Advantages and disadvantages between Gecko and Venom

Support forum for RCGUY products.

Moderator: RCGUY

offroadford4x4
Approved Member

Advantages and disadvantages between Gecko and Venom

Post by offroadford4x4 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:50 pm

What's advantages and disadvantages between Gecko and Venom? How do they compare in things like crawling, backyard bashing, jumping, racing, handling on and off pavement ETC?

Thanks,
Ron

http://www.rcguy.com/products/venom/venomkit.php
:confuse:
Stock TLT 4wd/4ws 15x2 Orion
TLT crawler custom chassis & Bronco body
Xtended pede with Tamiya F150 body
Bennett Clod
HPI RS4 Pro3 w/ 53 F100 body
1/6 CXT w/ Nylint crawler tires
65 GTO ProStreet Project / Ghopper chassis

RCGUY
Business Member

Re: Advantages and disadvantages between Gecko and Venom

Post by RCGUY » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:18 am

[

Hello Ron,
The Gecko is the best choice for either bashing or rock crawling. It is designed to have the maximun articulation possible. The Gecko 1 and the Gecko 2 can handle bashing without any problem with the right selection of shocks, shock springs and shock oil. To be a great bashing truck you will need to use different motors, pinion gears,and probably wheels and tires too.
If you want to crawl you can use the same shocks but you will need to change to a lighter spring than you use for bashing and your shock oil will need to be much heavier too. I recommend 30 wt oil for crawling. To get the truck slowed down and increase the torque to power you over really big rocks you will need 8 or 9 tooth pinion gears. and there is no way you will be doing any jumping with them. Although I was a little late in adopting the 55 turn lathe motors I now think they are pretty near the top of the list for crawling.

The Gecko long wheelbase or Gecko LWB is strictly for crawling. It has a very soft ride and while it could be used for bashing it will not be very exciting but it comes alive on the big rock courses.

The Gecko 1 and 2 have been used for racing and with the addition of a sway bar they handle very well. Their low center of gravity and their tough construction make them very competetive . One of the Gecko 1s has been racing in the midwest on carpet for 2 years and has not broken anything except some ballends and of course a few Clodbuster axle tubes.

The Venom is a very strong back yard basher but like almost all cantilever set-up it has less articulation than the 4 link set-up used on the Gecko. The Venom has more parts and is heavier than the Gecko. We have some sponsered racers using the Venom at least one of them is inline for some national recognition this year.

Please email me for a faster response to your questions. I don't get to surf the forums as much as I like, but I treat emailed questions as high priority. michael@rcguy.com

offroadford4x4
Approved Member

Post by offroadford4x4 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:57 pm

Thanks for the info Michael :mrgreen:
:confuse:
Stock TLT 4wd/4ws 15x2 Orion
TLT crawler custom chassis & Bronco body
Xtended pede with Tamiya F150 body
Bennett Clod
HPI RS4 Pro3 w/ 53 F100 body
1/6 CXT w/ Nylint crawler tires
65 GTO ProStreet Project / Ghopper chassis

sniper_ns

hi

Post by sniper_ns » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:24 am

i just have a standard clod and i would like to upgrade chassis first of course and have been trying to compare the jps pro to the ripper and gecko 2

i would like the biggest and most flexible kit with the longest wheelbase but also want it to handle the rocks well and maybe some steps and other obstecles

any input would help thanx

RCGUY
Business Member

Re: hi

Post by RCGUY » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:42 pm

Hello Sniper_ns,
The Gecko LWB is nomimally listed as a 16 inch wheel base but it can be streched to 17.5" with the right shock set up and ride height. It has more than 90 degrees of articullation and is built for the rocks tough like all the Geckos. You can order it with custom length wheelbases for the same price of $199.00

nub

Post by nub » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:52 pm

im glad i read this post. i had a clodzilla 4 chasis cantiliver and i thought it would be good for crawling but every thing went wrong it takes 5 lbs of pressure fo rthe shocks to budge the shocks bing witht the chasis its jsut a mess so i sold it for 160 and im in the market for a new chasis and i like the geckos design, if i were to purchase a lwb gecko could i jump it and have some fun with it or is it more just for crawling. and is there a benifit with the lwb compared to stock wb gecko and geck 2?

Krod Clod

Post by Krod Clod » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:31 pm

If you want to bash and occasionally crawl....get a Gecko II
Machined lower links are much better than the first gen's clamp style.
:invisable:
black is back

Rockcrawler
Approved Member

Re: hi

Post by Rockcrawler » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:39 am

82supra wrote:Hello Sniper_ns,
The Gecko LWB is nomimally listed as a 16 inch wheel base but it can be streched to 17.5" with the right shock set up and ride height. It has more than 90 degrees of articullation and is built for the rocks tough like all the Geckos. You can order it with custom length wheelbases for the same price of $199.00
This is pics of my Gecko streached to 17 1/4 wheel base. The shocks are about 2 1/2 inches from the end of the link....not the hole in the link end. This is a good setup. The ride height is about where I want it and I get about 85 degrees of flex......I could move the shocks in and get way over 90 degrees.

Also, Mike is a very good guy to deal with. All my stuff is shipped quickly. Very good custmer support too. Very quick on emails. :wink:

BTW...This truck also won the Souther Fun Run 3 in Guntersville Alabama a few days after this pics were taken. :lol:
Attachments
100_1690.jpg
100_1690.jpg (79.7 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
18.jpg
18.jpg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
FORD RACING!!!!!!!!

nub

ahhh

Post by nub » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:21 pm

has any one been able to get a hold of mike cause i havent i e-mailed him and pmd him and no responce, whats the deal?

Rockcrawler
Approved Member

Re: ahhh

Post by Rockcrawler » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:05 am

nub wrote:has any one been able to get a hold of mike cause i havent i e-mailed him and pmd him and no responce, whats the deal?
They are probably just real busy....the last time I talked to Mike they all had the Flu. :cry:
FORD RACING!!!!!!!!