BLIZZARDS 101

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shagrat69
Approved Member

BLIZZARDS 101

Post by shagrat69 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:01 pm

ok real quick class :D

there all Kyosho models that i'm talkin about.

the original is only called the "Blizzard" they then came out with the DX. they are the same. plow on front raises up and down. they then came out with the Heavy Metal van(HM). these three models are all on the same chassis for the most part. then they came out with a completly diffrent chassis called the EP. the EP was released in two models. the EV and the Nitro. now i'll explain whats the diffrences are...

the original/DX/HM i'm goin to refer to all them as the DX cuz the only diffrence in them is that HM has the same wheels as the EP and one less then the DX.

the DX has dual motors, 360's i belive is the size, driving a gearbox, and dual batterys. it has 2 MSC type controls in it. one controls speed and the other controls the balance between the motors. to steer it put more power to one track and less to the other. it cannot control each track seperatly. they have 5 wheels W/rubber tires and a metal drive gear on both sides to drive the tracks. the susp. is metal swing arms with springs in them. the tracks are driven from the rear. the chassis is a big soild plastic tub W/straight ares sticking out that the susp. swing arms mount too. body is lexan with a clear windshield and an interior (seats/dash) also has a yellow flashing light on roof. they except for the HM have a metal snow plow mounted on front(removeable) that works up and down by a servo.

the EP EV/Nitro are exactly the same except the motors are diffrent obvoiusly. LOL EP being the chassis model name, i'll call them that.

the EP has aluminum side chassis W/aluminum motor/electronics tray and a thin plastic bottum. the EP has one motor (EV 540 size) and drives a diffed axle in the front of the RC that drives chains to the track drive gears on the outside of the chassis. stock MSC. they have a disc brake setup on each side of the diff axle that controlls the steering by stopping or slowing that sides track. they have 4 chrome plastic wheels and a plastic drive gear on each side. they have plastic swing arm susp. thats mounted to the aluminum side plates W/ springs inside them. single servo controls steering by working the brakes on each side. body is lexan with no interior and no flashing light. no plow either. they also have a metal rollbarish parts on them that comes threw the body and can be seen behind the cab if i remeber right. LOL the bar definitly is the i just don't remeber if it came threw the body and was exposed. LOL :?

PRO'S AND CON'S

the DX has the dual motor but can't control them sepratly. they drive from the rear and the front wheel has susp. so it makes the track not stay tight and thus kicks the track off alot. the plastic tub is heavy and being that there all old they also BRAKE EZ and if you brake any part of the susp then its junk!! the little motors leave it needing more power. the tranny setup is a mix of brass and plastic gears and is very noisy. 540's can be mounted with simple moddz but the tranny is weak and again if you brake it then parts are almost impossible to get for them. if you remove the MSC parts then add dual ESC's it will give full controll of both tracks sepratly. thats about the best mod i found for it. LOL

opinion on the DX.....it looks the best and works the worst. they came out with the EP for good reason. awsome for a shelfer :D

the EP has aluminum sides and RX tray but the thin plastic belly is weak. the steering works great as long as your tracks run real smooth or else it will pull to one side or the other. there's no way to drive the tracks sepratly to steer like a real tank. i also find it to be front heavy which is good and bad. the susp works good except that i have the springs pop outta place sometimes. the wheels don't look as real as the DX and have no ruber on them. they can't be driven in sand period without major moddz to protect EVERYTHING inside. if sand gets in the brakes it's STOPED and if sand gets in the drive pinion/spur gears it grinds the sand into the spur gear. i do have to say that before the sand stops it, it handles the sand very well. it also takes over 2 ft tall field grass with no problem at all. leaves my clod crawler stuck with weeds wraped around the axles. unlike the DX ALL parts for the EP models are avalible at Tower. the susp. arms are replacesable and everything else is too. if you brake it you CAN fix it. my EP/EV has every mod i could find, full BB's, Atomic force 17x2 motor, composite brake system, custom alum. belly pan, rooster ESC, and a 7 cell 3000 bat pac. W/a Midnite Pumpkin body on it.

opinion of the EP....if you want to drive your Blizzard then this is the way to go!!! LOADS of fun to drive. way diffrent then any wheeled RC!!! :D

well there you go!! CLASS DISMISSED!!!!! 8)
Attachments
333.JPG
333.JPG (28.31 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
444.JPG
444.JPG (23.37 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
222.JPG
222.JPG (41.44 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
777.JPG
777.JPG (46.75 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
555.JPG
555.JPG (44.74 KiB) Viewed 2279 times

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:13 pm

the EP/EV
Attachments
ev.JPG
ev.JPG (26.85 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
ev2.JPG
ev2.JPG (23.55 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
ev3.JPG
ev3.JPG (28.62 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
ev4.JPG
ev4.JPG (32.42 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
DX-EV.JPG
DX-EV.JPG (34.31 KiB) Viewed 2278 times

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:19 pm

any questions or if any more pics are needed just PM me and i'll be glad to help!! :D

mnstrbetle
Approved Member

Post by mnstrbetle » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:22 am

I'm going to get me one of those some day. They are just too cool!!

How come it looks like one of your speed control links is longer than the other one in the third picture down? Shouldn't they be the same length?

Nice looking Blizzards Shag!
Hurricanes...earthquakes...tsunamis...tornadoes....No Thanks, I'll take a snow storm any day.

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:39 am

i recon they shoulda been the same lenght but i tore all that out and put in 2 ESC's instead and was done with them. LOL :twisted:

bluriot

Post by bluriot » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:46 am

Heres a quick question shag.... would u sell it to me?? :lol:
yaddiddameean

wahrsuul

Re: BLIZZARDS 101

Post by wahrsuul » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Nice writeup, I hadn't paid much that there was anything other than the original Blizzard.

IIRC the original Blizzard didn't have the plow, that was a later addition, at least in Japan. When I picked up mine up in the mid-late 80s, the catalog showed the Red model, then next year was the Yellow model with the plow and the "roller" on the back. Most guys I know didn't use the plow if they had it - 3 channel radios were more expensive.

As for motors, I'm not sure about the OEM size. 380 sounds about right, the original Grasshopper had a 380 motor, and think they were about the same size. For more power. we went to Kyosho's electric airplane side and used the LeMans AP29BB. It's a little larger than the stock motors, so some machining was needed, but it was a decent power boost. Also, we'd remove the strange dual MSC setup and go to a "standard" dual MSC setup where each motor was controlled independently. You could make it spin in place that way.

ReckONE

Post by ReckONE » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 am

Apperently I have joined the right place haha. I have had a few Blizzard DF-300 versions. I recently rebuilt my nitro one. Although I am thinking of going brushless with it instead. Its a consistant project, but I cant seem to be without one of these at least lol.
Attachments
2016-04-14 20.50.25.jpg
2016-04-14 20.50.25.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

wahrsuul

Post by wahrsuul » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Haven't seen a Nitro blizzard before, must be impressive. I could say the last time mine ran. Since I've been down south, not a whole lot of snow to be running around in.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:17 am

Cool I got three blizzards they are a blast, SR, FR, and EV unit.

Has anyone try'd the upgrade drive sprockets, the guy is selling them on e-bay they look like they might do the trick for preventing snow packing, and better track engagement

Also how about the metal tracks do they even help?

Basher67

Post by Basher67 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:54 am

This is my Heavy Metal. I have the newer style tracks on it because, as stated, original parts are very hard to come by. Mine is completely stock and with an 8.4 nimh battery it will do "wheelies" in forward and reverse. These are a ton of fun. When I used to go see the monster truck shows in the late 80's, tracked vehicles like the bigfoot shuttle tank van, were a big hit. These look right at home sitting next to monster trucks.
Attachments
heavy metal.JPG
heavy metal.JPG (145.28 KiB) Viewed 224 times

sublunacy
Banned Member

Post by sublunacy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

i love fast blizzards. well done kyosho again