Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #2

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #2

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:32 pm

So, much to my fiance's chagrin, my oldest son decided upon first sight of my Slash racer that he wanted one as well. He had a Rustler that he was willing to convert so we set to work. Got a screaming deal on a Traxxas LCG chassis and ordered a full catalog of RPM parts (arms, carriers, knuckles, transmission housing with adjustable toe mounts) as well as some wheels and tires (Proline Trenchers mounted on RPM Revolver Spline-Drive wheels). The truck is mostly done save for the knuckles, carriers, transmission, and a few other bits and bobs. We ordered an Atomik 15 turn mod motor for it which was awesome. For 10 minutes. :explosion: :censored: :censored: :censored: It got so hot when it fried that the glue holding the labels on almost caught fire. It was smoking heavily. I didn't know I could pull a motor that fast. Anyways, that aside here are the current pics.

I'll post up a comprehensive parts list in a few hours once I have tallied all the parts we are using. As it sits we just wanted to get it together with the parts we had on hand and do a quick fun run before pulling it down for round 2 of parts once they arrive. The only thing left in the air for now is the power system. I was going to use stock esc and a mod motor but now I'm figuring to just run the same Hobbywing SC8 esc and 4700kv motor I have in my truck. The stock Titan is 5? years old and tired. I could get another $20 Titan but I'd like both trucks to be even other than chassis for a comparison of the benefits of both chassis style (STRC vs Traxxas). Decisions decisions lol.
Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #2

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:38 pm

Nice to see the boy joining in. =D>

Does the rear have tow?.... hard to tell in the pics.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:54 pm

It doesn't yet. It will when I get the RPM transmission case. Then it will have 3 degrees. I'm going to set both trucks up identically to start and both will for sure have rear toe. I can't believe the difference that made when I tried it on my truck. Thanks for that suggestion btw. And you'll be happy to know both trucks are running proper offsets front and rear rather than 4 front or 4 rear lol. Btw Andy I'm curious as to why you didn't like the Traxxas lcg chassis.
Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:56 pm

LOL.... You are gonna' be mad when you see your lap times with LCG and brushless vs mine with HCG and 12T.... :wink:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Haha gee thanks. I have no doubt about that. I haven't been on track in a long time besides a couple weeks ago and that was only a few laps with that wire that kept coming off. Everything SHOULD be sorted now. I haven't been able to recreate that problem since the last time we soldered it.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Well that's good, I was worried that HW quality had taken a nose-dive.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Our little fighter. Coming up on 2 years since his bone marrow transplant and there are no traces of the cancer.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:08 pm

That is awesome!
You got a good kid there. :thumbsup:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Still waiting for his motors to come in. Got him a new Titan 12 to practice on then once he gets the hang of it I ordered him one of the Tsky 120a speed controls with a sensored 10.5t motors from neewer. Speed control was only $22. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131558697216?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT I have a video of him practicing on the impromptu track we set up here at home running my truck so will try to get that up soon. He does well until he knows someone is watching him besides me, be it his mom or the camera lol. He got 4 full packs in alternating between track time and street speed runs to break it up and keep it fun for him.

Edit: Video of his best run. Ignore him tagging the pole lol.

[youtube]pY74NVVtMU0&[/youtube]

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:09 pm

[youtube]ov1x6ZK3S6s[/youtube]
Video from his first race. Look closely and you'll see one handsome devil next to the driver's stand marshalling cars. LOL In all honesty he did good and we BOTH learned alot. Such as the wonders of clear nail polish as thread lock. His bum of a mechanic (me :oops: ) could barely keep his car together. I didn't get to race this week but I am definitely in next week. Got a surprise or two in store for both trucks.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 am

He did really well, and you could see him improve as the day went on.
We are starting to get a lot more father/son teams coming out, and I think it really does not get any better than that.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Came home to a big box'o'goodies tonight. Baby got a new pair of shoes!

Hot Bodies Beams in pink (super soft) compound running Proline v2 blue foams. Mounted them on some JConcepts Rulux wheels. I think she looks pretty. Here's the truck in full race trim and tune. Gonna be a fun day at the track this week.

I made sure to go over the truck with a fine tooth comb tonight and thread lock EVERYTHING. What didn't get thread locked got a nylon locking nut to capture it. I am NOT having the same issues as last week lol.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:50 pm

So we had planned on waiting for my son to get some more track time on his stock motor before we installed his sensored brushless setup but after discussing it we decided to wire it in and just adjust the throttle end points as necessary for him. At least now he will have ample power and lipo cut-off (he had the old, non-lvc xl-5). Pics of the system prior to install:
Here it is installed and ready to go:
I probably achieved my personal best results soldering this all together. I used servo tape to install the esc to the battery hold down to keep the electronics weight central on the chassis as well as to facilitate the motor wire length I was given. I'm quite pleased with the overall fit and finish of the installed system.

Results:
Truck has only run on the bench but initial impressions are good. Smooth power and zero cogging even at minimum throttle input. Got it all adjusted using my Hobbywing programming card. This esc does not have settings 11 and 12 on the card (lipo cell detection and i think thermal protection enable/disable). Will be ordering the lcd programmer as soon as I can to re-flash it to the Hobbywing firmware. Sunday is going to be a fun day. :o

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 pm

I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Don't you racers bother with a plug from the motor to esc so you can disconnect?

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 am

Some racers might but I didn't have any so straight connection it is. Theoretically no plugs eliminates all resistance between esc and motor. Most of the big name racers run straight connection as well.