Pro line Brawler wheel problem

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Pro line Brawler wheel problem

Post by NorthernNightmare » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi i made the mistake of installing a set of these on a smt-10 with m4 nylocks and the hex of the nut is now sunk into the plastic wheel

The 7mm side of a cross wrench, just wont grab at all. Any ideas before i cut the rim off

I wasent a fan of these wheels before for a few reasons, now even less!

They are just too brittle and soft for real bashing

Halgar
Administrator

Re: Pro line Brawler wheel problem

Post by Halgar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Have you tried needle nosed pliers or small vise grips to grab the tip of the nut?

If you don't like them and won't be using them anymore, just cut the wheels off. If you want to try to salvage them, then use a dremel and hog out the plastic around the wheel nut until you can get a wrench on it. You can probably put a washer under the nut the next time you use the wheels, should you continue to run them.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 am

Yup sure did, they are the +17.5mm offset unit so there's no way, too small and deep for the smallest pliers. I did use washers in the past, but the nuts kept backing off so i ditched them. They didnt leave hardly any room around the nut.

The rims costed quite a bit almost 100 bucks, if i could at least sell them for 75 with tires id feel better about waisting the money. So i will try to find a 7mm glow T or something that dont neck up like the 7mm 1/4 drive socket ,witch wont fit these badly thought out rims. Im not a fan of jconepts tires or rims either.

Glade to sell off both the smt-10 once the kido can handle a mod clod or madforce, I run only sock clod rims or imex jumbo rims on all my trucks, learnt my lesson.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 am

Well, one last resort you could try would be to grind down a socket so that the wall is thin enough to fit. Like you said, seems like a bad design.

BTW, the glow plug wrenches I've seen have all had a pretty thick wall to them, so that's probably not going to be an option, but, if you can find one that may be the thing to grind down to fit, rather than wasting a socket.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:59 am

Got them off, finally.

Used a 7mm screw driver hex type and heated the tip with a torch.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 am

Glad you were able to find a solution! Who'd a thunk you could melt your way to victory?!?!? :eyes: :supz: \:D/