Fixing a hard body?

Talk about what bodies fit, as well as your painting, and other body techniques here.
vwjuice
Approved Member

Fixing a hard body?

Post by vwjuice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 am

Ok guys, I got an original clod a few months back so I could use it as a future build. I would like to repair the body and get it going as a runner for my zilla. This truck was beat to heck and back. Look at the pics and tell me what to do on this please?!?! The cracks are worse than the pictures show. What do you guys do and what do you use?

Thanks guys
Attachments
PIC 005.jpg
PIC 005.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
PIC 004.jpg
PIC 004.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
PIC 003.jpg
PIC 003.jpg (82.82 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
PIC 002.jpg
PIC 002.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Fixing a hard body?

Post by SFC K » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Good question Juice.

I would get some gap filling CA glue and line the cracks up as best you can and glue them together. Then take Squadron Putty and apply it to the area so it can be sanded smooth again. You need to do this a couple of times to get it perfect but a little patience and elbow grease should bring this back to life. I had to do the same to my Excaliber project but was not as bad as yours. You will need some sand paper ranging from 400 to 2000 grit to get it smooth again.

I should note that the Squadron Putty comes in two colors. Choose the one that is the lightest color, green. They are both the same really just different color. The stuff dries fast so you should be able to work within a half hour or so once it has dried. You will be able to tell as it dries darker then when it was applied.

In between sanding apply some primer to the area to see where spots need to be filled again. You will see the high and low spots as you are sanding. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions.
Jeff

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:37 pm

The filling and sanding part I get. I was mainly wondering about the actual cracks :shock: :cry:

I'll try to find some of the glue thru tower and see if that works. I will probably try to back with extra pieces of styrene as well.
SFC K is my hero!

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:03 pm

You can use a solvent based adhesive that melts the two pieces together basically welding them... Ambroid Proweld, water thin so it soaks right in the seam. Weld-On 4807 is another choice or Plastruct.

I brush on a thin layer on each side of the crack- then hold together tightly until the bond is formed (sometimes a little plastic oozes out). After it has set up I go over the seam with another wet layer allowing the fluid to flow into the joint where it might not be joined. You need to be careful here because the wet application can pull apart the seam again.

To really reinforce it then take some styrene and patch the damage from the underside. Once again use the Proweld to bond the styrene to abs plastic.
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks Bugha. I received similar instructions from shodog on rc10talk. I will try this method for sure. I need to figure out what to do about the details on the body tho. I'll need some styrene for that I think. It's not in very good shape. The drip rails are all but destroyed. I need to fix that as well.
SFC K is my hero!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 pm

I should have mentions the Plastruct glue, but I have found in the past it does not do well with older plastics. The CA gap filling glue is great stuff because it fills in chips if their are any in cracks and makes it easier to fill later.
Jeff

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:39 pm

I would try good old Testors model glue. This is definetly not the quick-set that you get with CA, but it usually welds the parts together very well.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm

The fast drying time doesn't bother me at all. I want it to be as strong as can be so I'm up for trying anything.
SFC K is my hero!

littlebudy
Approved Member

Post by littlebudy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:29 am

i use a plastic cement called plastruct bondene its good for styrene and abs plastic see if you're local hobby shop can get it over at exeter hobbies we can get it great planes carries it or try tower hobbies as well. hope this helps