, like it was said above, there is a hole in your exhause pipe, the fuel tank pressure hose goes there.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

RC_MANIAC21
Approved Member

Post by RC_MANIAC21 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:57 pm

ok, i found the nipple on the pipe....
i'm going to take the pullstart off and see if there is an obvious reason its making this noise...its when i pull the cord to start it that it makes the noise....thanks alot to all of you for your help!

NicK~

P.S. my dumb self didnt look all over the pipe...i just assumed it would be in a visible position....it was on the inside at a recessed point on the pipe....thanks again!!

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:29 pm

I'm not sure that pulling the pullstart assembly will tell you anything. It's not likely at all that this is where the sound is coming from. There's nothing in there but a plastic spool, a spring, a one-way bearing and some pull-start string.

If you flick the Clutch Bell with your finger, you whould hear the same sound you are hearing when you pull the starter cord. As long as it's not wobbly, it should be fine to run.

On a side note, if you do decide to pull the pull-start assembly apart and clean the one-way bearing, make sure you lube it before you put it back together. Too many people (me included) when they first look at one of those figure it needs to be squeaky clean to properly work. Not so. As a matter of fact, there are actually manufacturers that make specific oil for one-way bearings. A little After Run Oil will work well though. If you are looking for a good cleaner, try soaking it in Nitro for an hour or so. Sometimes that does the trick.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

RC_MANIAC21
Approved Member

Post by RC_MANIAC21 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:26 pm

ok, i fixed the pinging...and i drove it for about an hour....man, this is the first nitro i have ever played with and i must say...I AM GETTING ONE!!! they are awsome! anyways....thanks alot to all of you for your help..

Nick~