Best body for a Gecko 1?

Support forum for RCGUY products.

Moderator: RCGUY

big_mack

Best body for a Gecko 1?

Post by big_mack » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:44 pm

Hello fellow RCGuy'ers!
I have a question for you who own a gecko v. 1. what bodies fit well on a gecko?
I have seen bodies that work okay with the gecko body posts, but i want to know which one has the best overall fit (if that makes sense).
thanks PEACE
TLT-Leafspring Chevy in progress (still)

MicroDiladum

Post by MicroDiladum » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:43 am

I think it just depends on where you make your mounting holes. All bodys work great. You just gotta find the best place to put those holes.
Building things with the wrong tools since '85

Krod Clod

Post by Krod Clod » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:23 am

ditto. and remember. 90 degrees of artic is only at EXTREME angles...so you may need to limit the shocks to have less....

try mounting the body (cut and trimmed) before you paint it up. then flex your truck and see if it clears...

Matt
:invisable:
black is back

Surferboy

Post by Surferboy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:21 am

I found that Hpi makes bodies that are just a little wider and they fit the gecko body posts well. I run a Proline Cj8 the side's do bow out I little but it fits well and looks awsome.

Surferboy
To be surprised, To wonder, Is to began to understand.

WR450F

Post by WR450F » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:25 pm

i just noticed something... i didnt even read your guys responses and i noticed that all the people that have responded to this post all run proline Jeep bodys.

Including me!!! :shock:

so there ya go...

but id recomend trying something different. but make sure its sturdy enough to survive the geckos body post style tho. im trying to decided between the bronco and the hpi jeep. ooooor maybe the LC body? :roll:

big_mack

Post by big_mack » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:47 pm

Yeah, i would jove the CJ8 body or a FJ40 body but i have seen too many people with those.
I was thinking maybe a parma classic off road body (thats what its called) or the atomik F-350.
I know what you mean about the body posts being a little harsh. i have a stadium truck body right now, and its about an inch too narrow for the posts, so it has beeh bashed like mad on rollovers. A couple times it actually came off over the body pins.
PEACE

WR450F

Post by WR450F » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:04 pm

oh and id also highly recomend getting the long body clips that go thro both posts.

makes life easier. :wink:

big_mack

Post by big_mack » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:22 pm

Are those the associated wing clips???
I have looked at those before but i wasnt sure if they would fit on a post like on the gecko, i thought wing posts were smaller.
Thanks, PEACE

WR450F

Post by WR450F » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:40 pm

ya their assosiated clips, they are smaller than standard sizes but they work alot better becasue they stay on alot better.

fastfred
Approved Member

Post by fastfred » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:14 pm

The HPI Landcruiser looks cool. It narrows down a bit in the front of the body, which distorts it alittle bit, I think its a 8 out of 10 fit.

The HPI Bronco is classic, a little narrower than the Gecko, but looks pretty scale. Its also a 8 out of 10 fit, IMO.

Image[/img]

RCGUY
Business Member

Post by RCGUY » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:41 am

Hi
I just got around to reading this thread, I had 50 emails in the last couple of days and have not been on the forum. You have all posted some good looking trucks!! We only have about 10 or 12 different bodies here in the shop and did not know that some of you were having trouble fitting some bodies to the Geckos. Jason Carter alerted us to the problem when he was writing the article about the Gecko in the new RC Driver Magazine. he had some trouble with the Pro-line Toyota Land Crusier body. (You can read his comments in the article on page 116 of the October Driver on the stands now. This is the first mainsteam magazine article on RC Crawling and we understand that more are in the works even coverage of competitions)

Enough horn blowing back to the topic!!!

Given your and Jason's comments on the Geckos side mounted body posts do you think we should do something different. Maybe we could offer 2 different lengths of body posts say the standard 2 inchand some shorter 1 1/2 inch? Should we include an extra set in the chassis kits and raise the price a little for everyone or should we just offer the shorter ones as a extra part on the web site? Making the different length is no problem and 2 inches is just a size that works with the hard plastic Clodbuster body.
Let us know what you want, body posts are like the Gecko LWB we can make it any length you want..

big_mack

Post by big_mack » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:28 am

Make the different post lenghts available easily. Allow the buyer to pick one of the lengths and then maybe buy the other length at the same time (if desired) for like $5-10??? I dont know the cost to make the posts.
Just an idea.
And thanks for the reply michael!
PEACE

fastfred
Approved Member

Post by fastfred » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:37 am

I think the 'Cruizer looks kick-a on the Gecko.

An alternate form of mounting, or maybe additional mounting locations would be cool. I can't count how many body clips I've lost in just a short amount of time, and with good nylon-coated clips. I'm tempted to simply wire the body to the mounts. Maybe some wide side-plates, mounted with industrial velcro might work well, or just some simple (and sturdy) vertical mounts through the roof. I do like the stability that the side mounts add, but they sure seem to get beat up alot. I'm not sure if velcro is the answer, just an idea.

Maybe I'll just use long body clips and bend them so they're locked...

Ultima ST

Post by Ultima ST » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:52 am

Try the Parma Chevy Blazer body, from the pics I have seen it looks to be on the wider side of things.

Acurabat

Post by Acurabat » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:17 pm

I'm a little late in this but please (RC Guy) do not include extra posts if the costs are going to go up. In my opinion the current length is good enough so stick with it. Unless the customer specifies a certain length then its great you can do it for them.

But if you guys don't care about using plastic or nylon I'd rather grab some Duratrax posts better and cut them to size. Each post has three mounting holes.