New to the world of Clods, looking to build a modclod as my first project, what chassis should I go for? (I'm UK based)

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
percymon
Approved Member

Re: New to the world of Clods, looking to build a modclod as my first project, what chassis should I go for? (I'm UK bas

Post by percymon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am

I utilised the carbon centre chassis, and sourced the Vaterra lower links (from the Twin Hammers) locally in UK. I did get caught for import duties, but i also bought an alloy chassis at the same time and sold that on eBay to recover a few quid.

The alloy strenghtening parts were all sourced from UK eBay, i think from Far East sellers.

Riddy

Re: New to the world of Clods, looking to build a modclod as my first project, what chassis should I go for? (I'm UK bas

Post by Riddy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:30 am

Thats impressive looking mate, ill look into the parts, whats the general opinion on the KK2 chassis ?

Edit: I also meant to ask, how bad were the import fees?

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:49 am

Import fees into UK apply on items over (may have changed, but from recollection) £15. That's the declared value of the item AND the shipping fees.

So if the items are $100 and $32 shipping then you're looking at ca £100 as the basis of fees

In this case the value is below £135, so you don;t have to pay customs duty (typically 2.5% otherwise, but varies dependent upon the class of item being imported). You will have to pay VAT, at the standard 20% rate..

So 20% of £100 ($135) = £20

You will also pay a handling fee - if the item is handled by Royal Mail PO then that's normally about £8, if handled by Parcel Force then nearer £17.

For a small package I'd expect it to come via the cheaper option, so add £8 handling fee.

Total cost of your $135 order, delivered in UK = £100 (goods and carriage) + £20 VAT + £8 handling = £128

Now not all items get charged, although in my experience anything from the USA above about £25 gets caught for fees.

USA sellers will not declare lower values on parcels (unlike Far East sellers), so this further increases the likelihood of items being caught for fees. Sometimes it may be beneficial to ask a US resident to buy, then they send it on as a gift and lower value. 'Gift' status has slightly different import duties, they only charge VAT on items above £39 (value and shipping).

It is a lottery importing from the USA - but if you do go down this route, I'd suggest you prepare yourself for 95% certainty of being caught for fees.

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:01 pm

The KK2 plus shipping is looking like £250 in total, so saying its caught for fee's, would be £50 VAT + £6.25 for customs duty, this is using this https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty as a base assuming im reading it right? Granted its a bit steep for just getting it into the country, but the KK2 chassis is one of the best from people i've asked, and its worth it considering its the only way to get the chassis.

It looks like 99% of the other parts I can get in the UK or Europe so this is probably the single most expensive part, although I was researching axles, and if i go for the clod axles, that looks like a total minefield money wise.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 am

Riddy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:01 pm
The KK2 plus shipping is looking like £250 in total, so saying its caught for fee's, would be £50 VAT + £6.25 for customs duty, this is using this https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty as a base assuming im reading it right? Granted its a bit steep for just getting it into the country, but the KK2 chassis is one of the best from people i've asked, and its worth it considering its the only way to get the chassis.

It looks like 99% of the other parts I can get in the UK or Europe so this is probably the single most expensive part, although I was researching axles, and if i go for the clod axles, that looks like a total minefield money wise.
You'll also have to add on handling fee , of £8-18 dependent upon the UK carrier.

So your £250 purchase is ca £320 delivered - not great, when the actual goods themselves are probably nearer £200 - shipping and all the charges make up ca 33% of the total cost to you.

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah I forgot about that one, not exactly great with all the additional fee's but all the best chassis are in the US, so there isnt really any option sadly, i keep telling myself itll be worth it when I can start building and taking shape !

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Got an update on the chassis, its been stuck at this stage:

Your item is being held in Customs at 1:14 pm on March 15, 2018 in COVENTRY PARCELFORCE, UNITED KINGDOM, probably going to have to call them see what the delay is :roll:

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:45 pm

what is the wheelbase with the vaterra links?

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Im not sure what you mean ?

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:58 pm

What is the distance from center of front axle to center of rear axle..

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:16 am

Well, I havent even bought axles for this build yet, so im not sure I can help you :shock:

Riddy

Post by Riddy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 pm

After quite a bit of discussion with various companies, including the shambles of Absoulte Chaos RC customer support (To date im still waiting over a month for just a delivery quote :roll: ) I decided to get in touch with the guys at Southwest Monster Ship, brilliant customer service and the guys couldnt be nicer, the chassis arrived all the way from the US today ! Looking forward to starting my project :)
Attachments
RC CHASSIS.jpg
RC CHASSIS.jpg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 330 times

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:08 am

wheelbase question was for percymon

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:23 am

That looks so cool! Cant wait to see what you come up with 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 am

ratpower396 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:08 am
wheelbase question was for percymon
Off the top of my head I don't know, but its definitely shorter than my other Clod with the Gmade Spider chassis (ca 16.5" from recollection)